AVS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 1264 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm considering a purchase and am wondering if anyone has experience with the following:

• Connecting and using successfully with an older, non UHD TV. In my case a Pioneer KURO. (Owners manual: pages 17 & 20)
  • Using the USB. Is this only good for flash drives? Or, can an actual external hard drive be connected? (Owners manual: pages 12 & 22)
  • Can this be connected to a PC via a network connection? Does it need to be via an ethernet connection? Or, can it also be wi-fi? (Owners manual: pages 12, 23 & 35)
I'm asking the above because I've read the manual and I've also talked to Pio Tech Support. And in some cases the information conflicts. So, I'm looking for help from those with "user" experience that have actually done the above and can comment on whether it is possible. And, if possible, how effective or cumbersome is it.

What I'm after is determining the level of future proofing the LX-500 can provide. By future proofing I mean that at some point my movie and music collection will transition from an optical disc medium to both an optical disc and file based medium. The file based medium will either be in an external hard drive or a PC. So, I want to be able to continue to use the unit file based movies and music.

P.S. I'm sure some will offer alternatives to what I am asking but what I am interested in assessing is the LX-500.

Thank you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Comparison to 85fd

I do not own a UHD TV. I am wondering if there is any compelling reason to upgrade to the LX-500 from the previous Pioneer 85FD. Is there any improvement in regular Blu-ray quality?

One of my disappointments with the 85FD is that the dual HDMI outputs are not truly separate. As I've learned from other forum members, the same hardware operates both outlets in older machines. So the video quality can suffer if the 2nd output is connected to a device that is not of the same resolution, even a soundbar. Supposedly newer machines have addressed this issue. Does anyone know if this has been rectified in the LX-500?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'm considering a purchase and am wondering if anyone has experience with the following:

• Connecting and using successfully with an older, non UHD TV. In my case a Pioneer KURO. (Owners manual: pages 17 & 20)
  • Using the USB. Is this only good for flash drives? Or, can an actual external hard drive be connected? (Owners manual: pages 12 & 22)
  • Can this be connected to a PC via a network connection? Does it need to be via an ethernet connection? Or, can it also be wi-fi? (Owners manual: pages 12, 23 & 35)
I'm asking the above because I've read the manual and I've also talked to Pio Tech Support. And in some cases the information conflicts. So, I'm looking for help from those with "user" experience that have actually done the above and can comment on whether it is possible. And, if possible, how effective or cumbersome is it.

What I'm after is determining the level of future proofing the LX-500 can provide. By future proofing I mean that at some point my movie and music collection will transition from an optical disc medium to both an optical disc and file based medium. The file based medium will either be in an external hard drive or a PC. So, I want to be able to continue to use the unit file based movies and music.

P.S. I'm sure some will offer alternatives to what I am asking but what I am interested in assessing is the LX-500.

Thank you.
What is the movie file format you will be storing after transcoding? If MKV, then u can forget about LX-500 as it won’t read MKV file container except for MP4. M2TS and TS are fine. A few other file based formats for video but not going to accept surround sound formats hence I didn’t bring up.

For music file formats, there is more support and flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
What is the movie file format you will be storing after transcoding? If MKV, then u can forget about LX-500 as it won’t read MKV file container except for MP4. M2TS and TS are fine. A few other file based formats for video but not going to accept surround sound formats hence I didn’t bring up.

For music file formats, there is more support and flexibility.

Thank you. That's helpful.

Can multi-channel music files be played?

·
Registered
163 Posts
^^^^^^^
Thanks desray2k,
Do you mind, can you tell us how you play back multi-channel files through the LX500?
VERY interested in that.
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
163 Posts
desray2K,
Thank you to reply, sorry, but that doesn't help here.

And T-smith, the center, enter button on my harmony remote works great to do just as you said, when I have the Universal screen saver on, center/enter takes me right back straight away to play, thanks for that great tip!!!!!
All the best, God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had an audio drop at the very beginning of The town UHD, just when the Warner logo pops up just after loading the disc and before the menu. Tried three times, the last after cleaning the disc, and it happened in all three. Tried on my Oppo203 and played fine. Then I watched the film on the Pio and it played flawlessly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Watched Mortal Engines last night and it sounded and looked awesome but had a freeze in chapter 17 or 18. Almost at the end. That is really starting to bother me when it happens!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yes. multi channel flac files and dff and dsd multi channels files played with no issue for me.

So, it sounds like you are saying that if I rip SACD and DVD-Audio discs to the above file formats I will be able to play them in the LX 500? Correct?

And, your Synology NAS is connected to the LX 500 via USB?

And, (from reading this thread), the music within your Synology NAS can be accessed via a TV or an app like mconnect?

And, if you want to play a 2-channel file in you Synology NAS, can you specify whether the HDMI or the analog outs on the LX 500 are used?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
So, it sounds like you are saying that if I rip SACD and DVD-Audio discs to the above file formats I will be able to play them in the LX 500? Correct?

And, your Synology NAS is connected to the LX 500 via USB?

And, (from reading this thread), the music within your Synology NAS can be accessed via a TV or an app like mconnect?

And, if you want to play a 2-channel file in you Synology NAS, can you specify whether the HDMI or the analog outs on the LX 500 are used?

Thank you.

Yes ripped the SACD to those formats and the LX-500 will be able to read and playback.

After I ripped the files to my desired formats using software (google isotodsd from Sonore, sadly no longer in development but still works on Win 10), I transferred those rips to my Synology NAS connected to my power line AV plug (AV2000) to stream those files to the LX-500 for playback. Of course, you also can playback those ripped files via a USB thumb drive as long as it appears under the Source.

I’m using BOTH HDMI and Analog connection and switching between contents. For instance, if I playback multi channel flac or dsd/dff files, I will use HDMI connection as Analog output only have 2 channels.

@Tex_Thai: I don’t know what is so hard to understand when I say stream from my NAS.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yes ripped the SACD to those formats and the LX-500 will be able to read and playback.

After I ripped the files to my desired formats using software (google isotodsd from Sonore, sadly no longer in development but still works on Win 10), I transferred those rips to my Synology NAS connected to my power line AV plug (AV2000) to stream those files to the LX-500 for playback. Of course, you also can playback those ripped files via a USB thumb drive as long as it appears under the Source.

I’m using BOTH HDMI and Analog connection and switching between contents. For instance, if I playback multi channel flac or dsd/dff files, I will use HDMI connection as Analog output only have 2 channels.

Thanks again. This has been helpful.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks desray2K,
You have given further info that makes it more clear, and I am guessing your NAS is connected to the LX500 by ethernet cable?
It doesn't matter, as I don't have a NAS and don't do streaming, as I said, it doesn't help here.
It is all good, thanks,
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
163 Posts
My player is FINALLY on the way!!!!!!
Can't wait.
Will report back when I have it up and running, and see what I have got.
God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
14,656 Posts
Reactions: Tex_Thai

·
Registered
163 Posts
^^^^^^
Bill Mac,
Obviously you are the man to ask about SACD playback. Do you (if you don't mind my asking) use the DAC in your Emo XMC-1 to decode multichannel content, as I do? Or the DAC in your OPPO 205? Which do you like better?
I am quite happy to have the DAC in the XMC-1 do the work, and that is what I intend to continue doing when I get the LX500.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne

·
Registered
33 Posts
DVD and Blu-ray playback

I wonder if anyone has an opinion on the DVD and Blu-ray capabilities of the LX500 compared to the previous 85FD? I don't yet own a UHD TV, but I'm trying to decide if I should take the opportunity to upgrade to the LX500 while it is available.

361 - 380 of 1264 Posts