AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed my 42" plasma HDTV search to three, the Pioneer PDP-4340HD, the Hitachi 42HDT50, and the Panasonic TH42PX20U....after much thought, I am leaning toward the Pioneer, with Hitachi a close second, followed not too far by Panny...I like the separate A/V centers on the first two, and swivel stands, which the Panny doesnt have...I love the blacks/contrast on the Panny, I love the looks of the Hitachi best, yet the Pioneer's ability to display a billion colors, with an ATSC tuner built in, and detachable speakers (as does the hitachi speakers i think) has me leaning that way over the others...problem is, I have seen the pics for both the Hitachi and Panny on both HDTV and NTSC broadcasts, but I cannot find the Pioneer to look at it firsthand, so I am largely going on cost/features/reviews etc....can anyone give me their guidance?...any input will be appreciated and welcome, and will help me decide for sure...thanks!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I looked at the Fujitsu(30series), Panny(20series) and the Pioneer(5040). Sorry no Hitachi. I think the Pioneer is the best for the money with what you are getting. Pioneer and the Panny are similarly priced with the Pioneer winning out in new technical features that the current Panny does not have.The new Panny 25 series would have them plus some. The Fujitsu street price is $1500 higher than the other two with no tuner, speakers or a stand. The higher price is due to a bigger markup by Fujitsu dealers due to no internet pricing pressures.The Pioneer does not have a built in tuner but rather has a outboard Media box with the tuner. Ironically, when and if I pull the trigger it will be because my Tv's tuner is dying. So, knowing the life span of plasmas, I would stay away from integrated tuners as the tuner would be the first to go. Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ekdo
Ironically, when and if I pull the trigger it will be because my Tv's tuner is dying. So, knowing the life span of plasmas, I would stay away from integrated tuners as the tuner would be the first to go. Something to think about.
Interesting point. I didn't buy my P50 because of this issue, but I do see what you mean. In general, the more ability you have to replace components the better off you are, so using an outboard tuner does give you this ability. However, I personally have never had one burn out on me so I can't say whether this is a concern on not from my experiences.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow...thansk for the input guys...it is helping me...didnt know about the new Pannys...and excellent point about the outboard tuner vs integrated....now I am wondering, should I wait?...seems that technology keeps blazing ahead, and what may seem a good deal now can fade quickly....i have also heard rumors of some new technology combining the best of all worlds that is supposed to one-up plasma or lcd...some kind of combination of technologies...anyone hear about that?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The Pioneer Elite models (910HD, 1110HD) already have 30bit (1 billion) colour. Very impressive. I'm leaning towards the 1110HD myself.

For the less than a billion colour models, the Panasonic has my vote.

As for the "better than plasma and LCD" new technology, it may be the OLED (Organic LEDs):

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30650/article.html

http://www.wave-report.com/tutorials/oled.htm

OLED is likely to be for micro-sized applications only, but who knows?

This article discusses OLED, but also two other "plasma killer" technologies: Engaze liquid crystal on silicon (LCoS) and inorganic electroluminescent (EL).

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,51944,00.asp

You can wait until 2006 or 2007 to get your 50" (insert new technology here) or get your 50" plasma in time for Superbowl XXXVIII.

Reminds me of the observation someone made that the first astronaut to leave for the next star system won't be the first to arrive there; a hundred years after embarking on his thousand year journey, engineers back on earth will launch another astronaut in a spacecraft twice as fast.

Ross in Toronto

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ross in Toronto
The Pioneer Elite models (910HD, 1110HD) already have 30bit (1 billion) colour. Very impressive. I'm leaning towards the 1110HD myself.
Sorry I wasn't too clear.

All the 2003 Panasonic Models have 10 bit 1.070 Billion colors.

TH-37PWD6UY - TH-42PWD6UY - TH-42PHD6UY - TH-50PHD6UY

TH-37PA20U - TH-42PA20U - TH-42PX20U - TH-50PX20U

So do the upcoming "25" Models

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
10 bits x 3 colours = 30 bits... perhaps I'm not using the correct convention for reporting the bit depth of plasma displays. The number of displayable colours is 2 ^ 30 = 1,073,741,824. Graysacle, of course, is achieved by keeping all three colours at the same level, thus there are 10 bits of grayscale or 2 ^ 10 = 1,024 steps.

At the risk of going off topic, I'm not certain which is more important to PQ: # of colours or grayscale levels. I suspect that 24 bit colour (16 million) is plenty, but we need more bits per colour to bring the grayscale count up...?

I vaguely recall something about the HDMI spec allowing for up to 12 bits per colour (an insane 68.7 billion colours, but perhaps more importantly 4096 grayscale levels).

I've seen some of the 10bit per colour Panasonics in the local "hi-end" stores. They're very impressive as well. At some point the PQ for the various models is so good, selecting one over another becomes down to simple personal preference or cost.

Ross in Toronto

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
agreed....Abes of Maine has the Pioneer PDP4340HD for only $4799 delivered, and i saw another post from someone who bought the same plasma from them in Dec 2003 and had no problems...anyone else have issues/experience with them?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up ordering from 5starselectronics.com...already got my UPS tracking number...its on the way!!...I'll update after i get it!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update...according to UPS, my Pioneer is already in Raleigh and scheduled for delivery Monday!!...yeeeehhaaaawww

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I, too, have taken the plunge and yesterday ordered the Pio Elite 1110HD, then proceded to go absolutely bonkers on my Visa and also got a Pioneer Elite 59Avi DVD player, 55Txi receiver, with JM Labs Chorus S 716, 706, 705 and CC700 speakers and a Reel Acoustics sub (the JM Labs sub is a bit ho-hum -- Reel Acoustics, not "real", is a local Toronto company)...

Just this week, DVI / firewire capable high-def set-top boxes just became available for the local Toronto cable system (Scientific Atlanta 3250HD on Rogers cable), so the AV gods are smiling on me.

The whole mess should land on my doorstep late next week or early the week after that. I'll be *just* about as fully digital as I possibly can (other than have an HDMI switching receiver, but the 1110HD's media box has two HDMI inputs -- one for the DVD and one for the high-def box -- using a DVI-to-HDMI cable, of course).

I can hardly wait...

Ross in Toronto

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry i have been late to respond...got my Plasma Wedsnesday, and just set it up today, because I just moved 90 miles away, so I ketp it in the box...beautiful set asthetically, good pic with NTSC signal, outstanding with DVD, has ability to make adjustments that can tone down any "push" etc...very user friendly, very happy!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.