AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help from you Home Theater experts:

I currently have an old Denon AVR 3300 receiver. It was made before HD and HDMI was around.

I am going to upgrade my whole system to HD/Blu-ray and I am trying to decide between the Denon 4310CI or the Pioneer SC-07 receivers. Both, I believe have 4 HDMI ins and 2 simultaneous HDMI out, so my main theater should be good with either.

But, I want to take take the older Denon and use it to drive the 5.1 system in my bedroom... My question is: will either of the receivers pass a simultaneous signal that comes in on the HDMI port to a component out? I have heard that to prevent copying and piracy, HDMI signals can't be sent out on other ports? ... Is that true?

(and between the two receivers, does anyone have any preferences as to which is better?)

Thanks much,

David

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
The hdmi signals cannot be sent out over component. My experience with both of these is this.

Pioneer- 4 hdmi in 2 out, no dynamic volume control other than DRC ( I dont like), it actually does work really well for satellite commercials on the 4310. Amp section is better than the 4310. I have always liked the sound of pioneer.

Denon- 6 hdmi in 1 in front. 2 out. I just received my 4310 and from what I can see I like it alot better than the pioneers that I have had. It has the new pro logic 11z, if you are into that. The networking features are much nicer, online firmware updates, the huge thing I like about the 4310 is you can have different speaker settings for the 2 channel stuff versus surround. All small for movies and large for 2 channel. Super nice gui, no handshaking lag vs the pioneer. Overlay the entire gui menu and make changes on the fly over top of audio and video. Able to turn video conversion and scaling on and off per each input. In my opinion the Audessy (spelling) is much nicer than the mcacc on the pioneer too. Also you can change crossover for each speaker.

The bottom line is the denon is new and has all the latest features. The Pioneer was awesome last year but it is now lacking some very nice features. I think the sc-07 has a amp like the the 4308 but the features of the 4310 are hard to beat. I use a emotiva xpa-5 for amp so that part of the receiver is of no concern anyway. I use the surround back for my front height speakers.

I have only touched on a few things but they are what I think are the important ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks madkaw-

That's very helpful... So, if HDMI signals can't be sent our over component, is there way to take one of the HDMI outs from the new receiver to somehow "pipe" it into the older receiver that doesn't have HDMI in? (like some sort of conversion cable or something?)...

I'm not too worried about the audio (I can use the pre-outs), its the video I am concerned about.

Thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just Add Power has some really cool HDMI over IP that will send an HDMI signal and return a control signal. Pretty cool stuff. You would have to run a separate cable for second zone audio.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Daber, check out the HDFury. It is a component-HDMI converter. Most AVRs don't have this feature as it is technically gray-market (as you can strip the copyrighting that way).

Btw, I have an SC-05 and love it, so would pitch the SC-07. However, I didn't even consider the Denons as they were far above my price point (I got my SC-05 for $700), so I can't really give a good comparison.

What networking features do the Denon have that are better? The SC-05/07 have free internet radio with hundreds of stations and the ability to play any of your shared media (mp3/etc, no video) through Windows Media Gallery.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKat /forum/post/16982149

Daber, check out the HDFury. It is a component-HDMI converter. Most AVRs don't have this feature as it is technically gray-market (as you can strip the copyrighting that way).

Btw, I have an SC-05 and love it, so would pitch the SC-07. However, I didn't even consider the Denons as they were far above my price point (I got my SC-05 for $700), so I can't really give a good comparison.

What networking features do the Denon have that are better? The SC-05/07 have free internet radio with hundreds of stations and the ability to play any of your shared media (mp3/etc, no video) through Windows Media Gallery.

I would say the only network advantage is the firmware updates. Other than that they are pretty much the same.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm very happy with my 4310.

Two points swayed me to it instead of the SC-07. First, the 4310 has some of the best video processing available with the ABT 2010. It works on all signals, analog and digital. The SC-07 has no video processing for digital signals (AFIK).

Second, at least one review of the SC-07 found it had problems with 4 ohm speaker loads. Meanwhile, every review I have ever seen of a Denon receiver at or above the 2809 level found the amps quite powerful and capable of delivering full or near full rated power to all 7 channels.

Ira

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.