AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a Pioneer VSX-822-K, hooked to a Pioneer KURO elite plasma. I have the receiver out via an HDMI cable to the Pioneer Television and that is the only cable that has been needed.

I have a blu-ray player, a sony playstation, a computer, and direct TV satellite all on different HDMI inputs which work flawlessly.

If I try to hook anything up via the RCA (RED/WHITE/Yellow) I can get audio, but video never comes through.

I have a device or two that do not have HDMI outputs, and didn't think this would be an issue.

You guys have any ideas why the video wouldn't be outputting to the television? Or any ideas of how to troubleshoot?

Thanks

·
Registered
28,739 Posts
you need to step up to a higher end receiver if you want analog to HDMI conversion. I think the Pioneer VSX-1022 will do this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to your question and resultant replies I now know how to solve my problem with the DVD player. I have a question for you since you said your other components function flawlessly. Did you perhaps successfully load the codes into your remote to enable control of your other components? I tried several times to follow the manual instructions but had 0 success. I see no indication on receiver nor remote that an attempt is being made to enter codes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp615  /t/1417209/pioneer-vsx-822-k-wont-send-output-rca-video-to-tv#post_22162222

Thanks to your question and resultant replies I now know how to solve my problem with the DVD player. I have a question for you since you said your other components function flawlessly. Did you perhaps successfully load the codes into your remote to enable control of your other components? I tried several times to follow the manual instructions but had 0 success. I see no indication on receiver nor remote that an attempt is being made to enter codes.

I'm glad my question helped you,.. that is what this is all about.

Anyhow, as for the remote, programming I assume, I haven't even bothered with that at the moment.

Of course, the 'dilemma' faced with so many people who do a proper home entertainment setup of any kind is they end up with 2, .. 3.. 4 or more remotes... Which is a hassle.

Some have the built in 'learn' function that you can point one remote at the other and program the infra-red output from one remote to the main remote you wish to use. I am not sure if this Pioneer remote possesses this feature, but will make use of it if so.

This setup has a Direct TV remote, Pioneer KURO plasma remote, The pioneer 822 Amp remote, and an Internet box/Blu ray LG remote.

Given that I went to the extra step of purchasing the computer to mount conveniently in the room with touch screen and wireless keyboard/mouse it makes the LG bluray (internet box) redundant, even the Sony playstations internet functions redundant.. as it is just more simple to go to a touch screen monitor in the room and stream and media, from audio, spotify, netflix, youtube, (and the list never ends..).

I would like to get the Direct TV remote working with the pioneer receiver remote, but never had the pre-conceived notion that it would be that simple.

Just a heads up, I did attach an aftermarket (non pioneer) Netgear universal wireless adapter that has an Ethernet port out to make the Pioneer 822 linked to my LAN and the internet. So I then downloaded the free APP for the receiver on my Iphone 4.. (also works on droid, etc). Which allows input select, active volume change, power off, mute, and so on. Which is handy when you have a remote across the room, under a couch, and so on. The ultimate goal would be to have a way to combine them all to one remote -- perhaps going with a Logitech Harmony Remote which *will* do the job. A little pricey, but if that is your goal I've heard great things about them.

Here is a link if you haven't already looked into it:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/universal-remotes

I am no expert on the remotes, just have looked at them back in 07/08 -- and since then they seem to have emerged as the best of their genre.. (up to debate I'm sure).

Good luck on your system!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin  /t/1417209/pioneer-vsx-822-k-wont-send-output-rca-video-to-tv#post_22161481

Hi Neofate, the 822-K does not upconvert analog video to HDMI out. What goes in must go out the same.

Question for all..

Since apparently the Pioneer VSX-822-K does not upconvert an analog signal --

Is there *any* adapter or manner to take the Composite (RCA) from the component and convert it via this box/adapter/module to shift to an HDMI cable to plug into the receiver.

Quality isn't a huge issue for this component,.. as it is a Nintendo "Wii", which is low resolution anyway -- but the purpose of trying to go this route is just for mere convenience.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as it currently stands -- To have this Wii run with composite cables, I would need to run the Audio (Red/White) to the reciever on any input,.. and separately run the Yellow video up to a separate in put on the television.

Then, of course, to operate this... I would have to switch inputs on the Receiver to the audio in ,.. and Television to the input where the Yellow composite I inserted is located.

It would be preferable to be able to still not have to switch inputs on the television,.. and just the receiver,.. and if there is any adapter/conversion as I mentioned maybe this is possible?

Can't hurt to ask..

Thanks,

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neofate  /t/1417209/pioneer-vsx-822-k-wont-send-output-rca-video-to-tv#post_22162836

Quality isn't a huge issue for this component,.. as it is a Nintendo "Wii", which is low resolution anyway -- but the purpose of trying to go this route is just for mere convenience.

Sure a Wii2HDMI

·
Registered
1 Posts
You mentioned that you know how to solve the problem with your DVD, can you please share how did you resolve this matter.

I have a DVD player which has RCA cables and this receiver does not send output RCA video to TV.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts