AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a VSX-33 and have the opportunity to swap it out to a SC-27 without cost.

Do you guys think this is a no brainer? I'm not too bothered about losing the 3D HDMI functionality and Bluetooth of the VSX-33. I'm wondering if the SC-27, with its class D ICE amplification and general better build quality will give me better sound quality for music and movies, which is my primary concern.

Really appreciate your help, need to make a decision soon before the opportunity passes me!

Edit / I'm using a B&W 600 series 5.1 speaker setup with a PV1 sub

·
Registered
192 Posts
if 3D is not a consideration in the next 5yrs, THIS IS A NO BRAINER, I'd get this done in a heartbeat before the deal passes!!

SC27 is top of the line among the Elite SC-2x series, the audio section is arguably even better than the SC-37 which is leaps above VSX-33.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyzz /forum/post/20808768

if 3D is not a consideration in the next 5yrs, THIS IS A NO BRAINER, I'd get this done in a heartbeat before the deal passes!!

SC27 is top of the line among the Elite SC-2x series, the audio section is arguably even better than the SC-37 which is leaps above VSX-33.

Hi jyzz thanks for your response.

I have a Pioneer 50" PDP which I adore + Epson 1080p projector and really can't stand wearing glasses for 3D, so yes 3D won't be a consideration for me for sure.

I'm going to pick up the SC-27 on Monday

Can you tell me why "the audio section is arguably even better than the SC-37" ? I would have presumed the 37 would excel beyond the 27 as it has 32bit DAC's?

Cheers!

·
Registered
400 Posts
The only other reason that may be important is that the VSX-33 has a better up-scaling chip if you still have any analog sources. Besides that, the SC-27 is much more powerful, better build, and other features reserved for the top of the line Pioneer receiver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfanatic1 /forum/post/20809001

The only other reason that may be important is that the VSX-33 has a better up-scaling chip if you still have any analog sources. Besides that, the SC-27 is much more powerful, better build, and other features reserved for the top of the line Pioneer receiver.

Not too much of a problem, my HTPC and satellite receiver are both 1080p. Besides that it's just a Xbox 360 over VGA and Nintendo Wii.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuniD /forum/post/20808916

Hi jyzz thanks for your response.

I have a Pioneer 50" PDP which I adore + Epson 1080p projector and really can't stand wearing glasses for 3D, so yes 3D won't be a consideration for me for sure.

I'm going to pick up the SC-27 on Monday

Can you tell me why "the audio section is arguably even better than the SC-37" ? I would have presumed the 37 would excel beyond the 27 as it has 32bit DAC's?

Cheers!

I'd be curious as well - I have an SC-27 and am debating whether to upgrade to the SC-57, in order to get AirPlay, dual sub outputs, and the more advanced video calibration features thanks to the Marvell QDEO upscaling chip. At least one reviewer on the dedicated SC-55/57 thread thinks that the Class D3 amps are holding their own (if not slightly smoother) vs. the Class Ds in the SC-27.

But since we don't have a 3D TV, I'm debating whether to wait to see more reviews, or maybe wait for the SC-67 next year if Pioneer improves the unit for things like individually adjustable crossovers by channel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.