AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been asking around about the Samsung DVD player model HD931 and have been told its not that great of a player. Even with the upconverting. But I was thinking... compared to what? Perhaps it was being compared to higher end players? Anyways, the other player I am looking at is the Pioneer 563AS. A cheaper player, but supports DVD-A and SACD. Which isn't a huge thing with me, but a plus. I am sitting on some DVD-A discs I cannot enjoy. :)

So between the two, which would you choose? Not considering cost.

Also, I will be using this on a Mits 65" model 65313

·
Registered
16,167 Posts
Two new Samsung models with DVI out will be available in a few months, and they both support DVD-A and SACD. If you can wait a few months, that might be the way to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would step it up and go with either the Denon DVD5900 or the Pioneer Elite DV59ai. Those have the best vist video processing and DVI outputs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now, does it still upconvert the picture? I can wait a few months. (I plan to anyways). But what are the price points on these players? My price cap is around $250. I may go a bit more if it has DVI and DVD-A though...

·
Registered
16,167 Posts
The new generation DVI players will be all over the map in price: Toshiba at $199, a Samsung models at $250 and $350 (both with SACD/DVD-A), Panasonic at $299 (with DVD-A), and the very expensive Pioneer Elite/Denon options. We obviously won't know their PQ until they're out. I'm sure there'll be lots of threads on them as they become available. If they really give great HD-like PQ in the $200-400 range, I can't see justifying the very expensive models.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any info availible for the new Samsung players? Such as specs or exact release dates? Ill probably be intersested in the Samsung, especially if its an improvement over thier exsisting player, and adds the audio features.

nick

·
Registered
16,167 Posts
According to Arun's thread from the CES show, the Samsung HD-841 ($250) has DVI, DVD-A, and SACD. The HD-941 ($350) has HDMI, DVD-A, SACD, Faroudja DCDi, additional 1366x768 resolution, and discrete IR. Both models are due out in the 3rd quarter this year. I had considered the current Samsung model, but decided to wait for one of these new generation models. Also, the Toshiba is due out in March, and the Panasonic in April.

·
Registered
16,167 Posts
Note that HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI, so players with either output would work (DVI is video only; HDMI is just DVI with audio; my HDTV has a DVI input, so I could use DVD players with either DVI out [DVI to DVI cable] or HDMI out [HDMI to DVI cable]; with either scenario, I would need separate audio cables).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, 3rd quarter? That changes it up a bit. I pretty much need a player in 2 months. Perhaps I can use my Playstation 2 or something in the meantime. Now I have a question. When a DVD player has DVI, does that mean that it upconverts the picture to 720p, or is that feature independent of DVI?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay... so I work at Best Buy. No im not a drone. (Im not a Video guy though...) Anyways, I checked our inventory, and we have a listing for that Samsung HD-841. The in-stock date is actually today. But they are only estimates... so I imagine we should have it within the next few weeks. We show the normal price at $299 though. No listing for the HD-941 at all though. Perhaps it will be a special order item....

·
Registered
16,167 Posts
Since the Samsung website does not list the new models, I bet we won't see them for a while. Will Best Buy carry the Panasonic DVD-S97 or the Toshiba SD-5960?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will check. Do you know what the price points are? Also, if its a special order item, sometimes it doesnt get put into our system untill the last min. Or if its considered a high end product, sometimes we wont carry it at all.

On another note, after searching the web some, I am begining to doubt a release of the Samsung unit anytime soon. Perhaps whoever was entering the data got it wrong. I'll email the corporate guys tomorrow and see what they say.

·
Registered
16,167 Posts
The Toshiba (w/ HDMI) is supposed to be $199, and the Panasonic (w/ HDMI and DVD-A) $299.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I show the Toshiba unit as well for $199. No sign of the Panasonic though. I also sent an email to find out the expected in stock dates for these players. Ill probably know Monday or Tuesday.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not yet, I got a message that the were looking into it on Tuesday, but I didnt get an answer back before the end of my shift. Hopefully there is one waiting for me tonight.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It seems that the Faroudja DCDI is not active on the DVI out on the Samsung HD 931

According to Secrets the DCDI is NOT active through DVI. On the Secrets site, in their QA section, someone has asked a question about Faroudja, followed by the Secrets answer -

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/qa/qa2004/qa380.html

They particularly say -

"A The Faroudja DCDi processing in the DVD player is done in the digital domain. Then the signal is converted to analog before sending it to the TV via component video connections. The TV will then convert it back to digital for DCDi processing, so it is difficult to say what will happen. If your TV has a DVI input, then get a DVD player with DVI out. The Samsung DVD player does not use DCDi on its DVI output, so the TV would then apply DCDi to the digital signal, and that should work OK. The Samsung player is only $299."

·
Registered
943 Posts
Just a clarification.

The quote from the answer part of that Q&A is a bit confusing with out reading the question and realizing that the inquiry was about a setup with the Sammy HLN TV (that has the Faroudja DCDI) using a Denon DVD player (910) that has the Faroudja chip also and if it's worth having both devices with the DCDi chip and how it would work (i.e. is it worth having it in 2 devices).

So the answer speaks to a different situation than presented and the answer itself seems to move off target by mixing the brand names of the components. Samsung was mentioned as the TV, not the DVD player by the person asking and the answer mentions the Samsung DVD player.

Here's the Question as found on the Secrets Q&A Page that goes with the previously quoted Answer. :)

"The Samsung HLM437W DLP TV includes Faroudja DCDiâ„¢ deinterlacing and 3:2 pull down. I had planned to buy the Denon DVD-910 because it's the least expensive DVD w/Faroudja decoder. But since it is included in the TV, how is the best way to handle this? Will a non Faroudja based DVD player work just as well?"

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.