AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Pioneer SD-533HD5 from best buy, and got an unbelievable price. And I'm wondering if the problems I'm experiencing are why.

First of all this was a floor model, and there was damage to the front of the television. (small burn hole see link below) One of my questions would be is there any way to repair this?

Pioneer Damage

Secondly, when I try to view dvd's the screen jumps. It continues to jump until I place the view into full mode. Which in some cases leaves the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Correct me if I wrong, but dvd's that are anamorphic 1:85 or 2:35 should be able to be viewed in Cinema mode and cover the entire screen correct? The screen jumping also occurs when my XBOX is turned on. Is this normal or do I need to have the TV serviced?

I know I should not have purchased a floor model, but the picture looked really good, and the price was definetly right. I still have about 20 days to return the TV so any replies would be greatly appreciated. P.S. I contacted Pioneer and they told me that the piece that is damaged is called the "blind plate" and they do not have replacement part. Please help!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
JU:

I also recently purchased the Pioneer 533HD5. The jumping problem is definetely not normal. Have you exhausted all other causes, ie source, cable etc.?

What inputs are you using for DVD and Xbox. Is it component. Are you sharing these inputs with other sources. Component inputs are inputs 1 and 3 and share inputs with composite and SVideo. Try connecting these sources to other inputs not shared.

To watch widescreen DVDs you should set your DVD player to 16:9 and play in full mode not cinema mode. If the DVD is anamorphic it will fill the screen. If the DVD is 2.35:1 for example then you will have black bars above and below the picture in full mode. Be careful not to display black bars for any extended time as burn in may result.

I agree, the picture is awesome.

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response Knuck. I haven't had the opportunity to purchase the component cables yet. Will try and purchase tomorrow. I have the DVD player connected using the s-Video and I am using the front RCA jacks (for the time being) to connect my XBOX.

I didn't think that the jumping was normal, and will check all possible sources etc. before contacting Best Buy.

Also thanks for the info regarding Full mode and seting up the DVD player, never new that was necessary.

Thanks again, and I'll be sure to update you when the problem has been resolved.

J.U.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
How long was this unit on display? You need to consider the tube life of the unit also. If the CRTs were on 12 hours a day for a year, 1/5 of the tube life is already gone (Figure 10000 hours for a set of tubes). You need to factor this in along with the warranty issues and damage to the set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.