AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my old Denon 1909 meet with a terrible fate and passed on. As luck would have it, I was able to pick up the pioneer 1522 at Costco for a unbelieveable $600 and while I should be jumping for joy, I found instead that I had some doubts and needed to put them to rest.

See the reason I upgraded to my old 1909 around five years back was for the audyssey dynamic eq and volume feature. As I work in a loud environment and have no desire to listen anywhere near reference volume, but I do love the bass to sound full and appreciate being able to hear details in the surrounds at lower volumes.

After two weeks with the 1522 I ended up in a magnolia at BB paying the same price for a denon 2113 that member Batpig had favorably reviewed in search of some answers.

I ended up setting them both up with the DT speakers and quad energy subs I have on hand into two 4.2 surround setups and ran the macacc and single position audyssey calibrations back to back without moving the tripod holding the mics at all. All speakers were set to small on both AVR's.

When it comes to my ears, there's no competition if you don't want to tweak. Audyssey xt calibration sounds just right and advanced mcacc sounds bass shy for certain. Fortunately, the mcacc is very tweakable and one can tweak to taste quickly.

While one would think the D3 amps in the 1522 would certainly prove superior driving multiple full range speakers at high volume. I did some bass tweaking to mcacc and listened to a clip from The Hobbit (60 minutes into the movie with the forest wizard and friends). I set the volumes on the two AVRs to match up to below 70dB spl on my radioshack meter. And without the AVR's having to power full range or LFE bass I really would have a hard time guessing which AVR was running. I was mainly listening for the ambient forest sounds and the panning of the birds flying and tweeting across the room.

Also in my case sub eq isn't a issue as I'm running a antimode for the subs. I do though plan on doing some more listening with ROTK, Transformers 3 and Expendables 2 soon.

Right now the biggest difference for me between the two AVRs is that Dynamic EQ and volume are able to be applied to any surround mode. While the ALC in the pioneer will only work with the signal comming in. This is an issue for me when I watch movies from Netflix or shows from Hulu Plus that are in stereo if I want the ALC on the Pioneer will only play stereo and not another surround mode.

Any opinions tips or tricks are appreciated. I want to give this pioneer a fair shot as it was such a bargain.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I'm still experimenting. I added center channels to the mix, that way I'm comparing a 5.2 systems.

I cant say that Dolby PLIIz on the denon or the Neo x height + PLIIz on the pioneer are anything to get real excited about. Without adjusting the height channel levels, I find the affect to be quite subtle.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Go with your gut and it sounds like the Denon may be a better choice for you given how ALC works on the Pioneer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are two things that you can try on the Pioneer:

1) Turn on dynamic range compression in the audio options. This probably just normalizes the volume with applying any volume-specific EQ though.

2) Use THX + Prologic mode. THX does do volume specific EQ and will enhance the surround effect at low volumes. However, it does roll off the treble considerably.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic  /t/1471871/pioneer-sc-1522-vs-denon-avr-2113-am-i-crazy#post_23319877

I cant say that Dolby PLIIz on the denon or the Neo x height + PLIIz on the pioneer are anything to get real excited about. Without adjusting the height channel levels, I find the affect to be quite subtle.

On the Pioneer, if you connect the main surround channels, you can enable virtual width, height, and depth on multi-channel sources or modes. I would say that the virtual height effect is not huge, but definitely more than subtle. However, I don't know how it compares to real height channels.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'm trying to give the pioneer a fair chance to win my ears over. I'd been using dynamic volume and eq for 5 years, so I know that it can take a while to adjust to something different. I tried the THX mode and found the effect very subtle compared to dynamic eq.

I took some REW measurements last night and a simple interpretation of the graphs, shows a lot of sub boost with dynamic eq. I was able to pretty much mimic the graph using the finger eq on the pioneer smartphone app.

I havent tried the virtual height or width channels, but I suspect if I wasn't blown away by physical heights with wall-e, master and commander and the expendables 2, that virtuals wouldn't stand much chance.

I'm about ready to flip a coin to end my paralysis by analysis.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To put a bow on this thread. I'm going with the Denon 2113. The pioneer for all of it's many features just has nothing close to the audyssey dynamic eq/vol that makes everything sound great at the low to moderate volumes I listen at. Had pioneer added Dolby volume to the 1522, I may very well stuck with it.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Interesting. I am finding the Pioneer to lack surround and bass at low volume leveles even in ALC. I was hoping it was because I hadn't dialed it all in yet.

So, did you find anything better than finger eq? Or was even finger eq unacceptable to you? I wouldnt mind having to switch between two modes depedning on what im watching, but having to set the finger eq each time would be kind of a pain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts