AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am wondering which would do better for my rear surrounds, Pio FS22 or Pio BS22 on stands? I figure I will pay just about the same for the stands for the BS22's and the BS22's so thinking of doing all towers. I will be using a Sony STR-840 along with SVS PB-1000. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The FS52 are smaller towers, so the tweeter won't be at the appropriate height for surrounds. Ideally they should be a couple feet above your head and slightly behind the listening position, so I would probably lean towards the BS22 wall-mounted or on taller stands.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you. I did not know that. Can anyone suggestion some stands for the BS22's? Not looking to spend a lot on them. Also I need to be able to secure them on the stands. I have kids.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Sanus makes good stands, you can find them on Ebay. I don't know if there are clamp style stands big enough for those Pioneers, generally they are for smaller satellite speakers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

What height should the speaker stands be for these speakers?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Also I was planning on using 12 AWG. Is that a good idea? What kind of plugs do I need to connect to my receiver and speakers?

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
You probably won't find anything bigger than 36", I use that size, but ideally the surrounds are about 2 feet above ear level when wall mounted.

12 gauge is probably heavier than you need, but will work fine. You don't need any plugs to connect the wire, but banana plugs make it easier.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Should I go with 14 AWG? The run to the rear speakers will be 25ft.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticomon  /t/1524187/pioneer-sp-fs22-or-pioneer-sp-bs22-for-rear-surrounds#post_24535442

Should I go with 14 AWG? The run to the rear speakers will be 25ft.

You would be fine with 16awg there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Lol last question. What kind of banana plugs should I go with? I have a sony str dn840

·
Registered
7,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticomon  /t/1524187/pioneer-sp-fs22-or-pioneer-sp-bs22-for-rear-surrounds#post_24536115

Lol last question. What kind of banana plugs should I go with? I have a sony str dn840

Gold-plated banana plugs will not corrode over time; use those. See Monoprice for a good price (#2943, #9437, etc.).

For 25 feet you should use #14 or #12 wire. Monoprice #14 copper speaker wire is good and too cheap to use anything smaller.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticomon  /t/1524187/pioneer-sp-fs22-or-pioneer-sp-bs22-for-rear-surrounds#post_24533776

What height should the speaker stands be for these speakers?

The midrange driver should be at ear height, around 32" or so.

The most important thing is to get stands that are relatively massive and rigid, to couple the speaker to the floor solidly.

Wood stands are usually not very good.

The Sanus Steel Foundations stands are pretty good, and not too expensive.

Cheaping out on stands is a mistake that will cause the speakers to perform badly.

Fill the vertical column(s) with steel or lead birdshot for added mass. Get it online or at a sporting goods store.

Another thing that makes a great stand is a stack of 8" x 8" x 6" concrete blocks. Cheap, great mass,and they can look very nice if you just drape a large dark pillowcase or other cloth over them. Also child-proof and pet-proof (other than the cloth...).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts