AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i finally have everything set up after about 5 months of working on my basement, and i just recently hooked up all my speakers to the receiver. The problem is at loud scenes, the pioneer vsx819 shuts off. Im guessing that it is going into safe mode or something, but why? I have the Onkyo SKS-HT750, but do not hook up the back surr. because the vsx819 is 5.1. The speakers are 8 ohms, meeting the receivers requirement, so what can be causing this?

edit: i do not blast my movies, and this does not happen when i play xbox

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
get a good flashlight and check each speaker wire connection on the back of the receiver and at each speaker. You are looking for a stray single strand of copper wire that may be touching a neighbor binding post or wire. It would not be enough to put the receiver into "protection mode" at low volume, but as the output current goes up with volume, it could create enough of a short to trip the protection circuitry.

That's the first bit of troubleshooting, anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/18272730

get a good flashlight and check each speaker wire connection on the back of the receiver and at each speaker. You are looking for a stray single strand of copper wire that may be touching a neighbor binding post or wire. It would not be enough to put the receiver into "protection mode" at low volume, but as the output current goes up with volume, it could create enough of a short to trip the protection circuitry.

That's the first bit of troubleshooting, anyway.

Thank you for your response. If this is not the case, what else can be causing this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts