1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Pioneer VSX 1020 receiver in the following configuration:

Blue ray 3D player hooked to the HDMI BD input

Direct TV receiver hooked to HDMI 2 on Samsung TV with optical out hooked to opt 1 on the receiver

Xbox 360 hooked to HDMI 1 input on receiver

Sony PS3 hooked to HDMI 2 input on receiver

I have audio selected to auto

The issue is no matter what source I'm using it does seem to detect the proper audio format.

For example when I play a movie on PS3 with dolby digital the receiver displays PCM shouldn't it say dolby digital.

Probably a simple problem but I'm new to this

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
For example when I play a movie on PS3 with dolby digital the receiver displays PCM shouldn't it say dolby digital.

It is possible that the PS3 is set to decode DD/DTS and send PCM -- set it to bitstream. However, note that older non-slim PS3s cannot bitstream HD audio from blurays.

Quote:
Direct TV receiver hooked to HDMI 2 on Samsung TV with optical out hooked to opt 1 on the receiver

Usually the optical out from the TV is limited to stereo (no surround) except when you are using its internal tuner. You should connect the Direct TV directly to the receiver either through HDMI or optical.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Hoe /forum/post/19635908

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmc /forum/post/19636006

However, note that older non-slim PS3s cannot bitstream HD audio from blurays.

"Why doesn't my AVR display DTS-HD Master Audio when connected to my PS3?" (or some variation) is possibly the most commonly asked question in this forum, definitely the most annoying question.

Can we please get a sticky thread for this question, answer, and explanation? That way we will not have to repeat it 10 times per week. We can just say, "Read the sticky." I would more than willing to write the sticky.

AJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.