AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm really hoping that this is a simple fix, but i haven't had any luck so far. I have an N64 hooked up through the DVD composite input, thinking that this should be a pretty easy setup. I have the input select to DVD, video converter is turned on, and component video is turned off in the input settings. I called Pioneer and he had no idea what else to do either. I have a cable box run through composite video that works fine, and if I just change the plugs, all else equal, the cable box works and the N64 still doesn't.

Is there something I'm overlooking here, or is the N64 too old to be compatible with with the receiver?

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
It should work the same. Are you sure the N64 composite cables are good? Test them by going straight to a tv and make sure they work. Otherwise, I believe there's a little switch on the base of the cables where they plug into the Nintendo. It might need to be set to "channel 3" in order to run through the receiver.

I don't think all composite cables had the switch. But, I had a few different brands and one of them had a switch.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a Pioneer SC-1222K, and while I haven't tried my N64 through it, I did try my old NES, and it would flicker like mad and was just unusable. I'm assuming it's due to the non-standard "240P" output it uses not agreeing with the video scaler chip in the receiver. The same NES works perfectly fine going direct to the TV using the same composite cable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a switch on my AV cord, and I tested my N64 on my friends TV and it worked fine. Its most likely the lack of support if its 240p, if that is the Nintendo resolution. The lowest the reciever claims to support is 480p. My TV is fairly new and doesn't have composite inputs. Looks like I'll be upgrading something...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
That's really odd. My NES runs through my Pioneer Elite SC-35 via composite without issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.