AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had settled on the 433CMX until the recent spate of issues kinda backed me off...buzzing, dead pixels, etc. Has anyone purchased one lately and what has been their experience?

Still like the unit due to size, card slot, brightness(my family room has 2 interior doors...1 french...3 large windows, a door and a slider to the outside. Lots of reflections and sun).

Just trying to find out if I should put it back on my 'A' list.

jack

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It's hard to say. I just received a new plasma from Activelight (distributor) to replace my 433cmx that had stuck green and pink pixels. Upon arrival, it had 2 stuck pixels. I couldnt believe it. Whats strange is that the next morning I had tested for the stuck pixels and the pink one (the worst one) was gone. It looks like it had "unstuck" itself. Do I feel that Pioneer has fixed its quality control problem? Hell no. Can I live with 1 stuck green pixel? Yes. Lisa at plasmaextreme.us fought hard for me to get a new set. She was even going to give me a refund and lose a substantial amount of her own money to see that I was satisfied. Two thumbs up for Lisa:) She came through again. I had pretty much decided on the refund until the pink pixel became unstuck. I realized that I could live with 1 stuck green pixel and did not feel right about Lisa spending her own money on me. Chances are that you will get a perfect set. I just have bad luck:(

·
Registered
344 Posts
I installed mine on March 12. Everything works great. I have a little over 200 hours on it. I run OTA HDTV on it through Input 1 from an HTPC VGA out, a progressive scan DVD player with component through Input 2, and a VCR which also tunes NTSC cable and passes E* on Input 4.

No buzzing - it's totally silent. I have one pixel in the upper left quadrant where the green and blue phosphors do not ignite, so that single pixel shows red all the time. It is completely NOT noticeable while viewing any source other than the white mask. I wouldn't think of returning the unit because of that, although I was told that I could return it if I chose to do so.

Basically, I am extremely pleased with my 433CMX and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is interested in a Pioneer plasma

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Got 433 end of March-no dead pixels,no buzzing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had my 433CMX for about 6 weeks now. It has no stuck/dead pixels. When I first got it, it buzzed pretty bad.. the brighter the screen, the louder it buzzed! Strangely enough, I plugged it into a different electrical outlet/power strip and the buzzing went away. It's now completely silent. Strange things are at work, here.

I say go for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not so good. Ordered my 503CMX from Dell.

First one had 2 stuck pixels. Got a replacement and this one buzzes. Waiting for a third one. I am a bit tired of packing these things back, getting the plama off and on the stand and having to stay home to receive it as well as send it back out. If this third one doesn't work, will seriously consider the Fujitsu.

Good luck!

Takeshi

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Takeshi,

That must be horrible to take out the card, take it apart, and box it up again and again. Good luck on the next one. Believe me, I know what you went through and can sympathize with your situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jack,

I purchased a 503CMX in March. It is perfect, no dead/stuck pixels, no buzzing, no green tint. The picture is superb and I couldn't be happier.

Don

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Don what is the green tint thing you mentioned all about?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am curious. Those of you with pixel issues: Did you know you had stuck/active/dead pixels before or after you listened to the advice of how to check your plasma from this forum?

I have a plasma and am perfectly happy (no...thrilled) with it. Reading all the scuttle about pixel issues I decided to do the white screen test. "Mine would never have a pixel problem!" Damn it! I found that I had a few pixels stuck pink. I, like Bill Gerhing, cannot see them unless I have the white mask on. But it's kind of a mental let down when I know they are there and catch myself in the middle of a movie looking to see if I can see them since I now know where they are. Sometimes just a little bit distracting.

For what it's worth, I wish I'd just left it alone. Sometimes it seems the quest to have the "perfect" plasma is a little masochistic.

mas·och·ism - A willingness or tendency to subject oneself to unpleasant or trying experiences.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would not have known how to check for pixel problems without the information on this forum. I'm not unhappy that I checked because if my 433 would have had many (not defined) pixels that had problems, I would have wanted to know so I would have been able to have it replaced.

Like you, sometimes I look to see if I can find it when I watching HDTV or a DVD, but I never can so it just doesn't bother me. It's not a problem that I can discern, therefore, it's not a problem. When I compare the PQ of my 433CMX to any other HiDef TV or projector I have, it is simply light years better. Maybe that's why the one pixel out of 786,432 doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Due to this forum, I learned how to check for dead/stuck pixels. I probably would have seen them sooner or later even if I didnt check for them. The old saying, "ignorance is bliss" would definitely be applicable in this situation:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wouldn't have know either how to check for those dead/stuck pixels and might have thought the buzzing was normal but for Mark's (rogo) problems. Why is it so hard to get a perfect plasma, or am I asking for too much.

Dell just called to let me know their shipping the third one. I asked them if they could get Electrograph to test it before they ship but the answer was no. I guess it's ok as I can return it again. They must have gone through the profit margin on my plasma by now shipping several sets back and forth. I am glad they accept returns without much hassle.

Takeshi

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Stuck pixels can be maddening. Dead pixels are rarely even noticeable. Fortunately, the former is rarer than the latter.

When you do a white mask, if you see non-white pixels, they are partially dead. They are not stuck.

Stuck pixels are the ones you see when you show all black.

As for buzzing, while I will insist to my grave that every plasma buzzes, it's hard to know when yours is too loud/out of spec. A clue is that when you are 10 feet away, you shouldn't hear it.

Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
Takeshi,

I really hope the third one's a charm. I have become spoiled and do not want to go without my plasma. The wife & I went away for a nice romantic weekend (the weekend of the Masters in HD) and I was accused of mentally drifting wondering how the Tournament was looking in HD on our Plasma!

If I look up the word Patience in the Dictionary, will I see your picture?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Me patient??? Not really. But, I guess I have been patient with this matter.

My first plasma was so quiet, it was unbelievable. If it not were for the stuck/dead pixels I would have kept it.

I am still amazed by the overall PQ though. DVDs, PS2 and OTAHD are fantastic.

Takeshi

·
Registered
891 Posts
Wow 3 units? You and the shipping people must be old friends by now!:D

I said I wasn't going to look for pixel problems on my unit and I did. I didn't find any, but to tell you the truth I probably wouldn't know it if they bit me.

What do they look like anyhow?

Sodo Mojo
Quote:
I was accused of mentally drifting wondering how the Tournament was looking in HD on our Plasma!
Why do I believe this? lisa:::smacks::::: Sodo Mojo:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I guess I am one of the lucky one (and I don't think I am in the minority since the rest of us are busy enjoying it ;) *knock on wood*), I got my prefect 433cmx back in late Feb, in mid march I finally got ahold of Avia, in the white screen, no stuck/dead pixel.

As far as the masters goes, it wasn't as pretty as the NCAA since not all the cameras are HD. However I will be looking forward to Stanley cup final.

If I have to choose all over again, I will stick with my 433.

Good luck,

Alan

(enjoying his 433 about 5ft away):D

·
Registered
369 Posts
It seems like the 433cmx has less stuck/dead pixel problems than the 503cmx. Is that just because there are more 503's than 433's out there? Or is it because it's harder to get a good yield when manufacturing the bigger PDP's?

Nick

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.