AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a VSX-1018ah-k that I bought a year and a half ago. I love the receiver, especially the MCACC! Anyway, I have an opportunity to sell it to a buddy and upgrade. I really want to stick with Pioneer because I'm comfortable with them and very pleased with the quality.

The speakers I'll be pairing with the receiver are listed at the bottom of my post.

My current vsx-1018 is 130Wx7. The newer 1020 and 1120 are not as powerful. It appears to me, that to actaully upgrade, for a reasonable cost, I'll have to move to an sc-25 sc-27 sc-35 or sc-37

Am I overlooking any other receivers? I don't care if they're older models as long as some new ones can still be found out there. All the extra features are nice, but all I really care about in the end is having an amazing sounding system for movies, tv, and music.

Has anyone else upgraded from the 1018? Any help would be appreciated!

250W Elemental Designs A6.t towers http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=972

200W Elemental Designs A6.mtm center
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=968

125W Energy C-200 bookshelf surrounds
http://www.energy-speakers.com/na-en...pecifications/

Elemental Designs A2-300 subwoofer
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=407

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

the "real power output" of the 1018 vs. the 1020/1120 is likely a lot closer than the specs indicate... edit: obligatory comment. most users don't use near the power that they think they do...

if the 1018 drives your speakers now, it's unlikely that the 1020/1120 won't...

to be honest, if you are happy with the 1018, and there aren't any features that you feel you are missing, you might as well just stick with what you have...

not that i'm in the habit of encouraging people to NOT spend money...
and if you "want" a new avr, that's a good enough reason for me... but you'll set yourself up for disappointment if you think that an "upgrade" is going to buy you anything if you aren't using the new features of the "upgrade"...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! I left out the fact I recently upgraded to the towers, from bookshelfs. I know I'm leaving a little bit on the table, and that's why I'd like to make a receiver upgrade. Next year I'll probably move my current towers to rears and get even larger fronts.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

the towers aren't necessarily any more difficult to drive than the bookshelves... in fact, it's likely that they are easier to drive...

if you aren't clipping (or going into thermal protection), you aren't "leaving anything on the table"...

hint: most users rarely use more than 1 watt...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not just power, perceived or otherwise
. I want great sound quality. I've heard the newer Pioneers have even better amplification. I haven't heard one though. Again, I really like the layout of the Pioneer. I'm not hell bent on buying a new one, but I have an opportunity to upgrade without too much out of pocket.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan /forum/post/19522820

It's not just power, perceived or otherwise
. I want great sound quality. I've heard the newer Pioneers have even better amplification. I haven't heard one though. Again, I really like the layout of the Pioneer. I'm not hell bent on buying a new one, but I have an opportunity to upgrade without too much out of pocket.

the "better" amplification will not change your "sound quality"... unless you are overdriving your current amplification, it will not "sound" any different...

the sc series of pioneers have the advantage of maintaining full stated output for all channels under a continuous load... if that's a requirement (and to be honest, it's a "requirement" for VERY few people), then a sc would be an "improvement" over a vsx... the sc series also have a few other features that are nice as well...

i am a card carrying pioneer fanboy...
and have owned many of their products, including the two most recent flagships... if, in my somewhat educated opinion of the products at hand, i thought there would be a sound quality difference (either perceived or real), i would tell you...

like i said... i don't discourage people from spending money, and "wanting a new avr" is a good enough reason for me (i've bought many things simply because i wanted them).... but don't expect it to perform any differently than the unit you have now...

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
You could always look at Best But Magnolia if they have one close to you and see if they are clearing out older AVRs. I have seen people get the SC-25 from them for a ridiculously low price (Below MSRP of the 1020
).

I strongly agree with ccotenj . I don't know of any "must have" feature since you bought your AVR unless you bought a 3D TV. The SC models use a different type of amplification (Class D instead of AB) which may change the sound. Odds are you aren't really upgrading. Power numbers are also the worst thing to look at from a manufacturer. Your 1018 most likely doesn't put out 30W a channel/ five channels driven. The 1019 a year later couldn't do that. I can't find a 1018 test bench chart but I would say it is most likely VERY similar to the 1019.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.