AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

First time poster and wanted to see if I could get any help/direction on how to solve my issue.

I have a Pioneer VSX-1021-K receiver that is running my basement theater setup and overhead bar speakers (2). I have the theater area which is 5.1 and the bar area is using speaker B terminals so I can turn switch those speakers on/off when we are at the bar. This is perfect and I'd like to keep this setup for the basement.

Last night, I installed two outdoor speakers in the surround back/zone 2 terminals thinking I could have my deck as a Zone 2. However, I have been unsuccessful getting any sound to come out and I can't switch Zone 2's input to HDMI (I want to Airplay off my AppleTV from the deck). Is this receiver capable of this setup? Why does Zone 2 not have the HDMI input? Do I need to upgrade the software as I sometimes get a 'UE33' code?

Lastly, switching my manual speaker setup from 'Speaker B' to a different setting that allows the SB/Zone 2 speakers available (still no sound however) I lose my bar speakers (speaker B). I didn't see any manual speaker settings that allow SB/Zone 2 with Speaker B. Plus adjusting those settings sometimes skips over modifying the speakers–typically is just the position of the SB/Zone 2 speakers in the 7.1 setup.

Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
vsx-1021 has 7 amps for 7 channels, so if you already used 7 speakers with your current setup on main zone, you won't be able to use zone 2 without losing 2 channels. You can try to use line out for zone 2. Speaker B and Surround Back channels share only 2 amps, so either get Surround Back or Speaker B but not both.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
In addition, on most receivers the Zone 2 can only play analog sources, i.e. red red & white rca jacks, not digital (HDMI, toslink, coax).
Some receivers have a party mode where a digital source in the main zone can go to Zone 2.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
laceyboy & rmjb, thanks for your responses! I talked to Pioneer support about an hour ago and he basically explained the exact same thing. Makes a lot of sense as the receiver is 7.1 (can only play a max of 7 speakers at once) and Zone 2 only has analog output. Learn something new everyday!

He recommend getting a speaker selector switch for my Speaker B channel which will give me the desired setup. So I can keep the digital inputs and use Airplay to control the music while we're out on the deck.

Here's the switch I ended up getting if someone else comes across the same problem:

Monoprice 109995 4-Channel Speaker Selector (can't post a link - not enough rep)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts