AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those in the market for a new receiver, may want to wait a few months, Cnet has this as a contender for Best of Show, the on-board DTS-HD/DTHD along with an on screen menu and 3 hdmi inputs for 299$! sounds to me like the 606 just lost its place as the best "bang for the buck" receiver!

Key features of the Pioneer VSX-819H:

* Three HDMI inputs

* Two component video inputs

* Three digital-audio inputs (two optical, one coaxial)

* Onboard Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding

* Automatic speaker calibration

* Auto Level Control (keeps commercials from being louder than programs)

* Connect your iPod via USB and browse your songs with an onscreen interface

* Sirius-ready, with onscreen interface

* April release date, $300 list price

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU....VSX-819H.Kuro

Amazing. HDMI audio processing for $300 and 3 inputs! That's a better deal than the Yamaha RX-V465\\V565, Denon 788\\789, and Onkyo 606!

I don't think this can be beaten currently. Is there ANY reason why someone on a budget who wants HDMI audio processing and doesnt care about 7.1 would purchase anything else? Power issues, component failures, lacking of features, etc that are not common knowledge? I can't see any reason to purchase anything else.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
I'm literally floored that more people arent responding to\\excited about this. Am I the only one who picked my jaw up off the floor? Surely not everyone on this site can afford to drop $500+ on their receiver alone. :x

·
Registered
187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/16267763

I'm literally floored that more people arent responding to\\excited about this. Am I the only one who picked my jaw up off the floor? Surely not everyone on this site can afford to drop $500+ on their receiver alone. :x

I am excited by the price points. I see you can buy it directly from Pioneer right now. But I am trying to hold out for the 919, with all the added features and 7.1 for only $100 more. It is also finally listed on their site just no place is stocking them yet, but we are only half way through April so anytime now.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey, I'm looking to get an entry level unit for my dad's new setup. Question:

Can everyone confirm that this unit isn't one of those cheapies with "pass through" HDMI audio which is another way of saying that it won't be able to pass the audio to the speakers its connected to?

The Sony STR-DG520 is a great deal, but Amazon reviewers said the HDMI audio doesn't get passed to the speakers hooked up to it, and that Sony only states this fact in the fine print. A similar thing was said about the Pioneer VSX-917V-K.

I just want to ask this question to be on the safe side because $299 is one heckuva price and I'm wary of them cutting corners. Thanks.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_honda /forum/post/16324681

Hey, I'm looking to get an entry level unit for my dad's new setup. Question:

Can everyone confirm that this unit isn't one of those cheapies with "pass through" HDMI audio which is another way of saying that it won't be able to pass the audio to the speakers its connected to?

The Sony STR-DG520 is a great deal, but Amazon reviewers said the HDMI audio doesn't get passed to the speakers hooked up to it, and that Sony only states this fact in the fine print. A similar thing was said about the Pioneer VSX-917V-K.

I just want to ask this question to be on the safe side because $299 is one heckuva price and I'm wary of them cutting corners. Thanks.

Correct, it is a full-featured HDMI receiver (by specs, descript, and reviews).

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Wow. I just replaced my Pioneer 1014 today with the Yamaha rx-v465. I thought that was a great deal for TrueHD & DTS-HD MA.

I guess the 4th HDMI port is worth something.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just picked this one up at BB for $300. I was actually looking at the 818 on close-out and all they had was the 819. I needed to replace my Onkyo NITB which was DOA.

I just got it hooked up but I think it will work fine in my 5.1 setup. I've got my PS3 hooked up to it and an optical out from my Pio plasma for the digital channels.

We shall see!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hatchet,

Any way you can check streaming music over the USB input? I'm more interested in how a USB flash drive or hard drive works than an actual iPod. The only limitations I'm aware for the 819 is that it has to be formatted in FAT32 and cannot be lossless from what I recall from reading the manual. I think max resolution was 320k for mp3 or 192k for WMA.

Anyway, if you or anyone else has any way of checking that, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Doug

·
Registered
34 Posts
anyone know where this receiver is on-sale for 276 at? Someone in another thread mentioned he got it for that price. I was hoping to purchase this receiver today at bestbuy but would rather get it for less. Thank for any info! this receiver looks to provide alot of bang for the buck!

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taperwood /forum/post/16349902

Hatchet,

Any way you can check streaming music over the USB input? I'm more interested in how a USB flash drive or hard drive works than an actual iPod. The only limitations I'm aware for the 819 is that it has to be formatted in FAT32 and cannot be lossless from what I recall from reading the manual. I think max resolution was 320k for mp3 or 192k for WMA.

Anyway, if you or anyone else has any way of checking that, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

Doug

Sure, I'd be happy to try.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
All of the '09 Pioneers are listing at least $100 less than their like-featured competitors. I've been trying to figure out if there is a catch and they're using really crappy amps or something, or if they're just being really aggressive after dropping out of displays. The Yamaha MSRP's in particular are probably the worst value I've seen on a product line in quite a while.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Anyone considering this unit...

It does not have any A/C outlets on the back if you wanted to power other components. I bought a small CPU type fan which I had intended to use to cool another AVR. I went to plug it in to the 819, no outlet. Not a biggie but just in case you expected an outlet to be there, like I did!

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta /forum/post/16350644

All of the '09 Pioneers are listing at least $100 less than their like-featured competitors. I've been trying to figure out if there is a catch and they're using really crappy amps or something, or if they're just being really aggressive after dropping out of displays. The Yamaha MSRP's in particular are probably the worst value I've seen on a product line in quite a while.

Yeah, I know. Originally, I was planning to purchase the 818 on clearance at BB for $260 ($249 on Pioneer's site). They didn't have any 818's in stock, only the 819 NITB but no price. When I asked the rep how much it was, I began to question the $299 price...it didn't seem right for a lot of reasons. As many have said, it's probably under powered for my setup but I needed a quick fix to get up and running. You get what you pay for and, so far, it seems like money well spent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was also looking at this one at BB but one thing I need is Component in with HDMI out and if I am reading the comparison table at Pioneer correctly the 819 does not do that, but the 919 will. Do I have that right? If it will do the conversion, it is good enough and I can get it instead of waiting and or paying $100 more.

Quote:
Digital Video Processing 819

HDMI 1080p Video Repeater Yes

Deep Color Yes

xvYCC Yes

Aspect Ratio Adjust Yes
Quote:
Digital Video Processing 919

SD Video Adjustment Yes

HDMI 1080p Video Repeater Yes

Digital Video Converter to HDMI Yes

PureCinema I/P Converter Yes

Deep Color Yes

xvYCC Yes

Aspect Ratio Adjust Yes

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hatchet,

Like Taperwood, I also would appreciate any feedback you can provide on his question. I would like to use a USB harddrive and would like to know if it works and how the interface works to browse the drive, start playing in a shuffle mode, linear mode, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What's this thing sound like, what's the overall build quality and where are the pix?! There are only pictures of the front on Pioneers site.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought the 819 to replace my Onkyo 605 for my bedroom. I own a 1018 so I can compare it to that.

The first thing that I have noticed that I do not like is that you HAVE to have component cables connected to see the OSD for MACC or any speaker set up. It does not work over HDMI which is all I have it hooked up to to my Sony LCD. So just for me to utilize the screen to set up my speakers, I have to add component cables.

This maybe small but it is an inconvenience for me.

How does it sound you ask? It sounds good. I like the use of the Macc to set up my Polk Monitor 50's and 30's in my bedroom. Only issue I have is that it does not read or at least show it is reading TrueHD while watching Dark Knight. DTS-HD Master appeared when watching Red Cliff 2.

Once again, it is a nice small receiver and the ipod screen looks better than my 1018 but the fact that I have to hook up cables I will not use for anything else other than the OSD, makes me think I am going to return it for the 919.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I picked up the 819 yesterday. My initial impressions are that it's a good receiver. I returned a Yamaha rx-v465, which I thought had an HDMI handshake issue with my LG BD370, but I have the same issue with the Pioneer.

Gripes:
  • The inputs aren't fully assignable. I wanted to use Comp1 for Wii with stereo audio and Comp2 for PS2 with optical. I couldn't figure out a way to get it to work--while still using all 3 HDMI inputs. Instead, I have to send those console's video out directly to the TV. (The yamaha couldn't solve this issue either.)
  • The OSD is quite ugly--I've only seen it using Composite video out to my display, but it's not worth using, IMO.
  • No way to rename the inputs. (The yamaha allowed for renaming.)
  • No initial volume level setting. I think the 1019 has this, but it's overkill for our needs.

The receiver is smaller than my 1014 that was in use until last week, seems to run cooler (which is good for the other equipment in the cabinet), and my wife likes that the volume indicator counts up in positive numbers instead of negative. (sheesh.
)

Auto MCACC setup was a breeze, even without OSD, and I think the build quality is better than the Yamaha rx-v465, which has spring clips for surrounds and center speaker terminals. I prefer banana jacks/binding posts.

1 - 20 of 274 Posts