AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Pioneer 1120 and was thinking about using Emotiva ERD-1s for the surrounds. But those speakers are 4ohm and I'm afraid they will either hurt the receiver or it won't sound great.

BTW, I'm looking at Polk Monitor 70 Series II and a Polk CS2 Series II to round out the set. Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I have the exact setup you've listed. As I said in the other thread, and via PM, the 1120 doesn't even break a sweat when pushing ERD-1 surrounds. There are other owners who have also run the same setup without issue, and there have not been any reported cases of the 1120/ERD combo giving anyone trouble.

My 1120 never even got warm to the touch, even when it was cranked in EXT STEREO mode (all channels outputting music simultaneously).

The only reason I eventually added an amp -- after three months without one -- is because I wanted to quadruple the wattage and really "bring the life out of my setup."

But, again, the 1120 has no problem handling the ERD-1 surrounds; and, you'll be hard-pressed to find bipole/dipole surrounds that sound as nice as the ERD-1s at even twice their price.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse
My 1120 never even got warm to the touch, even when it was cranked in EXT STEREO mode (all channels outputting music simultaneously).
That is strange. Mine gets warm (mainly in one area, rear left area) and I use the preouts! I use MCACC and also process down to stereo output (2.1 system). No video, just basically using it as an audio processor. Completely in the open and everything. I understand warm is ok, its not hot, but i just find it strange most people say this is one of the cooler running AVR's they've had, but mine get warm so easily. Probably slightly warmer than my Denon 1909 pushing a 7.1 setup with roughly 1" clearance above it.

Do you use MCACC, palehorse?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac
That is strange. Mine gets warm (mainly in one area, rear left area) and I use the preouts! I use MCACC and also process down to stereo output (2.1 system). No video, just basically using it as an audio processor. Completely in the open and everything. I understand warm is ok, its not hot, but i just find it strange most people say this is one of the cooler running AVR's they've had, but mine get warm so easily. Probably slightly warmer than my Denon 1909 pushing a 7.1 setup with roughly 1" clearance above it.

Do you use MCACC, palehorse?
Yeah, I run MCACC. Maybe I missed the one spot where it gets warm, but I did feel for heat quite often after installing the ERDs (I think I may have been the first to try that combo), and I never noticed an increase in heat in my testing.

For what it's worth, adding an amp didn't increase/decrease the heat either.

More importantly, the ERDs never clipped or sent the 1120 into thermal-protect mode, even when they were cranked way up.

The 1120 held up just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.