AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- currently own an Onkyo 575x (75watts/chan, 5 chans) which is perfectly fine for my needs, except it doesn't have pre-outs. I am driving some 6ohm Snell QBxs all around, rated at 88dB sensitivity.

I can get a good deal on a Pioneer VSX-816 which is rated at 100watts/chan, over 7 channels, and has preouts. I am planning on eventually using outboard amps, but for now I will have to use the receiver's amps. Question: will the Pioneer's amps be as good as the Onkyo's driving these Snells? The Onkyo weighs 7 more pounds, and generally has a better reputation than Pioneer. But, the Pioneer is about 6 years newer and can be used to bi-amp my fronts. Do you think these Pioneer advantages will make up for its shortcomings? Please let me know! Thanks very much...

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I'm compared the 505 and 816 in the same system as far as internal amps forget the specs they are pretty much on par with each other and personally I like the sound of the onkyo a little better but that's preference.

The 816 does have pre outs but that's about it in comparison. Personally I wouldn't go to the 816 just for that reason, especially if you aren't ready to add external amps now. I'd advise saving and waiting will your ready to add external amps, by then the prices on the current full featured HDMI receivers should have fallen and you will get a better receiver.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks- I think that makes sense. Maybe I should just wait until I am actually ready to get the amps. I don't really want to risk a drop in sound quality now just for a potential upgrade in the future...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts