AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was listening today to the S3-EX the little brother of the S1-EX. So far all I can say is these speakers are quite transparent and very dynamic (providing you have the solid state muscle).

The built quality of the cabinet is first rate.

I am going to pull the trigger on the S1-EX,as I want speakers to improve upon my Dynaudio Contour S5.4 and S3.4 . The new Pioneer lineup looks and above all sounds like a winning combination. I will have to A/B them.

Anyobody with any comments ,who has at least auditioned them is welcome to comment.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR /forum/post/12868608

Thanks for the info. Looks like few know these. Hmmm

I think part of this reason is that it says pioneer on the front of the speaker. The professional reviews on these are terrific but at least in the US, pioneer is not known for making great speakers, especially amongst the typical small b&m's that would sell speakers in their price ranges. I would imagine that dealer penetration is not nearly as large as something like b&w, monitor audio, paradigm etc etc (way to many to list!)

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Andrew Jones, the lead engineer/designer of the speaker said that he tried to have the speaker sold under the TAD brand, but lost out.

Marketing them as Pioneer is an uphill battle against the class of competition where these speakers truly belong.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's a shame that more people will not give them a serious look. I was so impressed I had to get a pair. The sound is great with my old Acurus amp, but I know when I mate them with an Icepower amp they will be out of this world.

As far as I know I'm the only owner here. I really recommend that anyone looking for a speaker in the Focal 1037Be or B&W 802d class give the Pioneer a listen. It really is a Lexus with a Toyota label.

ED

·
Registered
19 Posts
the s1-ex are an incredible set of speakers provided you have the power to drive them. The TAD tweeters are so precise they are from another world. pioneer themselves use Bel Canto amps at their shows.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR /forum/post/12864080

I was listening today to the S3-EX the little brother of the S1-EX. So far all I can say is these speakers are quite transparent and very dynamic (providing you have the solid state muscle).

The built quality of the cabinet is first rate.

I am going to pull the trigger on the S1-EX,as I want speakers to improve upon my Dynaudio Contour S5.4 and S3.4 . The new Pioneer lineup looks and above all sounds like a winning combination. I will have to A/B them.

Anyobody with any comments ,who has at least auditioned them is welcome to comment.

Did you get a pair?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just picked up a used pair of the pioneer 1 S-EX and couldn't be happier.

I have been watching this thread for a long time and I have been searching for a dealer but there are none in my area. I found a pair about a 3 hour drive from me and went to listen then packed them up. I have them connected to the Bel Canto 1000's and they sound awesome. Now I need to find a S 7-EX for a good price. Any thoughts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Pioneer is exiting the television business...thats right no more Kuro, so IMO Pioneer high-end audio is probably as good as dead or at least in the near future. If you are intrigued with the coaxial design I would consider the Kef Reference line or the Thiel stuff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
thought I read where the Kuro will have panasonic glass but still continue with the Kuro technology. And why would that have anything to do with the speaker line. I hardly see them quitting the high end "receivers", bluray etc.

I do like the KEF and Thiel lineup. The new KEF's remind me of the classic KEF's from the 70's.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc61 /forum/post/15759647

thought I read where the Kuro will have panasonic glass but still continue with the Kuro technology. And why would that have anything to do with the speaker line. I hardly see them quitting the high end "receivers", bluray etc.

I do like the KEF and Thiel lineup. The new KEF's remind me of the classic KEF's from the 70's.

The original plan announced early last year (Jan-ish 2008) was to use Panasonic panels and still produce a Pioneer Kuro branded product. However, today it was printed in the Nikkei business journal that Pioneer will be ceasing its television business altogether and creating a joint venture with Sharp for their DVD business (whatever that means). Maybe an official announcement by next week?

If they can't sell their bread and butter, then I wouldn't bet my money that their high-end speakers will be around in a year or 2.

Andrew Jones, the designer for the new TAD stuff used to design for Kef. However, the new Reference 2 series is designed by a Dr. Watson and is better in all regards than the original.

People can buy what they feel is right for them, but just some friendly advice when weighing your options.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect /forum/post/15759782

Andrew Jones, the designer for the new TAD stuff used to design for Kef. However, the new Reference 2 series is designed by a Dr. Watson and is better in all regards than the original.

? Is that because Sherlock has moved on?

·
Registered
31 Posts
just picked up the matching center S7-EX for my S1-EX Pioneers.

I am in nirvana now. Didn't realize how big the center was until the UPS guy needed me to help carry it in.

Pioneers and Bel Cantos are definitely hard to beat.

It's too bad that more people can't hear these. I have owned many high end

speakers and these are easily as good and probably better in many ways(B&W,Sonus Faber,Usher Dancer series,Maggies,Revel)

I might stop looking to upgrade now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts