AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
Why shouldn't someone point you to a FAQ? Or to the search? This question has been answered dozens of times.

That said, you did ask politely so here's your answer:

* Elite: Comes with big Urushi (tm) frame. Some people like the look, some find it very ugly. Comes with out-of-the-box support for standard video connections like component video, S-video, etc. Costs a ton of money.

* 503cmx: Comes with dark grey frame. Some people like the look, some find it very ugly. Is slightly smaller overall due to frame. Needs a video add-in card to work as a TV, like Pioneers 5002 or one of Aurora's soon-to-be numerous offerings. Costs a lot less money.

The picture quality of these displays is identical. People who don't believe this either didn't see them set up the same, are in denial, or are sensitive to some incredibly minute differences that many videophiles here (and there are more than a few) cannot see.

Both are eligible for in-home service, but the Elite may have a longer warranty (2 years vs. 1? not sure, honestly).

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for being polite. Really I was given a link to a FAQ about everything other than my question. I guess the search feature could have utilized so not to tie up bandwidth but...

So with a 5002 video card to support standard TV|DVD|HD type inputs we the units are VERY VERY close for the exception of cosmetics. Is that an accurate statement I Y H O?

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
Mike: Yes, that is correct. And even removing opinion from the equation, we are objectively very, very close.

·
Registered
430 Posts
mmiles

I have a pioneer 433CMX and the picture quality is identical. Also the 433 and 502 CMXs when coupled with the 5002 card are better because they have a DVI input that the Elites don't have. Also the CMX models come with free feet to hold up the plasma. The Elite has an optional stand that cost $400. The finacial irony is that if you buy the 433CMX right you can get it for 40% of the cost of the Elite.

If you purchase the CMX from Dell they include an additional on-site year warranty and there is no sales tax. If you decide to get a CMX send me a PM and I will give you an idea on how to get it for the best price possible.

Jake

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
And, just to be extra-clear, if you get the 5002, be aware that the DVI input isn't usable for video (i.e. HD STB or OTA receiver), only PC-style DVI signals. This presumably would be OK if you're planning to use an HTPC for DVD and/or HD reception. Otherwise, you'd want a non-Pioneer card (Aurora, Key Digital) for a usable DVI connection.

[I too have a 433CMX with 5002. 5002 will be replaced by something that supports DVI/HDCP and has other goodies...]

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mmiles
...So with a 5002 video card to support standard TV|DVD|HD type inputs we the units are VERY VERY close for the exception of cosmetics....
Not 'VERY VERY close'...very very IDENTICAL in perfromance. Same glass, same electronics, only external cosmetic differences.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If Muhammad won't go to the mountain, then bring the mountain to Muhammad ...

From the Brand Specific FAQ: PDP-503CMX
Quote:
What's the difference between different Pioneer models?

Apparently not a whole lot. The Elite series has a very nice black lacquer frame, and a hefty price tag. The HD series, is also more expensive, but comes with a media box that accepts lots of inputs and then connects to the display with one cable. But the value of media box versus the PDA-5002 card is questioned by many forum members.
For more information see these threads:
pioneer vs pioneer elite
pioneer elite pro800 VS. pioneer 433cmx ??
pioneer503cmx vs pioneer 5030hd
Pioneer Elite 1000HD
Pioneer Elite vs. Regular 50" Plasma
which plasma should i buy ?
Pioneer question and please don't point me to a FAQ...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chewitt
The DVI input works for video. The DVI output of my Leeza scaler feeds my 503 CMX. All sources go into the Leeza.
The reason that works is that the Leeza signal is a pc signal. The DVI input will not acept a regular video signal.

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
Alan: When is a PC signal not a PC signal? I mean your point is pretty semantic. Does the DVI work with most set-top boxes for satellite and cable? No. What are the other DVI "video" sources at this point?

I'm just noting this because "accuracy" in this case is not as important as information.

Mark

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Alan: When is a PC signal not a PC signal? I mean your point is pretty semantic. Does the DVI work with most set-top boxes for satellite and cable? No. What are the other DVI "video" sources at this point?...
The DVI works perfectly well from a pc, including an HTPC, so you can run a DVD on your HTPC rig and output via DVI to input 5 of the 503cmx (and more generally you can employ DVI to use the 503cmx as a computer monitor). The guts of a digital Leeza is really a pc, so you can use a digital Leeza instead of a HTPC and output via DVI into input 5 of the 503cmx.

What you can't do is to use DVI from devices that are not inherently pc devices -- e.g. you cannot use a normal cable box's or satellite box's or DVD player's DVI output to input into input 5.

The 503cmx manual or the 5002 manual (I forget which) actually says that you can only use the dvi input for pc signals. There are a number of threads in this forum that talk about this, but I don't remember any thread that really describes the difference between a 'pc signal' and a 'video signal' or explains why one works and the other doesn't.

Maybe someone who knows what he's talking about (i.e. not me!) can educate us on what the story is as a technical matter.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
There's a table in the 433CMX manual which lists the signal specs that the DVI will work with. Without it in front of me, I would think that refresh rate would be the key spec. Of course, why they would design it to work with only PC refresh rates is beyond me, so there's probably something more to it.

Although the fact that the 433CMX doesn't support video signals at all without the 5002 makes it pretty clear that PC display applications were foremost in Pioneer's mind when they devoloped this commercial/industrial unit. Wonder what percentage of 433/503s are in HTs, vs. commercial settings?

·
Registered
784 Posts
This *has* to be the most polite forum I have ever subscribed... We even have FAQ's about the FAQ which has almost anything anyone would want to know about anything, but yet the members continue to respond politely with great information to the newbies questions! Keep up the good work!

Sometimes newbies don't even know *what* to search for, so a straight forward forum question is an occasional good thing...

Kudos!

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
Docrings: We try :).

One thing that caused me to answer the original question was that the poster used the simple word "Please."

Then there is the matter of the fact that the default setting on the search engine often yields no results (until reset for a super slow search).

Then there is the matter that I have too much time on my hands. :D

Mark

·
Registered
891 Posts
That reminds me..are you still working on a Plasma Project? Inquiring minds want to know!:p

·
Registered
891 Posts
DeeAnn,

Marky Mark posted a couple week's ago that he may be working on some kind of Plasma Project. So I really want to know..and on top of all that I have gotten 2 emails and a phone call wanting to know about this "plasma project". Sooo as you can see I REALLY want to know ..or I am going to start forwarding emails and calls to Marky Marks cell phone! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.