AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have been going back and forth between these two systems for a while now.

I have tried to compare both as best I could and I still am having a hard time. It seems that I can purchase both for around the same price (within 50 or 75) so the price is not really an issue with the comparison.

Does anyone know if one is hands down better for X or Y reason? Is one clearer once properly configured at home?

Also does the zone two output function the same on both receivers in terms of both video and audio capabilities?

Thank you very much for looking and even more if you can chime in!

Have agreat day everyone.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I haven't looked at the A1000 features and functions versus the SC-35. But, I'd be willing to bet, the amps in the SC-35 are quite a bit beefier than the A1000.

After that difference, you'd just have to compare features back and forth to make your decision.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide /forum/post/20850029

I haven't looked at the A1000 features and functions versus the SC-35. But, I'd be willing to bet, the amps in the SC-35 are quite a bit beefier than the A1000.

After that difference, you'd just have to compare features back and forth to make your decision.

Thanks Mr. East side,

Does that mean that the Pioneer will be able to play louder and/or that it will be clearer than the Yamaha at the same volume and/or louder volumes?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Theoretically speaking, the receiver would/should have an easier time pushing the speakers at all different volume levels VS the A1000. That's not to say that A1000 is a bad receiver, it's a nice receiver. But, for the same price, I would personally take the Pioneer. It would all depend on if one or the other has a certain feature/features you really want.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide /forum/post/20850065

Theoretically speaking, the receiver would/should have an easier time pushing the speakers at all different volume levels VS the A1000. That's not to say that A1000 is a bad receiver, it's a nice receiver. But, for the same price, I would personally take the Pioneer. It would all depend on if one or the other has a certain feature/features you really want.

Wow. Thank you for the quick reply.

One other Q.

Do you know of any major differences between the two as far as features are concerned? I have not seen any to the best of my knowledge the only major difference I can find would be the dual sub woofer output on the Yamaha versus 1 on the pioneer. Given that you should not be able to hear where the bass is coming from I am not sure how important this is.

I am just wondering if I am missing something major between the two?

I am also not sure if the Zone 2 functions the same on both as far as audio/video from the same or different sources.

Thank you again

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
To most people, the dual sub-woofer out should be a non-issue. I don't use Zone 2 or 3, so I cannot personally comment on that aspect. The major difference, in my opinion, is going to be the power. Pioneer's ICE amps are considered some of the better amps when it comes to receivers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide /forum/post/20850125

To most people, the dual sub-woofer out should be a non-issue. I don't use Zone 2 or 3, so I cannot personally comment on that aspect. The major difference, in my opinion, is going to be the power. Pioneer's ICE amps are considered some of the better amps when it comes to receivers.

Thank you again Mr. East Side

·
Registered
169 Posts
These two amps interest me also, along with HK and Marantz.

I assume the OSD / GUI is a lot better for the Yamaha? Does the Pioneer do video overlay for the OSD?

I use a Harmony remote, so the ability to set input changes discreetly vs toggling is important to me. I had heard the Pioneer didn't allow that. Is that true? Does the Yamaha allow you to do that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaikon /forum/post/20850104

Wow. Thank you for the quick reply.

One other Q.

Do you know of any major differences between the two as far as features are concerned? I have not seen any to the best of my knowledge the only major difference I can find would be the dual sub woofer output on the Yamaha versus 1 on the pioneer. Given that you should not be able to hear where the bass is coming from I am not sure how important this is.

I am just wondering if I am missing something major between the two?

I am also not sure if the Zone 2 functions the same on both as far as audio/video from the same or different sources.

Thank you again

All things being equal, if you plan on running two subs, you're better off with a .2 system. You can use a Y splitter on a .1 system and get the same signal on both subs, but if you plan on adjusting the output to the subs so they aren't identical (Something you may do manually or an auto calibration system may set), you really should have a .2 receiver. I'm surprised the SC35 isn't a .2 system.

Even if I was planning on using 2 subs, I would probably get the SC35 anyway.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't know for sure, but considering I've been a "Yamaha guy" for a decade or more and was really considering anything from the v867/a800 to the a1000, but ended up buying an sc-35, I guess that'd be my recommendation.

Now, with that said, everybody's individual opinion will differ, and I'm quite sure that I would have chosen the v871 or a810 (or maybe the v671) had we been talking about MSRP across the board. So, certainly the drastic price cuts on the sc-35 had a HUGE role in what I chose.

The sad thing is that I won't know for a few weeks how it sounds in my current setup because this is part of a "remodel" that involves routing speaker/HDMI cables (and A/C) behind drywall and a monoprice mount that is yet to arrive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/20850496

All things being equal, if you plan on running two subs, you're better off with a .2 system. You can use a Y splitter on a .1 system and get the same signal on both subs, but if you plan on adjusting the output to the subs so they aren't identical (Something you may do manually or an auto calibration system may set), you really should have a .2 receiver. I'm surprised the SC35 isn't a .2 system.

Even if I was planning on using 2 subs, I would probably get the SC35 anyway.

Good to know... thank you

After saying all that, to state that you would still prefer the 35 says a lot. Any specific reasons why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerzdosen /forum/post/20850524

I don't know for sure, but considering I've been a "Yamaha guy" for a decade or more and was really considering anything from the v867/a800 to the a1000, but ended up buying an sc-35, I guess that'd be my recommendation.

Now, with that said, everybody's individual opinion will differ, and I'm quite sure that I would have chosen the v871 or a810 (or maybe the v671) had we been talking about MSRP across the board. So, certainly the drastic price cuts on the sc-35 had a HUGE role in what I chose.

The sad thing is that I won't know for a few weeks how it sounds in my current setup because this is part of a "remodel" that involves routing speaker/HDMI cables (and A/C) behind drywall and a monoprice mount that is yet to arrive.

...awww man...that's horrible!

I agree the price cuts are making a huge difference for me. At first I was looking at the a800 but now that the sc-35 can be had at costco for only a few hundred more (and a1000 for about the same as the 35 on clearance at my local BB) I have had a tough decision to make.

The one thing that scares me is lack of manufacturer support but...its costco...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Well, I actually ended up with a seemingly pristine open box sc-35 from BB on clearance with a 4 year extended warranty (2 year additional) for the same price (within a few dollars) as Costco is charging for the sc-35... So luckily the manufacturer's support isn't an issue for me.

But I hear you. But, the fact is though that most sc-35's will never see the inside of a repair shop (or be returned to Costco.) They will just work as they're supposed to for their useful life. The fact that they haven't released a firmware update for the sc-35 is rather comforting to me - even with the manufacturer's support lined up.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts

Quote:
After saying all that, to state that you would still prefer the 35 says a lot. Any specific reasons why?

The other advantages the SC35 has outweighs the not being a .2 system.

The price offered by Costco is good, but it's not amazing when you take sales tax into account. In Maryland we pay 6% sales tax so that would add $45 to the cost. Making it $795. Over the weekend I saw the same unit on amazon for a little over $830 with free shipping.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Most .2 receivers still send the same signal to both subwoofers. There are a few that actually EQ the subs separately and let you adjust the volume separately like the Denon 4311 and Onkyo 3008/5008. I have a Denon 3311 that is a 7.2 receiver but it doesn't eq the subs separately or let you set different volumes. I am not sure about the A1000 so I can't say how it handles the dual subs but I would be surprised if it was any different than using a y splitter.

My pick would be the Pioneer just because it's such a good deal. The A2000 or A3000 would be a more difficult decision.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerzdosen
Well, I actually ended up with a seemingly pristine open box sc-35 from BB on clearance with a 4 year extended warranty (2 year additional) for the same price (within a few dollars) as Costco is charging for the sc-35... So luckily the manufacturer's support isn't an issue for me.

But I hear you. But, the fact is though that most sc-35's will never see the inside of a repair shop (or be returned to Costco.) They will just work as they're supposed to for their useful life. The fact that they haven't released a firmware update for the sc-35 is rather comforting to me - even with the manufacturer's support lined up.
Congrats! That is really great! My local BB have been stuck at about 200 more ...and 150 or so more for an open box that I know had a major power surge hit it while on display....

The firmware point is a good one for sure, although, it would be nice if they actually used upgrade ability to "upgrade" our systems ( add more codec support from USB, etc) versus only as a safety net in case they sent out a faulty firmware.

You bring up their "useful life." I wonder what that is now a days. I know that my father has had some receivers since my childhood- still going strong. I hope that this one lasts several years and is not obsolete within a couple. Now that 3D has been out for a bit I can not imagine a new HDMI format (besides the MLH or MHL that I feel will not change anything) that will retire this anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn
The other advantages the SC35 has outweighs the not being a .2 system.

The price offered by Costco is good, but it's not amazing when you take sales tax into account. In Maryland we pay 6% sales tax so that would add $45 to the cost. Making it $795. Over the weekend I saw the same unit on amazon for a little over $830 with free shipping.
Tax is an excellent point, although with the costco AMEX/ Executive membership I think I get 3% which would bring my tax from 6% to 3% meaning I would be hit for 22.00 more when all things are said and done. Amazon would be $80 more and either way I would have no warranty through Pioneer. I like that I can return it at Costco if I have an issue. I do hear you and think you have a great point. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023
Most .2 receivers still send the same signal to both subwoofers. There are a few that actually EQ the subs separately and let you adjust the volume separately like the Denon 4311 and Onkyo 3008/5008. I have a Denon 3311 that is a 7.2 receiver but it doesn't eq the subs separately or let you set different volumes. I am not sure about the A1000 so I can't say how it handles the dual subs but I would be surprised if it was any different than using a y splitter.

My pick would be the Pioneer just because it's such a good deal. The A2000 or A3000 would be a more difficult decision.

Very interesting. I think I may have read something to that effect before on AVS. The A2000/ 3000 looked great on paper but 1) I do not have a place to compare them here and 2) The cost difference seems tremendous due to the severe price cut on the SC-35.

I did get a chance to listen to the A1000 versus the SC-55 ( I know its not the 35 - best buy disconnected the 35 for clearance before I could here it side by side with the A1000). Only marginally, the SC-35 seemed better...only marginally... hence this thread.

The 35 seemed to have more clarity, especially in the higher pitches. The Yamaha did seem to have a bit more bass giving it a slightly fuller sound, though a tad less clear.

I hope that with calibration at home the 35 would have that extension in the bottom end as well while retaining the clarity in the highs.... although I am sure the Yamaha would improve with calibration as well...

Decisions, decisions.

Thank you for chiming in! Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks

BD

·
Registered
511 Posts
Amp section of the SC-35 is lot more beefer than the A1000. However, the yamaha A1000 has a lot more features: overlay OSD, HD radio, networked, DLNA, HDMI stand-by pass through, HDMI stand-by switching ...

Price wise, you should be able to get the A1000 with at least $100 less than the SC-35 costco deal.

So it's your decision to make based on your applications :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT /forum/post/20859443

Amp section of the SC-35 is lot more beefer than the A1000. However, the yamaha A1000 has a lot more features: overlay OSD, HD radio, networked, DLNA, HDMI stand-by pass through, HDMI stand-by switching ...

Price wise, you should be able to get the A1000 with at least $100 less than the SC-35 costco deal.

So it's your decision to make based on your applications :)

I see what you mean about the price...

I also see that the yammy has HD Radio and the pioneer does not although I wonder how the radio is on the a1000. I have read numerous complaints about the a800 radio having very bad reception. Any experience with the a1000?

It looks like the SC-35 will do hdmi pass through and support audio return channel. Not sure on stand by switching.

They both look like they have networking. Am I missing something?

So onscreen OSD, DLNA, and HD radio are the missing features on the 35.

As for the "beefy" part- does this mean that at a good volume the 35 will have less distortion than the a1000? That is a major concern of mine. I have a Onkyo ht 160 right now and at the level I need to watch a blu ray (about 48 to 53 on the onkyo) it seems like I hear some distortion every now and then in dialogue. I really do not want that at all.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
511 Posts
^^ Radio on the A1000 works great (FM). It also has RDS (Radio Data System) to tell you who the signer and the song name.

I think the SC-35 does not have hdmi standby pass through. Somebody can confirm, as I do not own one. Amp section of the SC-35 probably gives you more smoothness on music and more punch on HT. Just guestimate.

Technically, SC-35 is one level above the A1000, but it's features are about two generations behind the A1000.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.