AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to finalize my decision today on these two sets. I have checked the websites and looked at the manuals on line but cannot find an answer relating to these two different subjects.

Pioneer pdp4340- there is no mention in the manual concerning the use of a pixel orbitor or white screen like many others have, and can be accessed through the menus? Is this automatically done in this model?

Sony's new xs955 series- Again there is no mention in the manual concerning the ability to remove and not use the subwoofer which is attached to the back?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I received an answer about the sony's subwoofer,thank you.

I just need to know what and how Pioneer helps the user with anti burn-in measures ??

·
Registered
81 Posts
rll -

I just bought the Pioneer PDP-5040HD, which is same set but bigger, and I am not aware of any anti burn-in features. As you can see from the online manuals, there is some control over the color of the sidebars, and of course picture ratio options.

Despite that minor shortcoming, I love the set. In particular, the separate media receiver makes for convenient jack access when you keep changing your system. Separate adjustment of all picture parameters for each video input is also nice, as is having 2 HDMI inputs. I also like the discrete inputs that are directly accessible by the remote - simplifies macros with programmable remotes. Picture quality is great with good HD material, livable with average & mediocre SD material (DirecTV).

Max

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mgamon.

thanks for the input. I am sure there is something for reducing burn-ins. I have a toshba which I am returning, and it has a white screen, negative screen imager and a pixel rotator that you can activate. Sony and others also have these to do manually in the menu's. The pioneers have some great features and good quality pictures.

·
Registered
81 Posts
rll -

The only anti burn-in feature I can find is adjustment of side bar grey level. Pg 84 of the manual shows this. Maybe something is going on that is undocumented, but I doubt that. The list of features says nothing about anti burn-in, & normally they would brag about that.

Picture position can be adjusted, both L-R & up-down, but that is a setup type thing, not something you would want to keep changing.

Max

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mgamon,

The manufacturers have made many inroads in reducing the burn-in issues. I however am alittle concerned that there is nothing available in the menu's. The side bars should not be used for any length of time as most do not recommend their use for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have the Pio 1110HD. AFAIK, there's no pixel orbiters.

Another very simple anti-burn in feature is the panel can be configured to automatically turn off after three hours of no user interaction. About five minutes before the three hour limit, a very small warning appears in the bottom left corner of the screen. Note that "user input" means fiddling with the plasma's user interface or volume control, not the DVD, receiver or STB.

I *have* seen temporary burn-in on my set after my sister-in-law accidentally left a static, cartoon DVD menu screen up for a couple of hours. Upon discovering the static screen, I put up a black screen, and I could see the ghost of the DVD menu. I immediately found a nice 16:9 HD broadcast and let it run for an hour. The ghost was gone. I have no sign of any permanent burn in.

I have had my 1110HD for the better part of a year now. At first I was very concerned about damaging the screen. Now, I don't worry very much at all. The plasmas are frightfully expensive, but they aren't quite *that* fragile.

Ross

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ross,

Thanks for your input and comments. It still makes me wonder why most put sometype of safeguards in their menu's and Pioneer does not. There may be others as well, however i am only concerned about the models I am looking at, as my Toshiba had three of them. Maybe with the current technology and materials it has become and will become even less of an issue in the near future. I am sure Pioneer has their own reasoning. I will not let it bother me too much, but was more curious than anything. I am more concerned with the feature content and picture quality.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
One of the best things you can do to fight burn-in (as well as extend the already long time-to-half brightness hours) is to bump down the brightness and contrast on your pannel. Most plasmas (Pio is no exception) are capable of eye-searing whites. There's usually no need to configure your plasma to simulate an arc welding torch (and the welder's helmets are uncomfortable to wear during the four hours of the Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition).

Seriously, the "out of the box" settings are often set very high in order for the panel to draw attention to itself against a room full of other panels at the local AV store. In your house, however, a very realistic colour reproduction can be achieved with considerably lower brightness and contrast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.