AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased some new speakers from elemental designs - the a6.mtm and a6.t for center and L/R respectively. These speakers are 6 ohm speakers, the center has two 6.5 inch woofers and a tweeter. The towers are crossed 3 ways with three 6.5 woofers (1 for midbass and 2 for midrange) and a tweeter. I am now in the market for a new receiver as I'm using an old yamaha from an HTIB. I have enjoyed my old receiver, but I'd like to pass it off to my brother. I also plan on buying a power amplifier, but I do not yet know when. That being said, I feel as though the separate amp is a longer term investment than the receiver - the rate of change in technology is not as rapid as that in the AV receiver industry (correct me if I'm gravely mistaken).

My one major concern in the receiver is great sound quality. I realize that the amplifier in the Yamaha is going to be better than that of the Pioneer (and hence the Yamah will sound better without an external amp), but how will they stack up when I add an external amp?

The video processing is a minor concern since I will not use the upscaling much. In addition, the 12Volt trigger on the Yamha is nice, but I have to get up to turn my subwoofer on, and turning on my future power amp will only take a few more steps, therefore it will not save me much effort.

Internet connectivity doesn't matter - I have a ps3 and will use that for any music streaming.

The pioneer is currently ~45 cheaper than the yamaha, but could fall even more in price. Anxiously awaiting your responses.

-Ben

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I don't know where you got the idea that the Yamaha would "sound better" than the 1120... that's simply not accurate; or, rather, it's entirely subjective.

I also suggest using a smart power strip for the subwoofer and any other device that you only use when the receiver is powered on (including an external amp via power adapter trigger if you go with the 1120). It beats the heck out of having to turn devices on manually...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply palehorse. I got the idea based on the wattage ratings and power supplies of the two units. To me it seemed obvious that the heavier and higher Wattage rated Yamaha would be able to drive 55 lb towers better. I'm not saying the Yamaha sound is better than the Pioneer sound, simply their driving capacity and that translating into dynamic range, distortion etc..

Thanks for the power strip suggestion. I've considered it and I'm planning on buying one in the future?

Palehorse do you or anyone else have more comments as to how the Yamaha would sound compared to the Pioneer?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbboy /forum/post/0

Thanks for the reply palehorse. I got the idea based on the wattage ratings and power supplies of the two units. To me it seemed obvious that the heavier and higher Wattage rated Yamaha would be able to drive 55 lb towers better. I'm not saying the Yamaha sound is better than the Pioneer sound, simply their driving capacity and that translating into dynamic range, distortion etc..

Thanks for the power strip suggestion. I've considered it and I'm planning on buying one in the future?

Palehorse do you or anyone else have more comments as to how the Yamaha would sound compared to the Pioneer?

Thanks again

Without or without the external amp, they'd sound 100% identical IF they're each calibrated properly. Without the external amp, their slight difference in wattage would not be detectable by human ears.

Pick one based on other factors besides power, especially if you're considering an external amp as well.

I auditioned a Yamaha in my house before buying the 1120. Obviously, I preferred the 1120 -- but mostly because I got better INITIAL results using advanced MCACC vs the Yammie's YPAO, and because I wanted the better video processing for my SD sources.

I added a UPA-7 to the mix and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Elemental Design speakers are easy to drive anyways. I have the towers and large matching center with 4 smaller bookshelves for a 7.1. My Denon 1909 drives them easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts