AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on Pioneer's website today announcing the Pioneer VSX-520-K and VSX-820-K (3/1/2010):

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...e+Home+Theater


I guess the major news is Bluetooth and HDMI 1.4 (for 3D). Available this month.


New article announcing the Pioneer VSX-920-K, VSX-1020-K and VSX-1120-K (3/5/2010):

http://www.twice.com/article/449660-...iPhone_App.php


See the features for the products in this 2010 line in the Amazon chart on this page: http://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B0039XQQXA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Nice, but the product table leaves something to be desired - I see a lot of blanks in the Amazon Feature Chart (no internet radio, no iPhone remote app(!!!!), no PC Control). I think I'm stuck waiting for the 1020-K model to get those extra features...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Certainly the fact that they've left blanks indicates that they'll fill in those blanks when they expand the chart to include higher end models. It's kind of disappointing there's no news about those higher end models. Given that David Bales from Pioneer marketing apparently posted on this site to drum up excitement in advance of an announcement today (and given that they did announce something, I feel confident it was really him), I'm disappointed that these low end receivers are apparently all that's being announced. (I think Onkyo announced two months ago that their 2010 receivers would be 3D compatible, so that was a must. And bluetooth compatibility? Not an earth-shaking development either.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Well, that's underwhelming. The bluetooth piece isn't even built in. It's a separate accessory. From Amazon:

Quote:
Bluetooth capability (with AS-BT100 adapter, sold separately)

lets you play music wirelessly from your Bluetooth-enabled portable devices
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
A BT adapter that let's you not only listen to music but control the receiver and stream files from your device (say a mobile phone, PC, etc...) would be worth $99.


Just music? Rip off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,195 Posts

Quote:
Nice, but the product table leaves something to be desired - I see a lot of blanks in the Amazon Feature Chart (no internet radio, no iPhone remote app(!!!!), no PC Control). I think I'm stuck waiting for the 1020-K model to get those extra features...

The 519 and 819 were the entry level Pioneer receivers, so the 520 and 820 follow suit. You're not expecting ALL the features on the entry level models are you? If they did that you'd have no reason to buy the higher end stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Interesting that they have pre-outs for Dolby Pro-Logic IIz...


Hard to tell from the back panel, but it looks like they might be selectable between Surround Back and IIz...


Who the heck is going to buy one of these entry level receivers, and then provide an additional amp with two more speakers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18229885


The 519 and 819 were the entry level Pioneer receivers, so the 520 and 820 follow suit. You're not expecting ALL the features on the entry level models are you? If they did that you'd have no reason to buy the higher end stuff.

Yeah, I just want the higher end models out ASAP. I almost bought a 1019 and am waiting for its successor!


Also, it says HDMI 1.4, does that mean it will support the new Ethernet-over-HDMI standard? It would be nice to plug my receiver in, and then all my (next gen) consoles get internet access so I don't have to have a 5 port ethernet switch behind my TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The HDMI 1.4 specification specifies Ethernet (see below). Pioneer says its 2010 receivers "support the latest HDMI specification," so the answer should be yes, it supports the Ethernet-over-HDMI standard, but I guess the proof is in the pudding.


According to HDMI.org (see http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...1_4_faq.aspx#1 ), HDMI 1.4 includes the following:


HDMI Ethernet Channel

The HDMI 1.4 specification adds a data channel to the HDMI connection, enabling high-speed, bi-directional communication. Connected devices that include this feature can send and receive data via 100 Mb/sec Ethernet, making them instantly ready for any IP-based application. The HDMI Ethernet Channel allows internet-enabled HDMI devices to share an internet connection via the HDMI link, with no need for a separate Ethernet cable. It also provides the connection platform that will allow HDMI-enabled components to share content between devices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Wow. 20 years after Ethernet became ubiquitous in computing, the consumer electronics industry manages to kludge together a new standard, a new cable, and reinvent the wheel to get . . . Ethernet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
I'm a little confused on the new Pioneer iPhone integration. I'm considering the VSX-23. It already has iPod support (iPhone too, right?). I see this paragraph on the Pioneer website:


"iPhone Control Button - Adding to the ease-of-use expected by Apple users, the VSX-820-K additionally features a front panel iPhone Control button that transfers iPod® navigation control from the A/V receiver's remote control back to the connected Apple device so users can easily and quickly navigate through their library of media files directly on the device."


How is this different from the VSX-21 and 23?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 /forum/post/18229976


Who the heck is going to buy one of these entry level receivers, and then provide an additional amp with two more speakers?

Anyone upgrading from a receiver with line-level inputs for fronts can use his old receiver for the extra amps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,263 Posts
Even as entry level wallyworld receivers, they are weirdly configured with 5 weak amps and the capability for 7(?) or 9(?) channels. Who the heck would buy them knowingly with the goal of using PLIIz is a very good question....


Is matching a $3K 3D HDTV & $500 3D BD player with a $229 receiver a great idea even for the "masses"?



Do the math - $229 for the AVR leaves $300 for 5 speakers and you have.....HTIB minus the box!



These are really Pioneer's new ipod docks



ss9001
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc0000 /forum/post/18230658


I'm a little confused on the new Pioneer iPhone integration. I'm considering the VSX-23. It already has iPod support (iPhone too, right?). I see this paragraph on the Pioneer website:


"iPhone Control Button - Adding to the ease-of-use expected by Apple users, the VSX-820-K additionally features a front panel iPhone Control button that transfers iPod® navigation control from the A/V receiver's remote control back to the connected Apple device so users can easily and quickly navigate through their library of media files directly on the device."


How is this different from the VSX-21 and 23?

As I understand it, there are two modes of controlling an iPod/iPhone connected to the USB port of the VSX-21/23: either (1) by using the Pioneer user interface (typically via the remote control) or (2) by manipulating the user controls on the iPod itself. (With some limitations - e.g., my understanding is that video playback can be controlled only through the iPod controls and not through the Pioneer user interface.) Only one mode of control is enabled at a time - to switch between the two control modes, the user needs to switch between them using the remote control.


It sounds to me like there will be a hard-button "Control" button on the front panel of the 820/520 that will allow the user to switch between the two control modes without using the remote control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
I looked up the VSX-23 manual and it says on page 46:
Switching the iPod controls


You can switch over the iPod controls between the iPod

and the receiver.


1 Press iPod CTRL to switch the iPod controls.

This enables operation and display on your iPod, and this

receiver's remote control and GUI screen become

inactive.


2 Press iPod CTRL again to switch back to the receiver

controls.

So it looks like the receiver already has this feature. I checked and so did the previous model, the VSX-03. So what is Pioneer talking about? Touting a new feature that was already in the receiver? Or are we missing something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat /forum/post/18230126


Yeah, I just want the higher end models out ASAP. I almost bought a 1019 and am waiting for its successor!


Also, it says HDMI 1.4, does that mean it will support the new Ethernet-over-HDMI standard? It would be nice to plug my receiver in, and then all my (next gen) consoles get internet access so I don't have to have a 5 port ethernet switch behind my TV.

Nope.. Ethernet for HDMI is not supported in the chip yet. It cannot be supported at this time..


Sorry..


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc0000 /forum/post/18232122


I looked up the VSX-23 manual...

So it looks like the receiver already has this feature. I checked and so did the previous model, the VSX-03. So what is Pioneer talking about? Touting a new feature that was already in the receiver? Or are we missing something?

Those are more expensive 7 channel Elite AVRs. These are Pioneer's entry level 5.1 receivers. It could be a new feature to their low-end.


I had a quick look and apart from the ipod thing these seem to be the changes from the previous generation entry level receivers, the 519 and 819.


819 -> 820


+1 HDMI input (3 to 4)

+1 Composite / stereo input (Labelled BD which seems a bit blasphemous)
removed 5.1 Analog input

added PLIIz height option for rear surround pre-out (can use one, not both)

added HDMI 1.4 support (3D-ready but no two-way audio, no ethernet)

added bluetooth - adapter sold separately

added Sirius input


519 -> 520


+$30 More expensive (was $199, now $229)

+1 HDMI input (2 to 3)

+1 Composite / stereo input
removed 5.1 Analog input

added PLIIz height option for rear surround pre-out (can use one, not both)

added HDMI 1.4 support (3D-ready but no two-way audio, no ethernet)

added bluetooth - adapter sold separately

added TrueHD and DTS MA support
 
1 - 20 of 161 Posts
Top