AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been waiting for four years for prices to come down, and feel now may be the time to buy. We can sit 9 feet or 18 feet away from our living room set, and about similar distances for a set for the master bedroom. Would a 50" be best or would we have to go up to a 60"? If we got 60" sets, would we ALWAYS have to sit 18 feet away?

I've been researching online, and it seem that the following plasmas may provide highest quality video (and audio ?). We'd also like a set that is easy to use, and has split screen... so my husband can watch two games at once (of course... :)

So far it looks like Panasonic or Pioneer. These are some of the models that look good Panasonic TH-50PX60U or the same model in 58" or 60" and the Pioneer PDP-5070HD or maybe bite the bullet and go up to the Elite series, and even to the PRO-FHD1 a 60" (with the higher HD resolution).

I'm willing to spend some bucks to put together a pretty spiffy home entertainment center, because it'll probably be the last TV/DVD/?? we buy, because we keep things until they die! Would you believe we are still watching a 20 year old Sony 21"?

I'm hoping someone can help us make choices that will give us an up-to-date system that will last, including all the peripherals one might want to include. We're obivously newbies who've been living in the dark tube days for YEARS!

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Unless you've been "lurking" here a long time I'd suggest getting to know this Forum a little better and wait until this summer when the latest series of PDPs, announced last week at CES 2007, become available. You can't go wrong with either Panasonic or Pioneer and the only thing better than a 50" display is a 60" PDP. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/0

Unless you've been "lurking" here a long time I'd suggest getting to know this Forum a little better and wait until this summer when the latest series of PDPs, announced last week at CES 2007, become available. You can't go wrong with either Panasonic or Pioneer and the only thing better than a 50" display is a 60" PDP. Good luck.

Nah, dont wait. Why wait? Even if you do you'll just be tempted to wait longer...its a never-ending "wait" cycle.

Enjoy HD now...life is too short.

Both Panny and Pioneer are great brands. I feel Panny is a better value and made it my choice for this very reason. Pioneer reminds me of Sony sometimes.... good stuff but not worth the over-charge versus other top brands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm the original poster re trying to decide between the Panasonic and Pioneer. I was just at Costco, and saw they have "on sale" a Panasonic TH-50PX6U for $2199 through tomorrow. The one I have seen on the net is the TH-50PX6OU. Does anyone know what the difference is??? The price looks pretty good. They also have a 58" Panasonic TH-58PX60UC for $3799.99. Why the BIG jump in price, and...The 58" I saw online also differed. It's number was TH-58PX6OU (no C on the end)? HELP!! If I decide to buy from CostCo, am I getting a lesser TV than what I've seen on line?

·
Registered
899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlnorman /forum/post/0

We can sit 9 feet or 18 feet away from our living room set, and about similar distances for a set for the master bedroom. Would a 50" be best or would we have to go up to a 60"? If we got 60" sets, would we ALWAYS have to sit 18 feet away?

At your distances, I would definitely go with a 60". I sit about 8.5' from my 50" and I'm planning on upgrading to 65" in the future.

Given that you guys are coming from a 21" TV, the 60" plasma may seem way too big initially, but after a while, you'll get used to it and it may actually seem small.

18 feet away is too far for either 50" or 60". But, if that's how your seating area is, I would definitely not even bother w/ the 50".

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:

We have been waiting for four years for prices to come down, and feel now may be the time to buy. We can sit 9 feet or 18 feet away from our living room set, and about similar distances for a set for the master bedroom. Would a 50" be best or would we have to go up to a 60"? If we got 60" sets, would we ALWAYS have to sit 18 feet away?

I've been researching online, and it seem that the following plasmas may provide highest quality video (and audio ?). We'd also like a set that is easy to use, and has split screen... so my husband can watch two games at once (of course... :)

So far it looks like Panasonic or Pioneer. These are some of the models that look good Panasonic TH-50PX60U or the same model in 58" or 60" and the Pioneer PDP-5070HD or maybe bite the bullet and go up to the Elite series, and even to the PRO-FHD1 a 60" (with the higher HD resolution).

I'm willing to spend some bucks to put together a pretty spiffy home entertainment center, because it'll probably be the last TV/DVD/?? we buy, because we keep things until they die! Would you believe we are still watching a 20 year old Sony 21"?

I'm hoping someone can help us make choices that will give us an up-to-date system that will last, including all the peripherals one might want to include. We're obivously newbies who've been living in the dark tube days for YEARS!

If you are really going to keep it till it dies, then I suggest the following:

(1) Get at least a 60" display.

(2) Get a 1080p display - later this year

(3) Get a display that accepts a 1080p signal via HDMI 1.3

(4) Get a display that provides for 1:1 pixel mapping via HDMI and VGA

(5) Even consider, if available, a display supporting deep-color

Why this approach?

This, and only this, will provide a long term foundation that will allow future upgrading of the PQ without changing the display as processor technology evolves. At some time in the future, over the life of the display, you can then simply and economically add, for instance, an AV receiver or PC connection that contains an advanced high quality video procressing chip. At that later date, you would drive the display as a pure monitor using the new improved processing instead of the display's then older procesing.

Disk players and other components are just starting to come to market with these chips and that trend will evolve over the next decade.

We are finally on the verge of this componentization of a video system that will allow keeping the basic display glass and upgrading the electronics separately over time as needed.

Just food for thought.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:

I'm the original poster re trying to decide between the Panasonic and Pioneer. I was just at Costco, and saw they have "on sale" a Panasonic TH-50PX6U for $2199 through tomorrow. The one I have seen on the net is the TH-50PX6OU. Does anyone know what the difference is???

The TH-50PX6U seems to be sold mostly at Club Warehouses where as the TH-50PX6OU is sold at regular electronic stores. The difference in the two models are... the TH-50PX6U has a dark charcoal color trim around the screen where as the TH-PX506OU is black. TH-50PX6U doesn't have a Photo Viewer, SD Card Slot, and isn't CableCARD Ready. Where as the TH-50PX6OU have those options.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap /forum/post/0

If you are really going to keep it till it dies, then I suggest the following:

(1) Get at least a 60" display.

(2) Get a 1080p display - later this year

(3) Get a display that accepts a 1080p signal via HDMI 1.3

(4) Get a display that provides for 1:1 pixel mapping via HDMI and VGA

(5) Even consider, if available, a display supporting deep-color

Why this approach?

This, and only this, will provide a long term foundation that will allow future upgrading of the PQ without changing the display as processor technology evolves. At some time in the future, over the life of the display, you can then simply and economically add, for instance, an AV receiver or PC connection that contains an advanced high quality video procressing chip. At that later date, you would drive the display as a pure monitor using the new improved processing instead of the display's then older procesing.

Disk players and other components are just starting to come to market with these chips and that trend will evolve over the next decade.

We are finally on the verge of this componentization of a video system that will allow keeping the basic display glass and upgrading the electronics separately over time as needed.

Just food for thought.

Cheers,

Gary

This is a great advice that I'll propably follow myself but I thought that the TV i purchased a few years back was future upgradable because I could just change the video card when a new technology came along. well they don't make video cards for my TV anymore. So I would not count on any TV to be future proof or even upgradable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
not supposed to talk prices here, but u realize bestbuy has no interest till 2010 and they will deff beat the price. my dad just got a samsung and they beat the price here in san diego by a couple hundred to make the sale...and offered him 60 day price match

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviguy /forum/post/0

This is a great advice that I'll propably follow myself but I thought that the TV i purchased a few years back was future upgradable because I could just change the video card when a new technology came along. well they don't make video cards for my TV anymore. So I would not count on any TV to be future proof or even upgradable.

While nothing is forever future proof, my suggestion above does not rely on any particular vendor let alone the maker of the display providing any upgrades. It allows any external component containing a video processor that supports HDMI 1.3 or is then backward compatable with that interface or a VGA interface to upgrade the PQ on the display without replacing the display itself.

I do agree that components relying on internal upgrades, such as cards, often are not in fact upgradable because the maker moves on and never provides upgrade cards. I am sorry to hear that happened to you.

Do look into the SI Reon chips and their capabilities. Samsung, Toshiba, and Dennon have already in the market or have announced products with these chips. Many more makers will use these and similar chips in the next few years. The de-interlacing, scaling, and noise reduction algorithms these chips provide are truly amazing.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap /forum/post/0

This, and only this, will provide a long term foundation that will allow future upgrading of the PQ without changing the display as processor technology evolves.

Well, the screen size is open for change I guess

This is a good approach - I especially like the idea of keeping the display as a monitor, then upgrading around it.

Which particular models do you have in mind that will fulfill these requirements? The new Pio's & Panny's?

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:

They also have a 58" Panasonic TH-58PX60UC for $3799.99. Why the BIG jump in price?

Although at first glance the 58" set doesn't sound much bigger than 50" (it's only 8", right?), in terms of picture area it's more than 30% bigger. That makes a huge differnce in impact, especially if you're sitting 18 ft away. IMO, the 58" Panasonic is the best deal for plasmas bigger than 50".

I have the 58PX600U, and really love it. I sit anywhere from 8 ft to 20 ft away.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Costco version. But traditionally Costco's sets are virtually the same as the standard Pannys, just a few minor differences so that they can set their own prices.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerT2 /forum/post/0

Well, the screen size is open for change I guess

This is a good approach - I especially like the idea of keeping the display as a monitor, then upgrading around it.

Which particular models do you have in mind that will fulfill these requirements? The new Pio's & Panny's?

Thanks for the positive comments regarding the approach.

Your point about size is well taken. I see screen size, resolution, viewing distance, and desired viewing angle as a problem to be worked out. I personally want a large viewing angle. Either I sit very close to a smaller screen or a bit further back with a larger screen. Either way, resolution will limit me to how close I can sit for any given screen size and, therefore, limit my viewing angle. The assumption, of course, is that I sit back far enough to eliminate SDE from intruding into the PQ.

While I am sure that resolution will continue to evolve, it seems that 1080p will be a platau for at least a while. Still I can envision 1080p material scaled effectively to 2x that resolution. I also think that 1080p will allow displays in the range of 60-80" to look quite good from a close enough distances to give a satisfyingly wide viewing angle; as I recall, the 70" Qualia looked quite good from 7-8' or so.

I am still trying to learn more about hardware and just where certain logical processing functions are physically carried out along the signal path depending on the signal type and format. I think it is only with this information that I will be able to intelligently configure a system for optimal flexibility and PQ.

I believe that the drive component is integral with the glass component. I guess that if you supply a digital RGB signal to the display and achieve 1:1 mapping, the display will perform the least processing; converting the RGB signal via DACs in the drive component into voltages to drive the sub-pixels. I need to confirm this guess through a better and lower-level understanding of the signal path.

I think the above bypasses color decoding in the display (the signal is already RGB) and so any deep color support would be in the external processor although the drive component would need to be able to deal with the finer gradations of signal accompanying deep color decoding.

Alternatively, a fully processed signal except conversion to RGB could be sent on to the display and color decoded there.

As you can see, there is a lot to consider even if you want to use the display as a "monitor" as the monitor may still do some signal processing.

As far as your question about specific brands, the use of a display as a monitor does raise some interesting questions. That is why I went through my incomplete rambling about signal path above. Let me give you an example. I like NEC primarily because they have the best processing. But as a monitor, certain processing becomes irrelevant as it will be bypassed. So basic glass characteristics along with at least the drive electronics become more important and the color decoder too if you want the display to also perform that function.

Yes I like Pioneer, and NEC, for their single glass pane with a bonded, film, filter layer. It can make a noticable difference in PQ. I also like their variety of picture adjustments, but again some of these adjustments become moot, are bypassed, when the display is used as an RGB monitor.

So I would just love a 60" or better 70" 1080p "new-technology" (such as the announced Pioneer) plasma with rather full HDMI 1.3 support preferably including deep-color support if I were to still use its color decoder.

One more thought. If you take this approach, you need to decide up front whether the display will start out, for some years, as a full display and only years later be upgraded to monitor status via the addition of some improved external processing or whether it will begin life in your system as a monitor, perhaps with an AV receiver having an advanced video processing chip such as the SI Reon/Realta. If the former, then all the display's native processing capabilities remain important for the early years of its use. For now, that would be NEC but who knows what advances other makers will achieve in the next year or two.

Finally, perhaps makers will just incorporate these advanced processing chips directly into the displays obviating the need altogether for external video processing. In this case, an opposite approach is preferable. SDI players, providing a signal as close to that carried on disk and processed the least is sent to the display which performs ALL the processing.

Just more food for thought. It does surprise me somewhat though with all the discussions on this forum about displays and PQ that more attention is not given to signal path considerations and thus coordination among components along that path.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip /forum/post/0

I would reverse that optivity!

I would agree but my eyes are watching to see if Pioneer can pull ahead now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.