AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1397 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok, thanks. I actually prefer the USA design more.
No problem.

I know from the past there's been a lot of confusion between consumers in the US and Europe in this regard. Not entierly sure why Pioneer made this marketing choice a long time ago. Why couldn't their top-of-the-line products be named 'Elite' all over instead of having different versions that are essentially all the same? In a way this marketing strategy mirrors the one for TV's.

Just like the 'Elite' logo the matching amber display looks really nice. That said, I'm so used to the clean look of the European models that those are perfectly fine as well.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thinking about buying this one, since the Panasonic UB9000 coming to the US is now questionable.

Question on Ethernet to update firmware. Have a laptop and WiFI. Take it I can't just connect an ethernet cable from the player to my laptop for updates? If no, my router is on another floor. Do I need to either pull the player or move the router so I can run an ethernet cable from the player to the router? Do I then need to run another cable from my laptop to the router? Seems a little cumbersome. Thanks.

Pioneer claimed the wifi modules add distortion and degrade S/N. That’s why they said they went with only a LAN connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thinking about buying this one, since the Panasonic UB9000 coming to the US is now questionable.

Question on Ethernet to update firmware. Have a laptop and WiFI. Take it I can't just connect an ethernet cable from the player to my laptop for updates? If no, my router is on another floor. Do I need to either pull the player or move the router so I can run an ethernet cable from the player to the router? Do I then need to run another cable from my laptop to the router? Seems a little cumbersome. Thanks.

You can update the firmware via USB, according to the manual, page 46: https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/manuals/docs/SN29403453_UDP-LX500_En_180703_web.pdf

·
Registered
203 Posts

Get a wireless plug in expansion module. You can find those on Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts

Get a wireless plug in expansion module. You can find those on Amazon.

Powerline adapters also work well. I have found them more stable than using wireless extenders.

S~

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think it's a good thing that this machine does not have WiFi, as I too believe there is a risk of distortion. So if that's what Pioneer claims I applaud that choice. However, for the sake of convenience I understand why some would like the option.

Naaaaahhh, I'm a bit more cynical and thus does not believe the distortion risk is anything we can hear :eeksurprise:

As the player has no apps, but still support network play, the decision not to support WiFi makes perfect sense. Ethernet vi cable is very well know, secure and cheap to implement compared to WiFi.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I know. Just curious on how it would work with an ethernet. Thanks

My guess is that you have to configure your laptop as a router with access to internet to update the player that way. Personally I'll just use an USB drive and call it a day....

You can also drag a temporary cable from your router, if possible, to the player, which I've done on occasion for various devices over the years since WiFi is so very flaky.

Forgot that internet access might be required for playing UHD, at least the first time, so for users having to drag a cable might be more than inconvenient. Personally I've never used BD Live nor do i have an UHD player. Now, for me, that will be a real bummer.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Powerline adapters also work well. I have found them more stable than using wireless extenders.

S~

This is what I use when I need an Ethernet line and they work really well.

I also have a WiFi extender which has a LAN port but I prefer the Powerline adapters that don’t use WiFi and are basically plug and play.

My player will be delivered tomorrow hopefully early and I’ll be using the powerline adapters until I can run an Ethernet line which I’m hoping to do this weekend.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Nice write up! Panasonic may miss there chance with my $
Thanks! It's a pity Panasonic won't release their top machine in the US. Might be a good thing for Pioneer on the other hand ;)

Reactions: audiofan1

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Thanks! It's a pity Panasonic won't release their top machine in the US. Might be a good thing for Pioneer on the other hand ;)
I glanced over the feature suit and noticed the one feature that would make or break it for me and that was Dolby vision low latency support for my Sony display and kudos it does! Do you happen to know which Dac is on board?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Here is a pic of the US version that I received today which does in fact have the Elite logo with gold trim and amber display as others have stated.

I’ve never been a fan of the gold with amber display but this one isn’t or wasn’t bothering me probably because my rack is off to the side and not under TV. I then saw the blue power light with the amber and they look hideous together.

The size of this unit is very close to the Oppo 205 but this Pioneer feels bigger and heavier. Was just delivered about an hour ago so not much else to provide yet other than two channel analog sounds pretty decent out of the box.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Here is a pic of the US version that I received today which does in fact have the Elite logo with gold trim and amber display as others have stated.

I’ve never been a fan of the gold with amber display but this one isn’t or wasn’t bothering me probably because my rack is off to the side and not under TV. I then saw the blue power light with the amber and they look hideous together.

The size of this unit is very close to the Oppo 205 but this Pioneer feels bigger and heavier. Was just delivered about an hour ago so not much else to provide yet other than two channel analog sounds pretty decent out of the box.

Did you also feel that the boot-up disc time was slower than the oppo ? There was a report of it being slower by one other member in a different thread.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Did you also feel that the boot-up disc time was slower than the oppo ? There was a report of it being slower by one other member in a different thread.

This Pioneer does appear to be a little slower starting a disc than my Oppos and the Panny 820 I have but it’s not dramatically slower.

This player reminds me of my Denon players as far as the information displayed, the green circle when disc is loading, Play symbol in top left.

I can use the mconnect app with this player to play music when TV is off but I’m hoping Pioneer releases an app for this as I don’t think there is one for this yet.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

I think it looks gorgeous! In a picture at least. But that's the only way I've seen 'Elite' versions.

It makes sense however that a blue illumination and an amber display won't match visually. That's actually an ok aspect with the European version I have, since the white display matches pretty well with the blue illumination. Like I mentioned in my review however - it's ashamed we can't turn the illumination off if desired (like we can on most Pioneer receivers).

Nice comparison with the Oppo UDP-205!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I can use the mconnect app with this player to play music when TV is off but I’m hoping Pioneer releases an app for this as I don’t think there is one for this yet.
According to my dealer Pioneer have said they are working on implementing control of the player into the app that also control their receivers. Don't know if that's true though.

I'm currently using "Pioneer Remote App" in order to control streaming via Tidal in the SC-LX901. It's pretty decent. I can adjust most settings of the receiver there as well. Would be great if they added the player.

21 - 40 of 1397 Posts