Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am trying to decide on which receiver to buy for a home theater. Best Buy has the Pioneer VSX-1015TX or the Yamaha HTR-5860BL which are in my price range of $400-$600. The prices are pretty close, but I am not sure which is better for a home theater. I am going to have a front projector system and hook up HDTV to it. One thing I was wondering about is upconversion. There is no HDMI output or DVI output. Is that necessary? Also, can someone tell me the pros and cons of these receivers? I am trying to figure out everything to get the best possible system for my budget.

Any help is appreciated,

ekaplan1020

·
Registered
249 Posts
In that range - you are not going to get HDMI or DVI - yet. Most take the video feed (DVD's, Cable Boxes, etc) directly into the TV - not the receiver. Should not be a huge issue unless you have a need to do video switching from the receiver.

Yamaha or Pioneer??? Having the same debate. I have had a RX series Yamaha for the last 6 years and have never had one problem - a great receiver. I also have a few friends that have the HTR series Yamaha's and they love them.

As to the Pioneer - no direct experience - but looking at the 74TXi.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaplan1020
Hello,

I am trying to decide on which receiver to buy for a home theater. Best Buy has the Pioneer VSX-1015TX or the Yamaha HTR-5860BL which are in my price range of $400-$600. The prices are pretty close, but I am not sure which is better for a home theater. I am going to have a front projector system and hook up HDTV to it. One thing I was wondering about is upconversion. There is no HDMI output or DVI output. Is that necessary? Also, can someone tell me the pros and cons of these receivers? I am trying to figure out everything to get the best possible system for my budget.

Any help is appreciated,

ekaplan1020
In my auditioning of the the Pionner 56txi and the Yamaha v2500, I found the Yamaha to do better for HT (surround processing, various modes) as well as having more inputs (optical, component), however, neither of those models are what you are considering so I suppose it's somewhat moot as I don't know is the same processing characteristics care on down to the mentioned models. I've never heard the 5860, but I did prefer the 56txi and the v2500 over the 1015. Try to listen to any receiver you are buying and try to listen to it/them with the type of material you will be playing the most often.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
The Yamaha and the Pioneer are both very good AVRs ,I think you should try and audition them both and see which one you like, I have an HTR Yamaha 5790 and I like it alot. Lou

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.