AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Check the Best Buy site. On their Receiver page 1, the last two entries are the 1014 and 1012 respectively. The 1012 is THX certified and the 1014 is not. Basically they're pretty much the same, but the 1012 is the better of the two. The 1012 has two DSP processors to the 1014's one plus the 1012 seems to have a few more options.

BB has the 1012 on sale for $200 off which puts it at only $100 more than the 1014. I just noticed this tonight as I was surfing for receivers.

Based on what I saw on the BB site, I would definitly prefer the 1012. With the BB sale price, it's making me dig to see if I can swing it now. Their site says that the 1012 is not available in their stores.

Now I have to decide if I order the VSX-1012 or wait for the Pany SA-XR70 ($200 less MSRP). I have an old (about 10 yrs old) Pioneer VSX-07TX (5.1 ch) which is getting outdated for the newer DVD audio formats. The advantage of the Pioneers is their audio setup and calibration facilities which makes the surround sound setup very easy and accurate. The Pany does not seem to have this capability and I would have to rely on AVIA or DVE setup (don't seem to be as good as the Pioneer built-in version) or the setups on the Star Wars (or equivalent) DVDs.

Hmmmm, it sounds like I just convinced myself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i think there was a thread about this b4, maybe not on this site but somewhere. ALtho i don't remember the differences, I have a 1014 which I got at Best Buy. I went to their site and these are the differences i can see right away. 1012 is more expensive, no idea why... it seems to have one more digital output. No video upconversion, however, which is a major con. its also putting out 10 less watts than the 1014. Bestbuy.com states 100W for the 1014 for some reason, its 110WPC. the remote is also different with a slightly larger lcd screen. the 6 buttons for choosing inputs on the front panel above the volume dial are gone. and the 1012 is heavier somehow ? if 41 lbs. is correct thats about 7-8 lbs. more.

thats what i can tell right away, i'll do a bit more research =) btw the 1014 is THX Select.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
As I said before, the 1012 has 2 DSP processors vs. the 1014s one. There fore, less crosstalk & better stereo separation.

They both have THX Select, but the 1012 is THX certified and the 1014 is not.

The extra weight means bigger transformers and filter capacitors which imply more headroom and better transient performance.

According to BB's specification list, all other specs appear to be identical.

Are those differences worth the extra $100 (BB's sale price)? I think so.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
1012 looks pretty good, doesn't seem to have dpl IIx or video up conversion though...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CT_Wiebe
As I said before, the 1012 has 2 DSP processors vs. the 1014s one. There fore, less crosstalk & better stereo separation.

They both have THX Select, but the 1012 is THX certified and the 1014 is not.

The extra weight means bigger transformers and filter capacitors which imply more headroom and better transient performance.

According to BB's specification list, all other specs appear to be identical.

Are those differences worth the extra $100 (BB's sale price)? I think so.
The 1014 is THX certified. You CAN NOT have a THX Select receiver without being THX certified. The 1012 looks to be a lot like if not the same as last year's 2012 which was only sold through select retailers like Goodguys and a few others. The 2012 from what I have read is basically the same as the ELite VSX-45TX from TWO years ago. It has the Elite build without the Elite tag. I believe this was Pioneer's first attempt to cross-over an elite type receiver to the regular Pioneer line. The original MSRP on the 2012 was $1,200 but they generally sold at around list price of $800 or so. GG recently closed these out a few months back at about $600.

The 1014 is a current year model. 1014TX-K is the real model# and you can confirm these at your local BB shelves. The 1014TX is built on the same line as this year's VSX-52TX, which is one model down from the heritage of the 1012/2012 which is built on a similar chassis as today's 54TX, last year's 53TX and as mentioned before the 43TX/45TX of two years ago.

The 1012 has a lot of features that you may want such as USB Audio, dual processors, etc, but the TWO things it does not have is DPLIIx and video upconversion which the 1014TX has. Both should be good receivers, but as with anything you have to pick the features that are important for your needs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the very helpful replies. Unfortunately, I am now more confused. I was initially thinking of going for the Panasonic SA-XR70 (by the way, Panasonic recently updated their website and posted a price ($399 MSRP) for the XR70 instead of "see your dealer"). The XR-70 has the HDMI input/output, and a smaller form factor. In all other aspects, Pioneer 1012/1014 models seem to have better features.

I am really not interested in video upconversion, so the only other thing that the 1012 is missing which 1014 has is DPIIx?

It is also strange that the silver colored European version of the 1014 is listed as 7x120W. BestBuy says 7x100W and elsewhere it is listed as 7x110W. Is the difference between these power ratings due to the distortion value specified at the maximum power?

I am leaning toward 1014 at this point, but not fully decided yet.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Yung,

Thanks for the info. It's interesting that the specs on BB indicate no up-conversion for either the 1012 or the 1014. I'll look up the 45TX and the 52TX documentation.

Do you know if there are any manuals or other on-line documentation for either the 1012 or the 1014? I am a registered Pioneer user.

That is a real toss up. The 1012, 2 yrs old design w/2 DSP processors; the 1014, new design w/1 DSP and up-conversion; the Pany XR70 digital amp with HDMI (up/down-conversion = ?). All of these are within $200 of each other.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Claus,

I don't think you will be able to find the manual for the 1012/2012 unless you are willing to buy if from Pioneer Parts division. You might want to download the manual for the Elite VSX-45TX which should give you a good indication of its features. As for the 1014TX, Pioneer took it off their website for some reason. However, you might want to do a search in the "Any info on new Pioneer receivers" thread to see if a live link to the manual still exits.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Claus,

I, and several other members here, will tell you that the 45TX is one heck of a receiver. Yeah, it doesnt' have video upconversion or DPLIIx (which may be a nonissue for you), but I tell you what, the amps and processing on that baby are top notch for the price. I've had one running my main system for about 2 yrs. now, and it has never let me down. It's in for the long haul. Heck, if the price is right, I may pick up the 1012 for my 2nd system.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
DJ_JonnyV,

Thanks for the input! Check the Best Buy web site for their "sale" on the 1012 (web only). OOPS, it's no longer on sale (I just checked - it's now $800).

For my budget limitations, it's now a toss-up between the 1014TX ($500) and the Pany XR70 ($400). The up/down-conversion is very handy, but not absolutely necessary. I guess I'll wait until the XR70's are out next month and then make a decision.

·
Registered
576 Posts
 http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...ierPath=79*80*

That's the Costco link. The price is $399 + shipping. Costco is a good place to buy ANYTHING because of their unbeatable return policy. If you aren't a member, it's $35 per year to join. Even if you have to join, you'd still be way ahead BECAUSE

Best Buy has the VSX-1012K for $599 at the link posted below

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....000%2Bcat03030

That means it's still $125 cheaper at Costco (after joining) and there's no way that shipping will cost you that.

NO, I don't work for or have stock in Costco. I have been a member for many years and really believe in the company.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you search in here, you can find a link to a downloadble 1014 Manual. It can be gotten online in the $400 range from numerous retailers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
HI,

I am kinda confused on How many kind of MCACC is there exactly?

there is the manual MCACC, the auto MCACC and the advanced MCACC, what is the difference between them?

I think the 1012 have the auto MCACC and the 1014 have the advanced MCACC? is this correct?

Ed

·
Registered
517 Posts
Differance between 1012 and 1014 are as follows;

1012 has DNR (Digital Noise Reduction), rs259 jack, F & R USB audio jacks, multi room A/V out and bigger capacitors on the amp, 22,000uf vs 15,000uf for the 1014. The 1012 is also fine tuned by Air Studios and has Dual DSP processors vs a single one in the 1014.

1014 does not offer any of the above, but does have pro-logic IIx which alot of folks are raving about, and the ability to upconvert svideo/composite video signals into a single componant out, but at the cost of some picture quality. Despite smaller caps on the amp, its output is rated at 110x7 vs 100x7 for the 1012.

Depending on what your needs are......multi room out and USB audio, then go with the 1012. If Pro-logic IIx and video upconversion are a must for you, then go with the 1014.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.