AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I press video parameters on the remote, it says not available. I've read page 68 a hundred times and it's still a no go. Can this receiver upconvert cable 480i broadcast to 1080i or p? If so, mine is not doing it. I'm no expert at this but it's fun and frutstrating at times to figure the things out.

All my hook ups are through HDMI

blu ray player

cable box (comcast)

Sharp LCD TV

Any advice would be deeply appreciated !

thanks in advance

Rob

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

the avr will not perform any video processing when the source is connected by hdmi... what comes in, goes out...

this is why you cannot select the video parameter option...

i think you missed the following in your hundred times reading the manual... it's right underneath where it says: "Important"... note the second bullet...

• Note that if an option cannot be selected on the VIDEO PARAMETER menu, it is unavailable due to the current source, setting and status of the receiver.

• These functions do not affect inputs other than DVD, TV/SAT, DVR, VIDEO (VSX-21TXH), VIDEO1 and 2 (VSX- 23TXH).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply Chris. So if a broadcast is coming through the cable box in 480i then it can't convert to 1080i ! That stinks
_

I wonder if there's a workaround for this ??

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

sure. you can connect your cable box with component cables (and a spdif cable for the audio).

that actually isn't as "bad" as it may seem. a significant amount of anecdotal evidence suggests that the picture quality through component is the same as through hdmi. many people are hooked up that way because their cable box does not play nice with their avr over hdmi, and they report no loss in picture quality (i'm one of them, fwiw).

then you can have the avr process for you if you like...

note: don't be surprised if when you have the avr do the processing (instead of the display like now), you don't see any difference...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts