AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im new to the boards here, and im really new to the whole surround sound/amp setup thing. Im relatively techno savvy and when I sit down tonight to set everything up, I anticipate no problems. What I am asking for is clarity as far as the set up goes.

On Saturday, I bought an LG 47LX6500 that I just love. Anticipating the purchase of the TV, I already had the VSX-820 purchased and on the way. After recieving it, I was browsing the manual and some questions arose I though you might be able to help with.

1) Im assuming that the TV/Sat HDMI port would be where the line from my Time Warner Cable HD box would go in at. Obviously, the HDMI outlet goes into the tv. Why is it also asking me to plug in a yellow analog? I thought the HDMI carried both sound and picture.

2) I can run the cable box and blu-ray in their respective ports and they will both run through the outlet port to the tv? It seems to be that sending a picture of the quality of blu-ray or cable would lose some clarity in the transfer through the reciever.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the very same Receiver and am very happy with it.

The answers to your questions:

1. The yellow analog connection is used to view your receivers settings on the TV screen. The HDMI cable is sending the video and sound from the components they originate from. Since the reciever doesn't require a high end connection, the analog connection is sufficient. I disconnected it after I got the receiver set up.

2. I think the main reason to route them through the receiver is simplicity. You certainly can route them directly from the source to the TV, but when you want to change sources; you'll have to switch sources, blah, blah, blah.... Of course if you buy a remote that does all that, it's not an issue.

I was in the direct connection is better camp but after running everything through the receiver, things looked better too me than direct connections. I assumed it was due to the upconverting processor in the receiver, but someone I know said it didn't look any better to them.

Well, at least in my mind it's better.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton44 /forum/post/19647211

Hi,

Im new to the boards here, and im really new to the whole surround sound/amp setup thing. Im relatively techno savvy and when I sit down tonight to set everything up, I anticipate no problems. What I am asking for is clarity as far as the set up goes.

On Saturday, I bought an LG 47LX6500 that I just love. Anticipating the purchase of the TV, I already had the VSX-820 purchased and on the way. After recieving it, I was browsing the manual and some questions arose I though you might be able to help with.

1) Im assuming that the TV/Sat HDMI port would be where the line from my Time Warner Cable HD box would go in at. Obviously, the HDMI outlet goes into the tv. Why is it also asking me to plug in a yellow analog? I thought the HDMI carried both sound and picture.

2) I can run the cable box and blu-ray in their respective ports and they will both run through the outlet port to the tv? It seems to be that sending a picture of the quality of blu-ray or cable would lose some clarity in the transfer through the reciever.

Any help is much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts