AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a flat screen plasma to replace a 65" Mitsubishi HD rear projector. I see the current price on the Pioneer PRO-FHD1 and it looks to be a good value. I do not need speakers or sound processing because I will always use a receiver or pre/amp. I do not see any near term need for a tuner because I have two years on a new upgrade with DirecTV and if I ever need a tuner, I can buy one then. I understand that a monitor would not suit for everyone.

We are pretty picky when it comes to PQ and I am wondering if we will be happy with this unit compared to what is fresh on the market. We have been disappointed in the Mits with resepct to SD programming PQ, so we are looking for improvement in that regard. In addtion to D* we have a Blu-Ray DVD. No game boxes, no other peripherals.

Now, we figure that any money saved on tuner and sound innards would be passed along to better video. Do folks here agree, and is this Pioneer still THE monitor to own at around $2750? Would the same around $2750 spent on a specific TV (not montior) model offer better video performance? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
All of the new 8G Pioneer Kuro/Kuro Elites will give you a better PQ than the fhd1. You can get that better video performance and save $700 with the 5080 from Roman at Invision one of the avs forum sponsors, better price/value, better PQ and you get the stand and speakers too.

the fhd1 was a good display but Pioneer really raised the plasma tech level quite a bit with the new tech 8G glass and the fhd1 is not capable of producing the deeper blacks and higher contrast that make for the better PQ on all the 8G models.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 /forum/post/12922076

All of the new 8G Pioneer Kuro/Kuro Elites will give you a better PQ than the fhd1. You can get that better video performance and save $700 with the 5080 from Roman at Invision one of the avs forum sponsors, better price/value, better PQ and you get the stand and speakers too.

the fhd1 was a good display but Pioneer really raised the plasma tech level quite a bit with the new tech 8G glass and the fhd1 is not capable of producing the deepr blacks and higher contrast that make for the better PQ on all the 8G models.

Thanks. I am still somewhat convinced to look at a monitor because I have some fairly high-end speakers and would not use the TV speakers, anyway. Waste of money to me. Too, I am not quite convinced yet that I can go with a 50" - given that my Mits is a 65" model and we've grown used to it by now. I have seen the 60" Pioneers (and drooled), but they are a bit outta my range, price wise, and I've read where plasma over 50" just ain't "quite there" yet (wherever there is)

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4yanx /forum/post/12922157

Thanks. I am still somewhat convinced to look at a monitor because I have some fairly high-end speakers and would not use the TV speakers, anyway. Waste of money to me. Too, I am not quite convinced yet that I can go with a 50" - given that my Mits is a 65" model and we've grown used to it by now. I have seen the 60" Pioneers (and drooled), but they are a bit outta my range, price wise, and I've read where plasma over 50" just ain't "quite there" yet (wherever there is)

I wouldn't think much of what you'd pay would be for the speakers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg /forum/post/12922222

I wouldn't think much of what you'd pay would be for the speakers.

Oh, I understand that when it gets to that price range you are correct. I used to have Mitsubishi and Sony monitors years back and they always seemed to look MUCH better than ther simialrly priced full feature TV counterparts. Old habits and impressions die hard, I guess,

·
Registered
700 Posts
I saw a FHD1 next to a Pioneer Elite Kuro 768 set side by side other day. It would be good for you to go look at them side by side and make your decision and decide if the speakers, tuner, stand and if 1080p is important or not. The best solution would be to get a 110fd or maybe the 1150 but that will cost more. I have my eyes on the ones they talked about at ces that will be released probably in 2009. I made up my mind i wasn't going to spend over 3,000 to 3,500 for any tv, regardless how it looked or what it did. Then again i could also see a difference between a Pioneer and any other brand i looked at.

The first day i looked at the Kuro elite(768) and the fhd1, i liked the fhd1 better. The Kuro was playing some Pirates dvd movie and that wasn't a good movie to judge it by. The next day i thought the Kuro was beautiful with it playing a differ dvd or whatever it was showing. It really popped showing the blacks and just a beautiful picture. I could tell a difference in the blacks between the fhd1 and Kuro. The second day from about 10 feet away i think i liked the Kuro better. This was at a b&m store and i think the Kuro was over $4,000 but you can probably get any of these with a better deal online i am guessing.

I bought the fhd1 and ended up buying a Pioneer Elite receiver and a set of B&W speakers and sub with the money saved. The 5080 is a bargain i feel. A great set. I wanted 1080p and that is why i didn't get the 5080. I think it will be hard for you to know unless you go look at a fhd1 sitting next to this years Kuro. I wanted media gallery, speakers in the panel and the elite model but in the end i wasn't willing to pay the price comparred to the fhd1, when i saw them next to each other(price difference). You won't go wrong either way but if 1080p isn't that big for you i would go with the 5080 and save money.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. My budget was a bit under yours.

If I thought I could get $1500 for my virtually pristine Mitsubishi WS-65413, I'd change me mind.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I am guessing but you could probably pick up a fhd1 between 2,500 to 3,000(close outs). The 5080 should be less. I saw it at Best Buy other day also and it was really nice. I should not have ruled out 720 panel because it is really hard to notice a difference from 10 feet back. Do you have a place close by where you can look at the 5080? I waited for price drops on the 1080p sets(Kuro) but i was getting tired waiting and needed a tv in the bed room, so i went ahead and got the fhd1. I really like it or did on the show room floor and i feel i will when i get it up on the wall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts