AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Harman Kardon AVR 645 that is just a bit too buggy for my liking (ie, not doing LPCM 7.1 via HDMI properly, freezing, and now a buggy subwoofer output). I have 4 ohm speakers and the HK seems to handle this no problem.

I'm considering the Pioneer VSX-84TXSi as a replacement for the HK, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the VSX-84TXSi driving a 4 ohm load. Fronts, Rears and Center are all 4 ohm (3.6 to be exact) but the dipole surround are 8 ohm. I couldn't find any info on this doing a search in google or this forum.

Also, not as important, but if anyone has any recomendations as to where to purchase this AVR I'de love to know. Keep in mind that I live in Canada (although Detroit is just a 10 min drive).

Thanks in advance,

Drew

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have not seen any posts that I can remember where someone powered 4ohm speakers with a Pioneer. It might be okay or it may cause the amp to run hot and prematurely fail. I have seen more than person post that they have good results with 4ohm speakers using Denons. I do not think their recievers are rated to 4ohs either though.

I have an older Pioneer Elite and really like it. Next year I will be installing 4ohm speakers and plan on adding an external amp just to be on the safe side and of course, get more power!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Read the review of the receiver at Sterophiles Guide to Home Theater where the reviewer runs Martin Logan Prodigies and Quests in a 5 channel system. If you can run big Logans like these, you will have no problem with any four ohm speakers at any realistic volume level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.