AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been reading the wealth of information on RPTVs in this forum and am greatly overwhelmed. I'm trying to find a RPTV under 3K for my parents' new house. I'm looking at the Hitachi TWX series, but that seems too expensive, and is it that much better than the rest of the RPTVs? I've also looked at the Pioneer SD533HD5 at OneCall's website, and the price seems right for that. To the people who have this pioneer unit, how is the viewing angle compared to the Hitachi because I used to work at CC and Hitachi was known to be the best of the crop, but now that I don't get discounts anymore, I have to look elsewhere. I'm wondering how upgradeable is the Pioneer to HDTV, because I don't want it to be obsolete in the future. Also, any comments on the Sony WV700 series? What is the difference between the WV600 and WV700? I actually ordered a KP51WS500 for my parents but found out that they have a problem with a greenish tone due to looking at other forums so I'm back to square one. I'm looking for an RPTV that I will sit perhaps 8-10 feet away from the screen and have the best viewing angle. Also, if I do go for a Hitachi TWX, what is the price that you guys paid? Maybe I can get my parents to spend the extra cash for that TV.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I've seen most of the hot sets on the market today (but we don't have Mitsu or the WV600 in Canada) and here are my favorites in order of preference:

Sony 57WV700

Pioneer SD533

Sony 51WS500

I'd probably buy the WV600 if it was significantly cheaper than the 700. I heard the main diff is the screen cover. In a dark room it's probably a waste of money.

See my post here on how I eliminated Toshiba and Hitachi:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...19#post1624519

I don't think you should have cancelled the Sony order, esp if it's for non-videophiles. But the Pioneer is an awesome set, esp at the prices you Americans can get it at!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I looked at the Toshiba and Hitatchi models but finally settled on the Pioneer 553. I can tell you that I am not disappointed in paying the extra bucks. I am running an HTPC throught the RGB input at 848x480 at 540p timings and the picture is amazing.

Here are some pros and cons I found with my set

Pros

Picture quality

Stretch modes (Natural Wide)

72 point convergance

Cons

Remote could use some work

Screen seems to refective

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I guess you got it from Stereo Plus? That's the only place I've seen it.

So the way you are running it, the set uses 1080i mode?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Right on, Stereo Plus in Kanata. Salesman was nice enough to move around several tv's side by side so I could get a good comparison with the Hitachi's and Toshiba's

I see their most recent flier has it for 4499 CDN,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Actually I am runnning 540p. The RGB port works with 480p, 540p and 1080i, even though the manual says it only supports 1080i. When I boot up the PC the picture is clear as a bell, "31k" shows up in the corner. After powerstrip kicks in and sets the res to 848x480 at 540p timings (fixes the overscan) "33k" shows up in the corner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.