AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K and my sub only works when the full dolby hd or full dolby 5.1 is in use. When I am in stereo or any of the Dolby pro logic fake surround settings my sub no longer is on at all. I used the auto set up with the mic and did not like the results so I reset the eq and levels on my speakers myself. Everything is working nicely but no sub unless I am watching a dvd, blue ray or hd channels from my cable box. I find this odd, all the other surround speakers work in the other modes just not the sub. My sub is connected to the receiver via the RCA sub out jack. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have two big front stereo speakers, a center, sub, and three small surround speakers in the rear.

My old setup was 6.1 and so I have the middle rear set up the way they said. Not sure about the crossover thing.

I believe I set all the speakers up according to there size correctly.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
"Small" and "Large" speaker settings have absolutely nothing to do with the physical size of the speaker. By your statement I believe that you probably have the the left and right speakers set to "Large". That being the case, in Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 surround sound, the subwoofer will reproduce only the sound from the LFE channel. In stereo or when creating 5.1 from a two-channel source, if you don't have the left and right speakers set to "Small" the sub will not output sound as there is no LFE channel in those formats. A thorough read of your owner's manual is in order with special emphasis on speaker "size" and crossover setting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks bluesky636 I will set them to small and I appreciate the speedy reply. I have read the manual quite a bit but find it a little disjointed and complex. I will give it another run through and look into the crossover section. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18192349

"Small" and "Large" speaker settings have absolutely nothing to do with the physical size of the speaker. By your statement I believe that you probably have the the left and right speakers set to "Large". That being the case, in Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 surround sound, the subwoofer will reproduce only the sound from the LFE channel. In stereo or when creating 5.1 from a two-channel source, if you don't have the left and right speakers set to "Small" the sub will not output sound as there is no LFE channel in those formats. A thorough read of your owner's manual is in order with special emphasis on speaker "size" and crossover setting.

THANK YOU. I posted a problem like McVicks. I set my fronts to small and POOF, the sub fired up! IF only I can figure out how to also get my Center channel to fire up in all modes!

·
Registered
5,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablumny /forum/post/18193384

THANK YOU. I posted a problem like McVicks. I set my fronts to small and POOF, the sub fired up! IF only I can figure out how to also get my Center channel to fire up in all modes!

Read your owner's manual. Make sure the center wasn't inadvertantly set to "phantom". Center channel use depends on the mode in use.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18194772

Read your owner's manual. Make sure the center wasn't inadvertantly set to "phantom". Center channel use depends on the mode in use.

McVick, I didnt mean to hijack your thread! SORRY.

bluesky636: Thanks for the advice. Ive been through my manual front and back, theres nothing about phantom mode. I did a search for "Center Channel" in my PDF version, reviewed all settings in the manual. I can adjust things liek standing wave and size of center speaker (set to small). Center Image and Center Width are adjustments but are not available for some reason.

Interesting, the speaker configuration lights on the receiver say the center is on, when its not. THe Center works with Bluray and certain HD channels from my HD DVR.

frustrating. thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
850 Posts
@ablumny: Turn on Dialog Enhancement from the Audio Parameters menu. Also, you could increase the level of the center channel (For channel level, press "Receiver" then "0" on the remote)

@McVick: As bluesky mentioned, set all speakers to SMALL if you want your Sub to fire up. If you want artificial double bass from the fronts and the Sub at the same time, set the Sub setting to PLUS. Although this setting can also decrease bass according to Sub placement.

All these things are given in the manual. It is a bit frustrating. I would advise you to download the pdf version of the manual from the Pioneer support pages. Finding things there is a breeze.

Hope this post helps both of you.

BTW, there is an Official Pioneer VSX-1019AH Owner's Thread here .

·
Registered
5,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablumny /forum/post/18195571

McVick, I didnt mean to hijack your thread! SORRY.

bluesky636: Thanks for the advice. Ive been through my manual front and back, theres nothing about phantom mode. I did a search for "Center Channel" in my PDF version, reviewed all settings in the manual. I can adjust things liek standing wave and size of center speaker (set to small). Center Image and Center Width are adjustments but are not available for some reason.

Interesting, the speaker configuration lights on the receiver say the center is on, when its not. THe Center works with Bluray and certain HD channels from my HD DVR.

frustrating. thanks for the advice.

Phantom mode means no center channel speaker. It usually appears in a speaker setup menu as "Large/Small/None" or something similar. Make sure the center is set to small. The center is only going to work in a discrete digital 5.1/7.1 mode or when using something like DPL IIX.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhh my skies are blue again!! Or in other words my sub now works all the time. Thanks Bluesky!! And zervinb, I did download the pdf version of the manual a while ago and it is easier to read but still a bit daunting, and thanks for the tip on the double bass I want to check that out. Believe it or not I am a recording engineer of many years and love to read manuals but these receivers have so many settings it is a bit much for my old brain so after a while one needs to take a break and ask for help.

I also have a Pioneer KRP-500M monitor / tv and PS3. Combined with my new receiver I am very happy with the setup except for the remote has no back lighting and is very hard to read even when the room lights are on. Incredible picture and now great sound as well.

When hearing a blue ray for the first time "Star Trek" I was blown away by the improvement in the sound compared to my old amp and dvd audio. I think the receiver was a great purchase for the price.

Thanks again for the help and to albumny no need to say your sorry glad we got the help we needed.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McVick /forum/post/18197703

and thanks for the tip on the double bass I want to check that out.

Don't waste your time. All it does is result in muddy bass as there is no easy way to balance the sub and main speakers. You are better off with how you have things set up now.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18196570

Phantom mode means no center channel speaker. It usually appears in a speaker setup menu as "Large/Small/None" or something similar. Make sure the center is set to small. The center is only going to work in a discrete digital 5.1/7.1 mode or when using something like DPL IIX.

Thanks for the additional advice. I got the center working more consistently but overall the system lacks the punch it had in its former home. Im going to seek out a local AV expert to come in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts