AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a new receiver because my current Pioneer VSX-D412 only has one optical audio input. I'd also like a newer Pioneer with the blue lights to match my Pioneer plasma

I've been researching both the VSX-817 and the 816 and from what I can tell the 816 is better(?).

Now I know for a fact that this year Pioneer "cheaped out" on a lot of stuff. for instance their plasma's don't have the seperate MR receiver and their 42" model is down an inch from last years 43 incher and it doesn't have detachable speakers.

well I think this years receivers suffered the same fate because the 817 is missing a front optical input and pre-amp outputs on the back for surround channels. its also missing the SR remote IR feature that the 816 has and the remote doesn't have that neat LCD screen. it just feels more "stripped down" than the 816.

Pio must have gotten a new CFO this year or something because a lot of their stuff seems "lacking" from their last year's models.

does anyone have any input on these two receivers that they'd like to share? thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
I was also comparing the 816 and the 817 and the 816 was my choice, I can't remember all the details, but yes the 817 seemed stripped down, maybe it was so they could add the Sirius sat. into it? Go to pioneerelectronic.com and choose the compare buttons under the receivers and it will become apparent.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just took a quick look, what I didn't like about the 817 was that it doesn't have any preamp outputs other than for the subwoofer.

Funny thing is that the comparison says the 816 doesn't have the room calibration mcacc, but when you look at the 816 page alone, it does have it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I noticed that too and it does have the mcacc jack right on the front.

I think I'm going to go for the 816 but what sucks is they're selling for more than the 817! all the ones I can find are re-furbs too.

guess everybody got the memo about the 817 being stripped down.

why did Pio do this anyways? even the 815 is looking better than the 817.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't know when it happened maybe they chose to count down on their numbering scheme from worst being the higher number? JK- but with xm and sirius going to merge I don't know that having both connections matters....and it would be nicer to just purchase your satellite gear from the satellite company and get better decoding and amps from your reciever.

Now that I think about it they are really the same reciever just with different options, so in a way it is nice to have a chance to choose your components in the box but they didn't keep up with demand on the 816 because that is the "model" I want.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a little more research and I think I'm just going to go with the 917.

its got all the features of the 816 (including LCD remote) and its got HDMI.

it'll only cost about $100 more too ($350 shipped for a brand-new unit off ebay).

·
Registered
298 Posts
What all is missing from the 816 in the 817 besides the stuff listed on the comparison page?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...069809,00.html

Personally I don't care much about having an LCD on the remote anyways as I usually tend to use a universal remote, and other than that it looks like the 817 has more features to me, except for the ipod thing but I don't currently nor ever plan on owning an ipod. The phase control feature sounds nice, but it doesn't seem like the 816 has it. Also I am curious if that front stage surround feature woks as advertised (honestly I've never heard any "sound reflection" system work worth its weight in salt before.)

I don't think I'll ever use any pre-amp outputs either as this thing already has more power than I need as it is.

The 817 is available at wally world for pretty cheap, and wally world has that nice 90 day return period for long term evaluation. I am contemplating returning my 816 to BB and getting this one instead if it has better features.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Personally as stated above I think, the 816 looks better. The 817 doesn't have a front optical input if that matters (which never has for me). They both are showing the same processor and same internal amplification. The only difference is the input features. So, pick which one has the input features you need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.