AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several months of researching RPTV's and settling on Mits WS55907, I changed my mind today and bought the Pioneer SD 533HD5. When I went to Best Buy, I was too enamored by the picture quality and resolution. I had actually gone to BB to check out the Toshiba 57 H81. BB has a $500 off on these Pioneers till 10/27. This is the first component for my HT system. The others planned are HTPC in lieu of the Prog.Scan DVD, Onkyo DS797, Polk Audio RT Series 1000i for the front, PA CS 400i for the center and the Polk RT 600's for the surround. Any feedback, comments, advice are welcome.

Thanks,

Suresh

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
That is a nice HDTV you got there and you are starting in the right place.

I am looking at the same speakers you are I want the same one for the center and for the surrounds. I will be going with the RT800's for the fronts tho. I will be going with an SVS sub as soon as I make up my mind on which one would be best for me. Good luck.

------------------

Juan

·
Banned
410 Posts
I currently own the Pioneer SD532HD5, the previous generation of this model, and I am extremely happy with it.

I am jealous of the new model because I understand it has added 3:2 pull down to the already decent line doubler. I also understand that Pioneer added a feature to allow aspect ratio control for 480p inputs. My set will lock into "FULL" mode with no control to change it.

So I believe you have the best Pioneer has to offer for the class of TV this model is (The Elites have top notch Line Doublers not found in your model).

Regardless I have owned the TV for almost 2 years now and outside of the problem I had with the pincushion defect (You can search on this but only applies to Pioneers made before Nov. 99) it is working excellently.

I strongly urge you to get an IFS job on it after you have owned the set for about 6 months (for burn in) to max out the picture capability.

As far as I am concerned this set is one of the best values for the money. I use mine for HDTV, DVD's, normal TV, and for HTPC use (I use 540p mode with a pixel space of 853x480). In all modes I believe the picture is superior!

Enjoy your set. I think it is a great value.

Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both Juan and Rick.

Rick, your post caught my interest and follow-up questions. I recently decided to go with the HTPC route instead of researching a moderately high end Prog.Scan DVD. However, I need to study quiet a bit on how I connect my HTPC to the Pioneer HDTV and to my Onkyo DS 797 Receiver. Any education, advice, reference to other FAQ's/ URL's will be greatly useful. I am all for ordering a pre-assembled system from Digital Connection for the HTPC. Will eagerly await your feedback/ comments/ advice.

Thanks,

Suresh

·
Banned
410 Posts
Wow, This is wierd with the new forum. I almost thought I pressed the wrong button (new message vs. reply).

Anyway, about my HTPC. I am only using it for web surfing, mp3 juke box, and experimentation under Linux. I am not trying to tweak DVD playback because it is my humble opinion that the delta in picture quality for DVD playback between progressive scan players and an HTPC does not justify the effort. If I had a high resolution FP system maybe I'd feel different but an with RPTV that is my opinion.

Now the details: I have an old (3 year) P-II 333Mhz system running dual boot Linux 6.2/Win98SE. My graphics card is an "old" Matrox G400 Millenium with 32M Ram. I determined timings with help from the HTPC forum. As well the Matrox Powerdesk utility allows one to manually enter custom resolutions. Once I determined my resolutions (960x1712i & 480x856p. both are 33Khz timing) setting up an XF86Config was realtively easy. BTW the reason for the wierd timings is because of overscan on my TV. It is the only way to be able to see the entire desktop.

I have an SBLive with COAX SPDIF output running into my Pioneer Reciever. I use Linux/XMMS for playing my entire MP3 collection (about 25Gig of mp3's).

I use Windows for all the stuff that isn't available on Linux and some games. But mostly I use my system for surfing the Internet from my couch!

That's about it. Hope this helps.

Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.