AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. First of all I dont know anything about electronics. NOTHING.

I have a Pioneer VSX-923K AV receiver. Was enjoying prety much daily, until my girlfriend put some sheets of paper on top of it. I came back home, didnt noticed them, played some music loudly and it had some bad smell and a little crack or something. It wasnt working anymore, there was just Red light blinking.
I was browsing internet for solutions or some answer to what happened to it, is it dead or is it still working. And I stumbled upon some article saying that these receivers can be restarted with Key combination. Which I did, and to my surprise, it turned on! For 2 seconds. Hm, I said, lets start it again, like an old car not starting. It started again, for 2 seconds and then off. But this time there was a little bit more smoke and there was little bit of actual fire from Power Transformer (I found out how its called hehe).

My question is, do you think it is enough just to change the whole Transformer itself, or are there more problems lying deeper? I found the exact same transformer on Ebay. Also I attached some photos how it looks now. (Circled is the place where it burned)

I will apreciate ANY of the comments or suggestions, thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Unless you have had any kind of training I honestly would take it to a service center. I realize this will most likely cost more but you will know it is done correctly. You did not mention if this unit was under warranty or not.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
It is almost certainly much more than the transformer, which itself may still be OK. Take it to a tech.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless you have had any kind of training I honestly would take it to a service center. I realize this will most likely cost more but you will know it is done correctly. You did not mention if this unit was under warranty or not.
The warranty is gone already. If the problem is only with Power Transformer, I would definitely be able to change it myself. All I need to know if it is the only problem here or the is it lying somethere else (and that is causing transformer to fail).
Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is almost certainly much more than the transformer, which itself may still be OK. Take it to a tech.
Hm thanks, I might then take it to technician. Having fixed a laptop previuosly from a scratch aswell, I actually had confidence I could do it with Receiver lol

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
"Until my girlfriend put some sheets of paper on top of it."

Rule Number One - never, ever let your girlfriend, wife, mistress or anybody mess with your equipment, period! The closest they get is with a remote control and even then, the rule in my house is that I handle all things electronic in my man cave. This is not negotiable!

It sounds like you are very technically capable but even replacing the transformer or power supply might not fix your AVR. There could be other "heat damage" that you can't see and only a trained technician will be able to tell for sure.

So - - it's a crap shoot whether replacing anything without knowing first hand, what the problem is, will yield the results you are looking for.

If it was me - - I'd have my girlfriend pay for the repair or a brand new AVR. Just kidding (I think). :)

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Go buy a new AVR...
The power transformer is the most expensive component inside the AVR, then add the labor cost plus there is now later more advanced protocols and features..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Go buy a brand new AVR, the dead one is not worth repairing. The only reasons to repair a broken AVR are:

1. Sentimental value
2. AVR value bought new was upwards of $200 up.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
The warranty is gone already. If the problem is only with Power Transformer, I would definitely be able to change it myself. All I need to know if it is the only problem here or the is it lying somethere else (and that is causing transformer to fail).
Thanks for replying!
in many cases, it's not the physical replacement that's difficult. it's the diagnosis of what part actually needs to be changed. THAT'S the reason a tech would be a better option. you're basically 'guess and check' replacing parts until hopefully it works. that might end up costing a bit, or a lot, depending on how lucky you are.

i would not say i know a lot about electronics, but i have a firm grasp of the basics. basically, i know enough to know it's not worth fixing(to me). a new receiver may only be 50bux more than the cost of fixing yours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.