AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like the more I look, the more $ it will cost. It appears the only dif. between the VSX 49 TXI and the 49 TX is about $300-400 and it has an i-link. Anyone know what this does, does it help a home theatre and is it worth the extra $?

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I Link

It saves the five cables that you need for DVD Audio or SACD players. I would guess that some time down the road the less expensive players (Pioneer)will also have it.

It is unique to Pioneer - Denon has their own and I think Onkyo has theirs too. Having hooked up my SACD player with five cables - I guess I would say it is worth the extra money - what a PIA that many thick cables were to deal with.

Reggie

·
Registered
617 Posts
don't forget how much quality component cables cost as well. balances out a bit though I'm not sure how much the i-link cable is or if it's included.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arthurvino
i-link is proprietary, skip it and save your $$$.. unless u got a high end pioneer SA or DVD-Audio player..
i-Link is not proprietary. Any device that has an i-link output, from any manufacturer, can be connected to the 49TXi. Unlike the Denon-link, which can only be used with other Denon products.

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Quote:
i-link is proprietary, skip it and save your $$$.. unless u got a high end pioneer SA or DVD-Audio player..
The i-link is not proprietary on the TXi. The TXi also comes with a few extras the TX does not have.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I beleive they have better DACS in the 49TXI. The 47AI also had internal improvements to the 47, which were better power supply, and better DACS.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If anyone is seriously interested in buying an Elite receiver and won't be making the purchase "this weekend", you may wish to visit the Pioneer web site and online order the Elite's literature. It contains a great two page spreadsheet-like format of every feature of the entire line side by side. You can see what the differences are. For instance, the 49 line is copper lined, the 47 is not. And yes, the DAC's are different, both in quality and quantity. I loaned mine out or I would be more specific. I have decided to go with an ATI 2505 and either an Outlaw or Rotel pre/pro. A wee bit more ($400 or so), but well worth the exrta outlay to drive my VA Mozarts. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

StuckinAK

·
Registered
761 Posts
i.Link is not proprietary, it's made by Texas Instruments. Currently the 49TXi is the first receiver to incorporate this technology, you should see other brands begin to start using this technology. Hopefully you'll see some new products incoporate this at the 2003 CES.

A few cool features with i.Link:

1.) In addition to simplified connection, jitterless audio is possible with Pioneer’s PQLS* technology when playing audio CDs and SACDs. By supressing jitter, deterioration of audio quality is minimized and digital audio of the highest quality is realized. Technology for high-precision transmission of digital audio over the i.LINK interface enabling jitterless

digital-to-analog conversion using a precision quartz in this receiver. To make this feature work, it is only necessary that this receiver and one rate-control-compatible player are alive on the i.LINK network.

2.) Other advantages of using i.LINK include ‘smart’ features such as automatic configuration and automatic function selection—start playback on a i.LINK-equipped component and the receiver automatically selects the component for input.0

3.) Using the i.LINK interface it is possible to chain up to 17 components together so that the digital audio and control signals from each component is available to other components in the network. With the addition of an i.LINK repeater, it’s possible to connect up to 63 components.

Differences between 49TX and 49TXi:

1.) i.Link

2.) MCACC automatically measures speaker distances by every .2ft instead of .5ft

3.) 2 Custom MCACC files in which you can copy the settings that the receiver made and tweak them this way you don't change the original file.

4.) Audio delay which allows you to delay the audio so it will match the video.

5.) Use Hi-Bit/Hi-Sampling mode when listening to CDs, DVDs or other digital soundtracks for wider dynamic range, allowing finer audio reproduction. I believe this converts the signal to 96/24.

6.) I noticed that in the THX ULTRA2 menu you can change the setting for SB speaker distance, you could do this with the 49tx but now it gives you more options. Baiscally what this is is that you can tell the receiver how far apart your rear back speakers are from each other. This will change the THX ULTRA2 ASA (Advanced Speaker Array) aglorithm; ASA is the technology used to properly blend the surround back speakers with the side surround speakers providing the optimal mix of ambient and directional surround sounds when you select THX ULTRA2. With THX MusicMode ASA provides a wide stable rear soundstage, placing surround sounds best suited for

music playback. So you can adjust the speaker distances and choose either 0-1ft, 4ft.

7.) The 49TXi has the ability to adjust the DPLII settings like center width, panorama, and dimension.

Those are the only differences I can think of between the 2. I think sutckinAk is talking about differences between the 49tx, and 47tx because the 49txi and 49tx both have the same DAC's.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
761 Posts
No Ron I can't help you there because I don't own one try the 49tx, and 49txi forum here they could prolly help you. I'll check and see if it says anything about it in the manual but that's what I heard it does. The 45tx has it so the it should have it also.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well that's quite disappointing. I did look through the again manual and I couldn't find anything. I heard from a reliable source that it would maybe he was misinformed.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
2 Posts
[
Quote:
i.link is not proprietary and it isn't made by Texas Instruments only.

i.LINK a.k.a. FireWire a.k.a. IEEE1394 was invented by Apple. the word FireWire® is a registered trademark by Apple Computer, Inc. i.link is a Sony trademark, it was based on original IEEE1394-1995. basically, any devices affirm to IEEE1394-1995 standard, can be used on this connection.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by epos
[

i.link is not proprietary and it isn't made by Texas Instruments only.

i.LINK a.k.a. FireWire a.k.a. IEEE1394 was invented by Apple. the word FireWire® is a registered trademark by Apple Computer, Inc. i.link is a Sony trademark, it was based on original IEEE1394-1995. basically, any devices affirm to IEEE1394-1995 standard, can be used on this connection.

That is absolutely correct. Sony just renamed the Firewire to i-link. It follows the same standard.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yeah I know Ti didn't invent IEEE 1394 I know it was invented on an Apple (I'm using one right now) but the technology of transfering the audio through Firewire is by Ti. Same as the USB input on the back of the 45tx that connects to your computer and decode your computer audio signals was created by Ti, but not the USB port.

Daniel Smith

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Quote:
but the technology of transfering the audio through

Firewire is by Ti.
Sorry, that's not correct either. The 1394 audio protocol

specification (Audio and Music Data Transmission Protocol)

has been around for a while. Version 1.0 was released

in May of 1997. The current version is 2.1, released in

May of 2002.

Almost all 1394 specifications are done by committee. Of

course, TI can be on those committees, but get's no

recognition or royalties for participating.

It is true that the Pioneer equipment uses the TI chip.

However, there are 1394 Link Layer Controllers capable

of 1394 audio from other chip manufacturers.

All TI has done is develop a nice integrated chip that

has all the functionality required for encrypted 1394 audio.

Ron

·
Registered
387 Posts
The Firewire/i.Link connection (wire, connectors, and "protocol" to let a device notify the bus) is not proprietary but the other software communication and encryption/decryption, I believe, IS Pioneer specific.

I don't think you can't hook denon's DVD player to the Pioneer receiver (for the SACD or DVD-A) as there is NO released standard (at the moment) for transmitting the orignal DVD-A or SACD signal digitally (not talking A->D->A conversion which is what the receivers with Bass Management due). Each manufacturer chooses how to send and encrypt/decrypt it. There is talk/rumor of a standard coming but wouldn't hold our breath for now.

The penalties (ie money) for a DVD-A/SACD original signal transmitted in the digital domain that might be intercepted and decoded (ie bit-copied) is HUGE. That is why there are only analog signal outputs thus far standard on players.

Please let me know if someone has a different understanding of this.

Thanks,

Adam

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.