AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 1265 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Another question relates to tone-mapping. Does this come with preset for tone mapping for 4K projector? I'm thinking of getting the Panny UB820 for its HDR Optimizer feature to do auto tone-mapping but if this Pioneer UDP-LX500 is able to do auto tone mapping for projector user, I'll be interested.
Yes it comes with a PJ preset (that is pretty good) and you can (manually) change all the related parameters... there is no "HDR Optimizer".

The default preset is pretty good and colors accurate... the HDR Optimizer in the Panasonic make the "Specular Highlights" Pops more... the PJ image generated by the PIO is more "SDR like", more neutral, but is not dark at all...

What I don't find so far in the Pio is an SDR/BT.2020 mode comparable to the Panasonic one... but I'm still investigating...

What is sure is that the Oppo, for PJs, is well behind the Pio...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yes it comes with a PJ preset (that is pretty good) and you can (manually) change all the related parameters... there is no "HDR Optimizer".

The default preset is pretty good and color accurate... the HDR Optimizer in the Panasonic make the "Specular Highlights" Pops more... the PJ image generated by the PIO is more "SDR like", but is not dark at all...

What I don't find so far in the Pio is a SDR/BT.2020 mode comparable to the Panasonic one... but I'm still investigating...

What is sure is that the Oppo, for PJs, is well behind the Pio...

Thanks for the quick response. Appreciate your inputs. Some UHD disc doesn’t come with the MaxCLL and MaxFALL metadata and how does Pioneer handles that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. Appreciate your inputs. Some UHD disc doesn’t come with the MaxCLL and MaxFALL metadata and how does Pioneer handles that?

Good question... but for now I don't have an answer for you...
What I can say is that two days ago I inserted an HDR movie with no MacCLL and MaxFALL in the player and I liked what I saw... :D

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Good question... but for now I don't have an answer for you...

What I can say is that two days ago I inserted an HDR movie with no MacCLL and MaxFALL in the player and I liked what I saw... :D

Thanks for the reply. I guess this is the problem with many studios omitting this display master info for display to take full advantage of when it comes to tone mapping. Disney studios is one of the biggest culprits here. I know a Warner Bros studio have the metadata in the disc.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I guess this is the problem with many studios omitting this display master info for display to take full advantage of when it comes to tone mapping. Disney studios is one of the biggest culprits here. I know a Warner Bros studio have the metadata in the disc.

By the way... I still prefer my Panasonic UB9000 for HDR/PJ use... I feel that the HDR Optimizer is really a step forward...
Maybe the Pio will catch up in the future because is quite close...

Reactions: Tex_Thai

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
By the way... I still prefer my Panasonic UB9000 for HDR/PJ use... I feel that the HDR Optimizer is really a step forward...

Maybe the Pio will catch up in the future because is quite close...

Thanks for the feedback. And yes, if one is to place PQ over SQ and built, Panny will be a better choice. But pioneer is the better all rounder considering that it is a full fledged universal player that plays SACD and DVD Audio as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. And yes, if one is to place PQ over SQ and built, Panny will be a better choice. But pioneer is the better all rounder considering that it is a full fledged universal player that plays SACD and DVD Audio as well.

I got both of them, as I have staten before is really a close call... video is slightly better on the Panny but you will miss SACD and DVD-A playback if you need them...

...and the build quality of the Pio is amazing... being a true universal disc spinner, the Pio is the real "Oppo killer"...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I got both of them, as I have staten before is really a close call... video is slightly better on the Panny but you will miss SACD and DVD-A playback if you need them...

...and the build quality of the Pio is amazing... being a true universal disc spinner, the Pio is the real "Oppo killer"...

Agreed. In Singapore, Panny did not bring in the UB820. Have to import from other country.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agreed. In Singapore, Panny did not bring in the UB820. Have to import from other country.

In the EU both the LX500, the UB900 and the UB820 are available... but in very limited quantity... but the cheap UB420 is everywhere... in the USA is even worser at the moment, for high end players I mean...

I think the high end market is too small... we are talking of "Tone Mapping" & PJs... the majority of punters don't have a PJ, an OLED or an AV system... they ave a flat panel, often small in size and are not able to tell the difference between a DVD and a BD... they watch Netflix or soccer on the TV apps and they are happy, they don't need more... :D

Reactions: Phil1975m

·
Registered
163 Posts
Good interesting discussion, comments and pics above guys, thanks so very much.
Extremely interested in all you guys have to offer.
Especially I-SIBI, your direct comparisons of each of the usual suspect disc players head to head, side by side in the same system.
Good stuff!!!!
I am most heartened by your comment that the Pioneer is the "OPPO Killer" as that is exactly what I am looking for. Because I need a universal player. And have used OPPOs for years and years. Was just gonna replace my OLD OPPO 95 this year with a new 205 until they announced they were getting outta the business. I have the utmost respect for OPPO, it was a great ride all these years.
BUT I am not the most keen on the SABRE chips they use, a little clinical and sometimes dry, unmusical top end to my ears. So have been looking for something else. I am pretty happy with my XMC-1, especially with DIRAC, the Burr Brown DSD 1796 DAC seems a bit more musical to me. So I will just have to go with that. Such a decision MIGHT have made the Cambridge the logical way to go, since I am gonna use the HDMI and my XMC-1 for multi-channel listening. But where I live, it goes for the same price as the new Pioneer and has NO DAC. IF it were half the price that might have been the way to go, but I am very happy to hear you rank the LX500 over the Cambridge.
I may not, probably won't use the DAC in the Pioneer, but at least it is there and MIGHT sound great.
Can't wait to get mine. Oh, hold on, I HAVE to WAIT.
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
141 Posts
@Tex_Thai

Remember that I'm more into the video aspect of this players and that all the Soundtracks are streamed to my Marantz and decoded by it... so I'm not commenting on the quality of the internal DACs of this players...

I stream most of my music to a Marantz NA6006... and I have an old (very old) Technics High-End MASH CD player connected to a NAD Amply and a couple of Tannoys for my CD needs...
I must say that the sound of the MASH converter is still divine after 20 years... i really hope that the player will not die soon... ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
WOW I-SIBI,
Divine sounds cool, stay with that you got!!!! Hope it lasts for many more years.

Will hope someone who uses the LX500 for music will comment, report.
Not that I am any Gold ear wonder, I have a tubed CD player from Jolida that sounds pretty sweet. But honestly, truth told, my OPPO 95 played CDs just as well for me, so the tubes on the Jolida are getting moldy.
My CDs are growing moldy too, I just don't listen to POS, poor old stereo.
Blu ray audio, Blu ray concerts, SACDs and DVD Audio are where all the fun listening (and watching) is for me. And movies of course.
Enjoy
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
141 Posts
Next weekend I have in the pipeline three new UHDs: Widows, Venom (EU version) & Hunter Killer.... I will post more impressions and pictures on HDR Tone Mapping with Projectors... on the LX500 of course, maybe with a direct comparison with the UB9000... but I'm doubtful that I will be able to show the fine differences between the two players taking pixas of the screen...

·
Registered
14,656 Posts
"Oppo killer" in what regard?

Bill

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Bill, I don't want to presume to speak for anyone else, and certainly don't wish to be argumentative here.
But probably for me the more appropriate term might be the heir apparent for OPPO universal players.
Not only are the OPPOs no longer available where I live, not even at the exalted prices they are getting now, but I do not wish to buy a player that will not be supported down the road. Yes, OPPO has always had great support, but if you consider I am still running a 83SE and a 95, and how long I have been using them, and still hoping OPPO support will not totally go away, I feel rather sure support for a new 205, IF I could find one, which I can't, would not be there that far down the road.
So I am looking for a company to step in and fill those lofty shoes.
Nuff said.
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
141 Posts
OK I continued the LX500 testing...

Now is time for the HDR Tests with 4K PJ...

The Movie is the US version of Hunter Killer, very very very weak script (like many movies nowadays), but one of the best 4k video I ever seen... razor sharp, clean, with no artifacts or grain... and a gorgeous immersive atmos soundtrack...

The performance of the Pio was flawlwess, colors are perfect (including skins and dark scenes) and the "Specular Highlights" clearly outlined (whatch for the bright orange light when the commando goes to save the Russian President)... the tone mapping is pretty good... I know that people likes 1600 nits and the light of a nuclear explosion created by the likes of a Sammy QLED... but I'm "old fashioned" and I like a much more cinematic look... in this the Pio on a PJ is perfect...

Only hiccup (of old Oppo memory)... the disc froze once and I had to restart the player... no issues after that...

If you like, I will continue with more UHDs and report...

·
Registered
141 Posts
some pixas...

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Some more pictures...

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi I-SIBI,
A quick and probably ignorant question.
I read that Hunter Killer was Dolby Vision, but there it shows to be HDR 10. Am I missing something? Did I get the wrong info?
Thanks for this post and I hope you will continue to post more.
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Hi I-SIBI,
A quick and probably ignorant question.
I read that Hunter Killer was Dolby Vision, but there it shows to be HDR 10. Am I missing something? Did I get the wrong info?
Thanks for this post and I hope you will continue to post more.
God Bless,
Wayne
Projectors can't do DV. They get sent the HDR10 layer determined by the HDMI handshake done with the player and projector.

221 - 240 of 1265 Posts