AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a VSX 1020 K and I'm having video issues. For whatever reason, using the HDMI out connection, I cannot get any video to display on my TV. I have a Toshiba 46H84 HDTV (1080i) that is not displaying any video from any type of HDMI input. I have double checked that everything is connected correctly, set up the receiver settings correctly, tried to turn on my components every which way to eliminate HDCP handshake issues and still no luck via HDMI. I only see video using component or lesser hookups. I used to have a VSX 920 that could display video via HDMI out on my TV, but I'm having no luck on the VSX 1020. Can anyone suggest anything else? Audio is no problem as I can hear all audio imput via HDMI. I have all my system connected via high speed HDMI 1.4, exactly as I had it before when using the VSX 920. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

ensure that you do not have the avr set to output a resolution that the tv will not accept...

also, there's an owners thread for the unit...
help can often be found there...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried both of those. No matter what resolution I set, nothing displays on my tv. Also, I posted on the official owners thread but no one is offering any help. The only helpful thing I read there is that someone is on their 3rd receiver from

Amazon for the same kind of issue. He thinks that they could have gotten a bad batch, but who's to know really.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In regards to my previous post regarding the 1020 that i bought through Amazon, the one that was not passing through the video signal via HDMI, I can confirm that it is NOT defective. Apparently, it's my TV that can not handle the HDMI video signal. I just hooked up a projector to it, and it had no problem displaying the video signal from the HDMI out on the 1020. So it looks like I'll have to connect both component and HDMI cables, which is what I wanted to avoid. Oh well

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

change the hdmi output resolution to something your tv CAN accept...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had already tried all that. No matter what resolution I set on the receiver, my TV just doesn't want to display the video signal. I have no idea what the problem is. My guess is that my TV doesn't like what the 1020 does to the HDMI signal because if the Blu ray, satellite, or Apple TV is connected directly to it, it will display video with no issues.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

could be one of a couple things then...

1) the tv won't recognize a repeater as a source...

2) another setting somewhere...

3) hmm... a couple other things, i suppose...

at least you've got it working...

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am in a process of exchanging my Onkyo 5008 for a similar issue. I would not get any video, only sound on any HDMI source. I would only get it to partially work when I set it to 480p. When I disabled the video processor on the receiver, everything worked fine. I tried different HDMI cables, different hdmi out ports on the receiver and different ports on my tv. If i get the second receiver and the same problem, it would have to be a communication issue between the tv and the receiver when the receiver's video processor is on.

I'm not sure if the Pioneer has this feature, but try turning off the video processor on the receiver. It should give a big clue if it is a compatibility issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well this is disappointing. I just got the 1020 & having the same kind of issue. My TV Mitsubishi has DVI. I have a cable that crosses HDMI to DVI. It works fine on two other units I had. One was another pioneer 520 & a yamaha. I used the hdmi on there & it worked fine. So I got this unit & dont get audio or video. I get it through component. I tested the hdmi on my samsung tv which it worked all fine. Pioneer tech support is a joke. I made all kinds of changes in the settings. Nothing works. So, I feel you brother. I dont know what it is. Sucks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts