AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on which is ultimately the better of the two - Amazon's taking pre-orders on both receivers ($550 for the Pioneer 1020, $500 for the Onkyo 608). I'm torn between the 2 and want to get something that's relatively future-proof.

I have a 5.1 set-up at present, just returned the Pioneer 1019 as I thought (hopefully correctly!) that either of these would be better. The receiver will be hooked up to a Blu-Ray, Cable DVR box and TV - I like the idea of internet connectivity (listen to Pandora a lot), iPod connectivity (for background music). Not that fussed about bluetooth connectivity (gimmicky) or iPhoe apps (again gimmicky as it doesn't turn the phone into a universal remote - so what's the real point).

I'm trying to get the best bang from my bucks - loathed to go over $550 and can't get the Pioneer 1120 as my shelving doesn't have the necessary depth (I know - not a good thing!).

Any suggestions here? Is there also another Receiver to consider?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I'd go with the Onkyo for two reasons. It has a higher power consumption so it will have more power and I prefer Audyssey to MCACC.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also didn't like the GUI on the Pioneer 1019 - has it changed for the 1020? It looks like the Onkyo GUI is a lot more user-friendly.

·
Registered
348 Posts
OOO! I love this thread! I'm debating the same thing... the pre-order @ J&R is at a smoking price...

CNET loves the Pioneer

Probably can't go wrong either way

Right now I'm researching the difference between the Pioneer MCACC vs Onkyo Audyssey 2 EQ system

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just switched my Amazon Pre-order from Pioneer 1020 to 608. Only hope it lasts longer than my 805. Saving $130 made the difference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm also thinking of going with the 608 - there very similar receivers (in terms of what I need) but I like the extra power consumption of the 608 and the better GUI. The only downside for me is that the $130 savings in going with the 608 gets eaten when I also have to buy an iPod docking station (one of the pro's to the Pioneer 1019).

·
Registered
348 Posts

neilcrumpton;18340071 The only downside for me is that the $130 savings in going with the 608 gets eaten when I also have to buy an iPod docking station (one of the pro's to the Pioneer 1019).[/QUOTE said:
I LOVE not being a slave to the Apple corporation! The dock won't work with my very old Ipod & I won't be buying an Ipod again so no issue for me...

I'll be using a 6' cord at Radioshack & going that route for MP3s... OR computer with HDMI vs. dock

If you do have an Iphone I would definitely buy the Pioneer instead to use the App for the EQ & the dock (Pretty cool)

Other than that the EQ is close to equal per the research... I'm still leaning 95% Onkyo... I read the ENTIRE 607 thread & if you properly ventilate, don't run the thing all day long & know how to use the unit you'll be fine.

Why are you going Amazon vs JR?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaman4u2 /forum/post/18340805

I LOVE not being a slave to the Apple corporation! The dock won't work with my very old Ipod & I won't be buying an Ipod again so no issue for me

If you do have an Iphone I would definitely buy the Pioneer instead to use the App for the EQ & the dock (Pretty cool)

Other than that the EQ is close to equal per the research... I'm still leaning 95% Onkyo... I read the ENTIRE 607 thread & if you properly ventilate, don't run the thing all day long & know how to use the unit you'll be fine.

Why are you going Amazon vs JR?

I was going with Amazon for the Pioneer 1020 as I have Amazon Prime - for the Onkyo, it's a no-brainer IMHO to go via J&R given the price difference.

Am I missing something with Pioneer's iPhone app? It's kinda cool but I don't think it's something I will use that often (good for initial setup only?) - it won't make the iPhone into a universal remote, so I don't personally see the point beyond helping with the setup. I don't need oit if it's just going to control the volume after the initial setup.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilcrumpton /forum/post/18340940

Am I missing something with Pioneer's iPhone app? It's kinda cool but I don't think it's something I will use that often (good for initial setup only?) - it won't make the iPhone into a universal remote, so I don't personally see the point beyond helping with the setup. I don't need oit if it's just going to control the volume after the initial setup.

You're right Neil, its more of a WOW factor that functionally useful...

Lets face it, Wireless communication between a laptop & the AVR is coming with the new multimedia boxes (See the CES 2010 on Cnet)... Going over to your Ipod to change songs is going to be outdated very soon.

I plan on getting one of these boxes & networking not only music but streaming video\\pics & other computer signals in 1080p.

Think Apple TV vs using a dock... Especially considering a stupid dock is so expensive... put that money into that.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm2006 /forum/post/18351780

Any idea when the TX-SR608 will be released?

Preorder now! arrive probably 2 weeks... check the owners forum as I'll post there when I get it

·
Registered
177 Posts
What are the big differences between the 2? I have an iphone but i dont care about hooking it up to the receiver. WHich 1 is going to give better sound quality for movies, sports, and games? That is what i care about

·
Registered
348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag2 /forum/post/18361898

What are the big differences between the 2? I have an iphone but i dont care about hooking it up to the receiver. WHich 1 is going to give better sound quality for movies, sports, and games? That is what i care about

Thats SO hard to say... room dynamics, speaker matching, speaker placement & personal preference make that a tough call. Go to Best buy & put the same speakers through both receivers & see, its really easy to do in the Magnolia section. Its really the only way to know

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilcrumpton /forum/post/18293349

I also didn't like the GUI on the Pioneer 1019 - has it changed for the 1020? It looks like the Onkyo GUI is a lot more user-friendly.

Aside from being more user friendly the 608 GUI is transparent. The video you may be watching is still visible in the background while you are tweaking your setup parameters.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaden /forum/post/18371526

The kicker is the Onkyo is $100 to $150 cheaper.

I can't help but think that the 608 is a better receiver of the two, regardless of price. I personally don't see the point of the gimmicky iPhone app (not something that will be used that often) and, for my needs (with an older laptop), prefer the PC port to an ethernet port.

My only sorrow is that I don''t have the time to wait for the 708 - it may even come in at the same price-point (if it also gets all the pre-order discounts) as the 1020 and should be a far better receiver, based on upgraded 707 specs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I agree, judging by the 608 the 708 should be massive... I was just notified today of a further backorder by J&R... they offered to sell the 607 instead... No thanks! I'll wait!

·
Registered
938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilcrumpton /forum/post/18371944

My only sorrow is that I don''t have the time to wait for the 708 - it may even come in at the same price-point (if it also gets all the pre-order discounts) as the 1020 and should be a far better receiver, based on upgraded 707 specs.

Not to hijack a thread about the 608 v 1020, but since you mention the 708.....Don't forget, Pioneer already announced the 1120, which is a step up and would likely compete toe to toe with the 708. So I wouldn't compare the 1020 to the 708, I'd compare the 1120 to the yet to be announced 708 to make an apples to apples comparison. The 1120 seems to have all the features (and more) of the entry level Elite line from last year (VSX-21TXH). Some forums are saying they may make the Elite line more "Elite" and only include the Pioneer ICE amps in the Elite line, thereby getting rid of the 2 VSX models in the Elite lineup, and moving them down to the regular line up. Likely this could give you real value because you are getting the features, but not paying for the Elite name (again, this is speculation on my end)

The pre-order price on Amazon for the 1120 is $749 I believe. According to CNET, the 1120 will gain the following features:
  • Marvell Qdeo video processing (step up from Anchor Bay)
  • PC control
  • Multichannel PQLS
  • RS-232 port

Since this unit is supposed to be released in April (according to CNET) you may not have to wait as long for a system with some more features, etc.

I am in the market for a new receiver over the next few months, and I am pretty much looking for the 608/708 or 1020/1120, so interested to see the price points, yet-to-be-released features on the 708 and how it compares to the 1120, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
personally if i was going for a new 2010 model onkyo I'd wait and see what's comin out, personally looking at the 608 it closely resembles the 606 with upgraded gui and hdmi 1.4, I'd wait for the 708/808/908 before contemplating buying a new avr

1 - 20 of 261 Posts