AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a limited budget and hence have narrowed my choices down to these three. I would have liked to have a Pioneer Elite...In other threads, folks have preferred Sony over Toshiba. But, Home Theater Magazine in their March 2002 issue, ranks Toshiba quite high...better than Sony, but 2nd only to Pioneer.

Just trying to get an opinion from folks...

any ideas, advice !! thanks.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I looked at these three as well. Bought/ordered each, wound up getting the Pioneer for keeps. No regrets.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Assuming you could get any of the three for the same price, is the Pioneer so significantly better that it's worth dropping from a 57in down to a 53in?

A 4in difference may seem minor, but that actually translates into a 15% larger picture (NOT insignificant!).

As I don't own an HDTV set in any form :( I cannot imagine that the pioneer set would be so much better. Feel free to enlighten me of course :)

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Baronken
Assuming you could get any of the three for the same price, is the Pioneer so significantly better that it's worth dropping from a 57in down to a 53in? As I don't own an HDTV set in any form :( I cannot imagine that the pioneer set would be so much better. Feel free to enlighten me of course :)

Thanks,

Ken
You asked for opinions, you're getting opinions. Mine was formed after reading about 10,000 posts, lots of other research, and eyeballing these three sets. Would I rather have the 53 Pio over the 57 Tosh or Sony for the same price? IN MY OPINION -- Unequivocally yes in terms of these particular models. Is this an absolute technical certainty? Without a doubt - NO. Search for Michael TLV's postings for a more technically informed opinion.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
10,000 posts!!! Wow, I can't compare to that but I certainly agree that I would rather have the 53" Pioneer over the slightly bigger Tosh. The size difference is not great to me (at least at Best Buy). But I guess they all seem small compared to the 64" and 65".

·
Registered
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
10,000 posts!!!
give or take about 5,000 :)

I agree about bigger is better -- if you're going to sit more than 9-10 feet away...

·
Registered
577 Posts
To my eyes, it seems if you watch a lot of cable on your big screen, the Tosh looks better than that Pioneer....like everyone else tho...thats just my opinion....

and you know what they say about opinions....

In the end, I believe most sets are pretty much on an even keel...now I wouldn't argue with a videophile that one set does better with certain test patterns, but I don't view test patterns all night long...

My advice vish is to look at as many as you can and if possible view them displaying the format that you'll most likely be watching at home...and make your descision based on what YOU see.

I went with the Toshiba 57HX81 after viewing the Pioneer that you mentioned, a Hitachi and a couple different Sony's.

I don't think you'll be disappointed;) And, if you are, make sure that the place you purchase from has a 30 day money back policy..no questions asked....my local Tweeter has this policy, as does ABT Electronics...and many more do too I'm sure.

Best of luck,

Tom

·
Registered
609 Posts
Unless one sees all three properly set up and ISF cal'd it is not possible to make an educated opinion. That means tests like the home theater shootout should be given much more weight. Also what Michael TLV says (he calibrates for a living). What the sets look like in stores is nothing like what they look like after calibration. My wife would not watch our Toshiba 56H80 out of the box but loves it after calibration. From what I understand Pioneer does better at making there product look good out of the box but for the premium you pay, you can have one of the cheaper sets, have it ISF'd, buy a RP91 or the like, and still have money left over.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Heya Alv...I'd slightly disagree with you on your point that..... "Unless one sees all three properly set up and ISF cal'd it is not possible to make an educated opinion"

I think one can have an educated opinion based on research they personally do...whether that is viewing the sets in store, at a friends, reading these boards, reading other web sites with information regarding what they are looking for.

I don't think one needs to have their set professionally calibrated to have an "educated" opinion.

The whole thing with opinions is just that...take 'em for what they are worth...they are after all, just opinions.

That's kind of why I mentioned in my post that "you know what they say about opinions"....they are kind of like arseholes, everyones got one and they all stink.

In the end, one reads/researches all they can and then "they" make a decision for themselves.

Three people could look at the same picture and all have greatly differing perceptions as to how "clear/perfect/beautiful" add you own descriptor)" the picture is....who's to say who's wrong?

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I think a better statement would be, if you are going to get the set ISF calibrated...performance becomes a near wash. I personally would evaluate the potential quality without professional calibration (since I would not plan on a calibration within the first year of ownership). What I wanted after all of my research...Pioneer. What i found to be the best fit for my needs and my pocketbook...Mits.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Why wait a year? I know there is some drift over time but I found this minimal. I had my set calibrated 3 days (needed a good picture for superbowl party) after arrival and it held up quite well. I would recommend waiting a month but a year seems like a lot of time to have an inferior picture.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got my Sony kp57hw40 now and love it !

This TV is great, i have not tweaked it at all yet and the pic is good. Can't wait to get a isf tech out to see what he can get out of it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It may be a good move to wait until the fall for the new Sony's and Hitachi's. They have both committed to DVI and both have interesting new models. I am waiting on Hitachi's wxw 65". I Hope I can hold out that long.

·
Registered
87 Posts
:D Good move! Great set for the price. You have HDTV that you can watch today and i will have to wait. Oh well my 35" RCA tube looks pretty good from 3 feet. LOL. Congrats on your purchase!:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.