AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to get answers to this through search, but could find no confirmation. I am looking for a low-end receiver for my second room home theater and was leaning toward buying the Pioneer 819 before I saw a detail of concern. One of my priorities is a receiver that can take any input and output it through one cable, initially s-video or composite to an old Sony CRT and eventually via hdmi to a combo computer monitor/hdtv. It appears the Pioneer despite being new cannot handle this, and requires composite cables for both output and input for instance. The 254, I understand does this as well as upconverting to 1080. I will also play an ipod, both songs/podcasts and video through this, either with the included Pioneer cable or with an apple cable/dock I already have. Again, will the 254 fill my needs.

Prices seem comparable if I buy from HK's refurb store on ebay.

Apologies for the comparison, and would appreciate any alternates as well.

thanks

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Just because the deals on the AVR 254 are so good as are soon to be replaced doesn't mean it's an inexpensive receiver. The AVR-254 is not really comparable to the 819, one is very low end and the other is a lower mid-range receiver. The 254 weighs almost 10lbs heavier. The 254 is a 7.1 channel receiver, the 819 is only 5. The 819 is drastically overrated with it's power ratings. The 254 has more connectivity and features. At the price you can get one right now it's hard to beat.

No receiver is without flaws. Very few people get a new AVR and have it run flawlessly from day 1.

I would take the 254 any day over the 819 if those were the choices. The HK has a great amp, very impressive GUI and always seems to be regarded as having excellent SQ. Personally I like the way it looks more than any others too. That's my 2cents

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and yes I see the differences in one being low-end and the other mid-end. For me, they're in the ballpark because of price (as it's my second theater). What is important is connectivity, to be able to use one output.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The 254 is better in pretty much every way. Better amp section, better GUI, better looks, etc... Another receiver worth considering is the Denon 1610/590. Great amp section and a full Audyssey suite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.