AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the fence between these two receivers.

A salesperson at BB told me today that I would be better off getting the Elite for a bit more money. He said the Audio Processor on the Elite is better for clearer audio quality, plus you get the two year warranty. He said he picked up the Elite for himself and he is very happy.

Here are the specs for both of these.

VSX-1019AH-K:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...H-K.Kuro?tab=B

VSX-21TXH
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...TXH.Kuro?tab=B

Thanks for the help, its much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
kpf

I'm not a Pioneer fan but after I returned the Yamaha 665 I picked up first and payed the extra for the VSX-21TXH I am very happy on the sound quality. For the price and 2year warranty. I let my friends hear the demo I had and they where very impressed. Friends have over 8k on there A/V.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I think you are getting a lot more for your money with the 21. Even though they look similar from the front, the Elite is several inches deeper an 10lbs heavier. Either there is a lead weight in there or I hope better parts as I await a 23 I have on order.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you can swing the cash, go for the Elite. This is the unit I'm looking at now as I just sold my 45TX Elite which was a Solid performer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also very interested and I just auditioned both of them... In spite of all the logic (and hype) that would say Elite is the better receiver I couldn't hear any difference in audio quality after A-B'ing them (with a DT Mythos ST 5.1 setup)!

Btw, after an hour of intensive listening they both sounded superb.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think quite possibly they could have similar acoustic properties. But, you are getting more features with the Elite, plus the 2 year warranty, plus it says "Elite" on the front!

I read on another forum post that even though they are rated almost the same in power, that the Elite is with all channels driven and the 1019 is with just two channels. Also, as the other poster pointed out, the Elite is 10 lbs heavier, so I'm sure there's quite a bit of internal difference in there somewhere.... from what I've read, the Elites are more solidly built.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpf /forum/post/16949750

I am on the fence between these two receivers.

A salesperson at BB told me today that I would be better off getting the Elite for a bit more money. He said the Audio Processor on the Elite is better for clearer audio quality, plus you get the two year warranty. He said he picked up the Elite for himself and he is very happy.

Don't take the well-meaning, speaking to fill empty conversational space BB guy too seriously. He may actually believe everything he said, but you shouldn't. The Elite won't provide you with any clearer audio quality. If you want an extra year on the warranty then it's worth considering. Beyond that, for 90% of the A/V populace, the 1019 will provide as much performance as you'll ever need.

Whether or not you're in that last 10% depends upon everything you haven't told us in your post; speakers, room size, how many zones you need, how many components now or expected within the forseeable future, etc., etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased mine and I had the same question, whether to go for VSX-21TXH or VSX-1019AH or even Denon 1910. I eneded up buying VSX-21TXH. One thing for sure, 21 has the best video up conversion with Anchor Bay DSP processor. Also I am very much happy with the sounds quality, I couldn't make much difference between the three. Apart from that 2 year warrany doesn make a big difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny.death /forum/post/17187916

I think quite possibly they could have similar acoustic properties. But, you are getting more features with the Elite, plus the 2 year warranty, plus it says "Elite" on the front!

I read on another forum post that even though they are rated almost the same in power, that the Elite is with all channels driven and the 1019 is with just two channels. Also, as the other poster pointed out, the Elite is 10 lbs heavier, so I'm sure there's quite a bit of internal difference in there somewhere.... from what I've read, the Elites are more solidly built.

What and where is this power rating located in the specs so I know what to look for?

For those of you who own this unit, could you tell me does the GUI run from the HDMI output and if so how does the reciever show the GUI and run 2ch audio if you are using the Ipod cable and the GUI for the artwork?

·
Registered
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluwatcher /forum/post/17355235

What and where is this power rating located in the specs so I know what to look for?

For those of you who own this unit, could you tell me does the GUI run from the HDMI output and if so how does the reciever show the GUI and run 2ch audio if you are using the Ipod cable and the GUI for the artwork?

The specs are located on the Pioneer website. Also, Google is your friend here, search for keywords like the model number and "specifications" or "watts", etc. Never underestimate the power of Google.

The manual, which is available on Pioneer's website will answer your question about the GUI displaying on HDMI. The answer is yes, but my point is that you might want to do some of your own research before asking questions like that. Even a quick look at CNET or Pioneer's website could tell you that.

The second part of your questions isn't very clearly written, and so it's hard to understand what you mean. But, I think if you look at the Pio website or a review you could find the answer you seek. My guess is that you're asking if the GUI shows artwork while playing music, which it does:
Quote:
The Elite VSX-21TXH is also Works with iPhone certified, so you can enjoy your favorite songs or downloaded video on your larger system. Easily connect your iPhone to the front USB input with the included cable, and start navigating your playlists with the new graphical user interface with on-screen album art (when available).

from the Pio site .

I hope that helped, and good luck!

·
Registered
608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxims /forum/post/17354845

I recently purchased mine and I had the same question, whether to go for VSX-21TXH or VSX-1019AH or even Denon 1910. I eneded up buying VSX-21TXH. One thing for sure, 21 has the best video up conversion with Anchor Bay DSP processor. Also I am very much happy with the sounds quality, I couldn't make much difference between the three. Apart from that 2 year warrany doesn make a big difference.

the 1019 also has the Anchor Bay chip in it.

the 21TXH has THX® Select2 PLUS but I doubt you would use it anyways. Also I think the Elites have preouts... but I wouldnt use them anyways.

The Elite DOES say ELITE in gold... and for that and 2 years warranty.. I just may pay the extra cash

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
I think that is pretty weak of Pioneer to only give a 1 year warranty on their standard receivers anyway. HK comes with 2 years, so does Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha.

I would get the Elite over the standard Pioneer because of the warranty, preouts, extra 10 lbs, THX Select, 12V trigger, extra optical input, detached power cord, RS 232 serial port, and even the s-video inputs. I like having all those extra features for only a few dollars more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am currently looking at these exact two receivers. I'm looking at an online purchase because nobody near me carries the Elite (but I want an authorized dealer so I'm looking at 6ave maybe).

It seems like most of you have voted for the Elite ... do you know if that one comes with the set-up mic for easy calibration? The website is unclear.

I'm not an audiophile per se, but I love great sound. I'll use my receiver primarily for movies and games (both via my PS3) and tv (Dish HD receiver), all using HDMI. But I also watch videos and listen to mp3s from my laptop a lot, and am wondering how these receivers might handle the audio from my laptop (digital optical).

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
^ thanks!

So do you guys like these Pioneers for someone with primarily movies/tv/games/music-via-iPhone or computer?? $500 is about my budget, as i'm wanting to buy a nice sub soon as well.

The only criticisms I've heard of these is that some cd-listening audiophiles don't think the sound is as good for music as it is for movies--that's okay with me, though. I'd like top-quality for movies, etc. and good for music but top-quality is not neccesary.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
Go for the Elite. Below is a true test report on the 1019. Rated at 120 watts/channel with 1 channel driven. Test show that to be actually 90 watts with 1 channel driven. With 5 channels driven that goes down to 28.7 watts. Wonder what that 10 lb weight loss comes down to. Wonder what it drops to when you use all 7 channels. The Elite is worth the difference.

http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/...h_av_receiver/

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/17628517

Go for the Elite. Below is a true test report on the 1019. Rated at 120 watts/channel with 1 channel driven. Test show that to be actually 90 watts with 1 channel driven. With 5 channels driven that goes down to 28.7 watts. Wonder what that 10 lb weight loss comes down to. Wonder what it drops to when you use all 7 channels. The Elite is worth the difference.

AWESOME! This is exactly what I needed to find. Thanks, bro.

Elite it is! I'll probably go with the VSX-21TXH, it's $499 at 6ave, but they're out of stock for a few weeks it looks like. Unless I can find it an another authorized dealer, I'll just wait because that seems like a good price.

Now it's time to hunt down a good subwoofer!

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njstone /forum/post/17628615

AWESOME! This is exactly what I needed to find. Thanks, bro.

Elite it is! I'll probably go with the VSX-21TXH, it's $499 at 6ave, but they're out of stock for a few weeks it looks like. Unless I can find it an another authorized dealer, I'll just wait because that seems like a good price.

Now it's time to hunt down a good subwoofer!

Go to SVS for your sub needs. HSU, Velodyne are also good ones to buy. Hop over to the speakers and sub thread. Lots of good suggestions there. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts