Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John, thank you for replying!

Do you have any problem with your set, or you know of any problem with the Philip 64 inches rptv?

Is Philip service department responsive?(easy to get warrenty service)

Thank - Cheung

·
Registered
56 Posts
CFL,

I recently purchased the 64PP9751 and can give you some of my opinions after a few weeks of use.

The focus at the outer edges of the screen leaves something to be desired. It is not horrible but it is noticeable enough to me that I am bothered by it. I believe this is correctable and will be placing a call to Philips Service soon to 'request' that they send someone out to remedy this.

Way to much overscan on the AUX 4 (HD Y Pb Pr input). I'm losing far to much picture information than is necessary. I see much moe picture via the AUX 5 SVGA input.

The horizontal position on the AUX 2 input (using the Y Pb Pr input for DVD) is shifted to far left. To much overscan as well. It is interesting that there is no adjustment for horizontal position on any of the 480i inputs in the user menu but it is adjustable on the 2 HD inputs.

The internal line doubler does a pretty good job with my Toshiba interlaced DVD. I haven't yet seen a progressive DVD through the HD input to compare but I am pleased with the picture I get.

My biggest gripe with this machine is that the color temperature is not consistent across the screen. It scews towards blue on the left side and to red on the right. It's not as objectionable to me now as when I first got the set (I may just be getting used to it) but it is quite noticeable if you are looking for it. I don't know if this is something that can be fixed or not. Anyone else have this issue withtheir RPTV?

That all having been said, I must tell you that the HD performance of this set is terrific. When I sit back and watch a movie on HBO HD or a something on HDNet it is truely a joy to watch. All my nit pics fade away and I just enjoy the hell out of the picture. I'm really looking forward to what it's gonna look like when I finally do get it properly calibrated.

I'll find out soon enough about how responsive Philips is to some of my issues. Nothing on my set is actually 'broken' but I believe I have legitimate gripes as to the out of the box performance and I am hopefull that the folks at Philips will agree.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
CFL,

Because of my NYC location I had great difficulty getting good warranty service. Had to have two modules replaced, which fixed a sync loss with 480p inputs to the HD component-in section. Still not sure if I've got 'red push', but tint control seems to correct images okay. Overall, both 480p and HDTV images are superb. Can't say what Philips did to modify other models beyond eliminating the HDTV-tuner and Dolby-decoder sections. -- John

·
Registered
441 Posts
CFL:

I can't comment on the philips but I recently purchased the Pioneer 533 HD5, which I assume is similar to the 643. For the money I am blown away. Nothing in the price range compared. The three closest were the Toshiba 57hx81, Sony 57HU40 and the 48" JVC I'Art.

None of these sets came close.

The only set that I saw that was equal or slightly better was the Pioneer Elite.

The line doubler on this set is excellent. On all of the others satellite was barely watchable. Satellite on the Pioneer is very good. Progressive DVD is outstanding. It is truly three dimensional.

The only drawback is the number of inputs.

Hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
gotapex,

I read that thread over at The Spot a while back but I guess I didn't read it very closely. I think the point made in this quote illustrates one of the issues I have with my set.

Quote:
Another compromise with high-gain, fresnel-lenticular screens is color shift and hot-spotting.
He also mentions replacing the lenticular screen with a diffusion type. I may look into that sometime down the road. I'm curious what that would cost

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Haven't really had any serious problems with the fresnel/lenticular combination on my Philips 64PH9905, a more feature-packed 9-in.-CRT model that preceded others mentioned these days. Bought mine 2 years ago this summer.

While researching sets I often downgraded RPTV models because you're putting translucent plastic sheets between your eyes and CRT images. (Used a 7-ft. FP set, the Advent 1000, for ~25 years, although it wasn't progressive.) But discovered a good RPTV screen isn't that bad, especially if it has a narrow pitch such as the 9905's 0.5-mm lenticular. That pitch, if you crank the numbers, is theoretically adequate for displaying 1920 horizontal pixels, although I'd be convinced the 9-in. CRTs could provide that resolution only if I saw it from a test pattern. And that wouldn't be the same as getting such resolution from programming, as I've outlined elsewhere .

Regarding color shifts from the RGB CRTs, I certainly haven't noticed anything obvious. I've displayed full-screen RGB images from the Avia test DVD, all 'pure' colors on the 64-in. 16X9 screen at my 8-ft. viewing distance. Makers of the CA-1 calibrator, offered by AVS at a discount recently, point out that the basic horizontal placement of RGB CRTs must result in some color shift when using their equipment to set up gray scale. But again, at least for my 9905, don't see any significant color shifts with video images, including test patterns. There's zero hot spotting with my 9905.

As for replacing standard RPTV screens with diffusion versions, it seems to have both advantages and disadvantages. A search here going back more than a year should reveal some threads and screen sources. It might provide higher resolution since such screens are akin to the ground-glass screens for cameras. But your converted set must have the electronic bandwidth and CRTs (etc.) to deliver higher resolution. Diffusion screens won't spread the light sideways as lenticular ribs are designed for. They may also cause a 'backsplash effect', bouncing more light back into the RPTV. -- John

·
Registered
77 Posts
I spent 6 months researching this set before purchasing it for $3,167.00 last week

First of all I must state up front that I never saw the set on display as no retailer in my area sold it and the Authorized Dealer only carried the Elite Line, which I wanted oh so bad but cost was a factor.

So I'll tell you why I'm soooooooooooo happy with it.

The picture quality is incredible. The internal line doublers are the same as in the Elite and make a big difference. I have a Toshia SD-3109 (non progressive scan) connected directly to the set, using componet cables. Watched Gladiator one time and had a whole new prospective of the movie.

The Automatic Format Converter combined with the set's ability to automativcally convert Interlaced NTSC 15.75kHz(480i) to 31.5kHz(480P) progressive display makes watching programming from my digital cable box look as if I were still viewing it on a tube tv. Very clear, and warm flesh tones. Not on every channel though, but hey there is nothing Digital about Digital Cable anyway.

The Natural Wide screen mode makes 4:3 fill the entire screen without looking all strecthed out.

I could go on but like I said I've only had the set for a week and have been tweaking it with my Avia DVD, and I've only watched one DVD with it. Will go out and get Phatom Menace this weekend and see how that looks.

I do have one negative about this set and this is when watching S-VHS tapes, because of the same features I mentioned, it looks like garbarge. The video source is not meant to be displayed at that high of a resolution and you can't shut the converter off.

In the end, I am very pleased with this set. I saw the 55" version at Best buy and nothing else they had in the store came close. I wanted 64" though. You will not be dissapointed with this set for awhile to come.

Cheers

Greg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Gabriel;

I got it from My Digital Universe . They are in WoodBridge NJ. That's across the river from Manhantan.

I live in Rochester NY which is about 300 miles North West.

They originally wanted $299.00 to ship it (by air if your not local) but when I told them I saw it for about $100 less on another site they sold it for $3,400 w/shipping.

They use Pilot Air Frieght Pilot Air Freight .

I ordered it on Wendesday and the local air frieght company called me by lunch the next day and said it was here. I damn near **** my pants.

Here's the skinny. The Sales guy told me that the frieght company only picks up on Monday, Wendesday and Friday. Check with them on the Monday and Friday but I know for sure Wendesday.

They won't deliver on the weekend so plan accordingly. They will check your CC while you wait on the phone, if you ask, but the charge won't show up for about a week. I did so there could be no waiting on ringing up the order.

I only Tweaked it so far with my Avia DVD. And it looks great, even cable.

I'm trying to decide if I want to get the calibration done or get that Pioneer DV-47a and the new Sony Remote and wait till later

I can't tell you how worried I was about spending so much money and trusting some company I never heard of. But the local dealer wanted about $4,500 for the same set plus tax. And One Call would not budge.

These guys worked with me and in the end I got exactly what I wanted as fast as I wanted it. Factory Sealed box, all manuals and stuff in place, delivery but no setup. And I saved about $1,000.

Only in America my friend

Hope this helps

Greg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry Gabriel;

I just saw your in Cali. I had another quote from a place called Lees Video . They are in Seattle.

They wanted $3,299 for the set and $347.00 to ship it to NY. You might want to give them a shot. I went with the other guys because they are closer but these guys said they would work with me on the price as well.

But I have no feedback on Lees Video.

You can go to Price Grabber and do a search on the Pioneer set. You'll see my review of the vendor I brought from there.

Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a 64ph9905 in Orlando 1 year ago and got this blue-left-side red-right-side problem. A pain in the *ss while watching broadcasts and DVD, much less noticeable with HD broadcasts but still quite annoying.

The service guy, after looking at the set from every side possible had no clue about what it could be, and later admitted he had not be trained for this kind of set so he had to get in touch with philips and would get back to me right after. No news from him since... and his buddies at the tech support could not localize him. Then it was time for me to come back to France and i have not been to the US since, and might not go for a while, so i decided to have this amazing Tv shipped to France so i can enjoy D-Theater here.

So Joe, if you find the right solution to fix it on your set, please post all relevant information here so i can figure out what to do.

Thanks by advance,

Fab

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FabFla
I bought a 64ph9905 in Orlando 1 year ago and got this blue-left-side red-right-side problem. A pain in the *ss while watching broadcasts and DVD, much less noticeable with HD broadcasts but still quite annoying.

After doing some research it seems that this is not an uncommon problem. The good news is that apparently the 'lens striping' procedure will take care of it.

I don't know if this is something that anyone would want to take on but it is descibed in detail at the Keohi HDTV site.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I just got my 64pp9751 yesterday, a full 19 days after ordering it. It took a while to go through the 15 point convergence with the pronto remote, but then I fed it HDNET. Absolute awe came over my face. This TV is so much nicer than most of the ones available in stores. I haven't run AVIA to calibrate colors yet, but I am very impressed with its ability to display HD.

I was very worried when I saw a smaller philips in the store and it looked way too green. I was unable to fix it with the controls, but this set didn't have that problem. I have to go check out a Pioneer HD5 now to see how it compares, but I was easily impressed with this unit and as I already have 8" CRT front projection and a DLP, I am not J6P. This Philips set is awesome.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
OK, I got the set (Philips 64pp9751) dialed in and converged using the 15 point convergence. I notice two problems:

#1 - The 15 point convergence goes all the way to the left and right edge, but not the top and bottom. Right now, the bottom of my screen is slightly out of convergence. Not too bad, but still, I would like to see it better.

#2 - SERIOUS PROBLEM - I adjust the convergence for 1080i HD feed and it looks great, but when I feed it a 480i signal, it isn't converged. I converge it for 480i and it looks fine, but when I go back to 1080i, it is out again. I fear that there is only one convergence it keeps and that won't work for all formats.

Does anybody have any possible solutions to this? I cannot switch back and forth between HDTV and TIVO right now. Also, the DVD output from my HTPC isn't 1080i, so I am going to have a problem with using the HTPC for DVD playback as well. A stand-alone progressive scan DVD will send out 480p, so that would be a third resolution to deal with as well.

Mike

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mike,

Based on my experience messing around with my 9751 this is how I think it works.

All the user video adjustments (incl. convergence) for each input are seperate from each other. A valid video source must be applied to the particular input before adjustments can be made. 480i can only be applied to Aux 1, 2 & 3 and Aux 4 & 5 can accept 480p or 1080i.

So your convergence adjustments for 1080i on Aux 4 or 5 will have no effect on the 480i inputs. They need to be adjusted seperately.

I do not know what happens with say Aux 4 in the auto mode if you make adjustments with a 480p input and then switch to 1080i. I haven't tried that yet since I lack the progressive DVD player to do that. I need to go buy one.

I have been able to converge my seperate inputs with no problems. Are you sure you are saving your settings after you finish. I forgot to do that a couple of times and it caused me some confusion.

Good luck,

Joe

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Mike,

Agree with the separate-adjustments and saving-them comments. Also, with my same-chassis Philips 64PH9905, I discovered certain ways of switching modes (AUX2 to ATSC, etc.) where a screen appears badly misconverged. When I shut my set off and on again, things go back to normal. To avoid this, I'm just carefull how I switch modes and rarely encounter this glitch now (~2 years use). -- John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.