AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
I had a 765 and was never really able to get the sound that I wanted. I picked up a Pioneer VSX-9040THX (21 Elite equivalent) and promptly sold the 765.

The both have their quirks, but to me the Pioneer has a MUCH better sound.

· Registered
269 Posts
Do not know anything about a Pioneer. Have never owned one. I was always Onkyo until my 606 died. I decide to go Yamaha and got the 765. I let YPAO do the set up and done some tweaking and watched Hellboy 2 last night. It is done in 7:1 HD Master and it sounded fantastic. This is my first Yammy and I would say you would not go wrong in picking this receiver. I just became a Yamaha fan. I have also read in these forums that Pioneer also are good receivers. I am sure can't go wrong with either.

· Registered
186 Posts
At $599, you can get the RX-V1065 if you watch the Newegg sales. Meantime, check the VSX-21/23THX thread here. Some are having power button issues that Pioneer either can't or won't fix. Additionally, Pioneer Elite equipment isn't factory warrantied if you buy via the internet.

I went with the 1065 over the 23THX to replace my broken Onk 606 for the above reasons, plus I auditioned the Yammy with the speakers I have at home and it was the best sounding of several competitive receivers.

· Registered
689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx /forum/post/18120273

Which is a better deal at $ 599 ?

Based on MSRP, that makes the Pioneer a better deal but as someone pointed out, at that price, it probably doesn't have a Pioneer factory warranty. You should check the manufacturer website for the list of authorized dealers before purchasing something that is advertised at below MSRP. Most of the time (excluding Newegg sales), it's because they aren't an authorized dealer.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil /forum/post/18123342

Based on MSRP, that makes the Pioneer a better deal but as someone pointed out, at that price, it probably doesn't have a Pioneer factory warranty. You should check the manufacturer website for the list of authorized dealers before purchasing something that is advertised at below MSRP. Most of the time (excluding Newegg sales), it's because they aren't an authorized dealer.

The Pioneer is from Best buy Magnolia. So, full warranty . They pricematched a local autorized Elite dealer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.