AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just reported in Japan that Pioneer will be buying NEC's plasma business for approximately 40 billion Yen ($381 million). Pioneer will acquire NEC's plama reserach and production subsidiary. NEC will continue to sell plasma displays under the NEC brand. Combined, they will have 20% market share.

·
Registered
407 Posts
For a non-plasma owner, I can't believe I am the first person to say Wow !

Maybe everyone else knew this was going to happen. Does it eliminate NEC displays or put them in retail storefronts ?

And I was just starting to put NEC on my "must check out afer paying the kids' tuition" list.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Too bad, on one hand. Competition is good. But although I really like my NEC, they didn't seem to have much interest in the consumer market.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
This is great, great news. There is a rapid path to a 61" Pioneer and a channel into which they can start selling the other NECs.

I'd hardly call this a reduction in competition. Instead, it creates even more competition at retail, especially if Pioneer uses the NEC brand as their value line.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
It looks like the Fujitsu killer has arrived - hope they lauch the hybrids with a spectacularly low-priced >60" true 1080P screen: Upgrade time! :cool:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Is there a site with all the real down and dirty manufacturer info....in other words...where can I find the real line FAQ or 411 on which company actually makes its own panels from start to finish...which company just slaps it name on a pre-manufactured panel...which company makes what % of its panel from inhouse and another % from outhouse...and where do companies buy the remaining percentage ?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thanks...that was easy enough...I do not see how I missed that....it is dated 2001...can I assume all is still the same...outside of this Pioneer/NEC news.

So who makes the computer company plasmas...like Gateway.

Will there be a Dell plasma ?

Then there are the smaller names like Sampo ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am getting some conflicting information, I purchased a Toshiba 42HP83P and some people here are say the glass is made by Panasonic others say it is NEC, does anyone here know who really makes it??

·
Registered
126 Posts
Pioneer Buying NEC's Plasma Operations

Associated Press - February 3, 2004

TOKYO (AP) - Pioneer Corp. will buy NEC Corp.'s plasma display panel operations, the two Japanese electronics companies said Tuesday.

The demand for plasma display panels is surging amid the growing popularity of flat-screen TVs. But intensifying competition from Asian rivals has been spurring a realignment among Japanese makers, including NEC and Pioneer.

Pricing and other details will be announced later, both sides said in a statement. Pioneer said it expects to hold a leading 22 percent share of the global plasma display panel market in fiscal 2005 as a result of the deal.

Under the agreement, Pioneer will acquire all shares in NEC Plasma Display Corp., an NEC subsidiary, and all intellectual property rights NEC holds related to plasma display panels.

NEC said it hopes to focus on its core businesses of network solutions and semiconductors. Panel Display panels are a major part of Pioneer's business.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Pioneer, Matsushita, LG and Samsung are about to get into quite a scrum for dominance.

Quite a scrum indeed.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
.... indeed, a good scrum. And the consumers will be the winners. 4 primary players is enough for good competition on technology and on price.

Cheers

·
Registered
114 Posts
From EETimes :

"Pioneer owns three PDP lines for 43- and 50-inch panels with a total capacity of 250,000 units a year. The fourth line curently [sic] under construction will double its capacity by next January. Pioneer was considering building the fifth PDP line, but has chosen to purchase an existing plant."

"NEC Plasma Display, with about 1,100 employees and about ¥50 billion (about $472 million) in sales, owns two PDP lines at its Kagoshima plant. One line handles glass substrates for 42-inch panels. The other line produces 35-inch wide panels. Total production capacity is 22,500 substrates a month, or 270,000 substrates a year.

Pioneer ranked fifth and NEC sixth in PDP production, according to Techno System Research, based here. By combining their operations they will hold an estimated 22-percent market share, which exceeds the shares of competitors such as Fujitsu Hitachi Plasma Display Ltd., Samsung Electronics and LG Philips. "

"Pioneer and NEC's panel structures are similar. Both use waffle-shaped ribs. Their technologies are expected to merge easily, according to Akira Nijima, president of Pioneer Home Entertainment company.

NEC has been supplying PDP panels to Sony Corp., which competes directly with Pioneer in the PDP TV market. After the merger, Pioneer will take over the OEM panel supply operation and will continue supplying panels to rival Sony. "We already talked with Sony about this purchase and agreed to continue supplying panels," said Niijima"

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Sounds all good. No surprise they keep selling to Sony. Matsushita sells to Fujitsu.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I suspect that the Japanese manufacturers may start cross-licensing technology and cross-selling resources and capacity between themselves to ward off what will no doubt be very stiff competition from LG and Samsung in Korea.

Right now the Japanese makes all have some bit of technology that produces a superior set, but no one has the whole enchilada. If they can collectively produce better technology, that leaves only price for the Korean companies to compete on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would it be unwise to purchase a NEC plasma because of the "merger?" I am close to ordering a 50mx3/s but I am also considering the fuj p50-30. Any thoughts???

thanks

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Toshiba has swapped between glass suppliers. I don't know who makes the current Toshiba glass, but it was once Matsushita... I believe it's now NEC, but not sure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.