AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an old CRT RPTV Pioneer 64" SD-643HD5, It's still running fine but i just have an issue.

Is there a way with this set to adjust Scaling, Vertical and horizontal position of the screen ?

The 1080i image look overscaled.

Thanks and sorry for my poor english.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I own the 52" version of this set. It still produces an amazing picture, especially from my PS3. The one problem with these sets is that they exhibit quite a bit of overscan when displaying HD sources. I fixed mine earlier this year, but it is not an easy task. The best way would be to head over to www.***************.com and become a paid member. This will grant you acsess to the Pioneer Tips and Tweaks section. Within are detailed step-by-step instructions to reducing the overscan to your set.

The reason why it's so difficult is

1: the Pioneer SM for these sets are notoriously hard to navigate. If you do not know EXACTLY what you're doing, you could seriously screw up your set.

2: Reducing overscan is not simply "shrinking" the picture globally. You have to reduce the picture VERTICALLY and HORIZONTALLY one colour at a time. Doing this also results in some "pincushioning" of the image which requires you to mess around with the green convergence grid until the picture is uniform in size, then aligning the red and blue colours. Most of the time you're doing this blind with no reference of how the picture should look.

It takes some skill and a whole boatload of patience. I did mine over four sessions. I found that after 20 minutes of tinkering with the convergence grid, I could not see straight or objectively judge the picture.

I will say that after I finally finished this, the picture never looked better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.