AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie and I am thinking about getting the Pioneer VSX-9040THX as my first AVR. If I get this what are some speakes combinations that I can get for $600 (including tax) or less that will sound good until I can upgrade to some better higher dollar speakers?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
If you don't need upscaling or 7.1, get less receiver and put more money towards speakers and sub. Something like the Denon 1610/590 or Onkyo 507. Or if you want to stick with Pioneer, something like the newer 820 model. This should up your speaker budget to $800. Do you have any restrictions as far as speaker size, etc...? Some speaker brands I like are Axiom, Aperion, Ascend, Orb, Mirage, Monitor Audio, PSB, Mordaunt-Short just to name a few of my favorites. All have their own personality so only your ear will know what you'll like best. For subs I generally lean towards HSU in the budget lines, but eD also has great subs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I owned some Klipsch Quintet III with a Klipsch Sub10 before I upgraded to what I have now. I was very pleased with them for the money.

You might want to consider putting that money into a couple nice floor standers in a 2 channel setup for now and then down the road buy a matching center, then buy a sub, then surrounds etc. If you go this route look at companies like Polk, Klipsch, Energy, Paradigm. They all have stuff in your price range.

-B

·
Registered
490 Posts
If i were you i would pick up a refurbed Onkyo 507 for $250.

Then go check out Paradigm and take a listen to the SE1's, studio 10's and the Studio 20's. All can be had for under $1000. You could get the SE1's and SE center for under $1000. The studio's, you would have to save up for the center but in the end you would have a very nice setup.

There's no reason to buy cheap speakers now and upgrade later. Buy 2 nice speakers now and then add as you save more money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. The reason I was leaning towards that particular Pioneer receiver is so that I would have it for future upgrades. I will do some research and check out the recommended receivers. I also am not against starting off with 2 speakers and then adding. What do you all think about getting that Pioneer receiver and buying to worthy mains?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi,

I bought the 9040 in early January and have been more than pleased. If you can get it for @ $500 imo it is a great deal.

I understand the posters advising to get "better" speakers first but I think it is fine to go with 9040 now.

I bought Paradigm Cinema CT 110 speakers in mid December when they were 1/2 off at Amazon, a great deal imo. I wanted speakers that would be on wall. I know these may not be "as good" as their floor standing speakers but it was a compromise.

I initially had them with my Onkyo htib receiver and was not pleased with the sound. I wanted to upgrade the receiver later but moved ahead, researching quite a bit and decided on the 9040.

The impact was immediate. I am very satisfied with the sounds now being produced. I have played around quite a bit with the MCACC calibration system and you will be amazed at the amount of tweaking you can do.

That said, I do not think the cinema 110s are that good for music listening. My primary purpose for this setup was home theater and movies. I have another sound system in another room that I prefer for music.

FWIW, if you are looking for a system that will "do it all" well (movies and music) then maybe the 9040 and the two speaker setup at first is a better first option. Hover, if you want to go with a 5.1/7.1 system, in your price range the Energy micros or one of the Klipsch systems may suffice. Buy from some place that will allow for returns and no restocking fee as the speakers produce different sounds. I bought the Paradigms based on reputation only - Paradigm has a good reputation and in my thinking would not want to lower their reputation by producing a poor quality system. Worked for me.

Again, the 9040 really brought out the quality in these speakers for my taste.

Good luck,

Vito

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Vito. I think I will be ordering the 9040 soon and will probably go with a 2 speaker set up to start and add as my funds will allow me. I had considered Energy speakers and have heard good things about them. From what I am reading the 9040 is a steal and will allow for future upgrades so I will take the plunge later this month. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If my research is correct, the 9040 is the Canadian version of the Elite VSX-21TXH.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Taoggniklat, I contacted Pioneer by phone and they said that it isn't Canadian because it is available in the states. You are right in that it is essentially the same as the 21THX.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_shotty /forum/post/18302969

Thanks for the replies. The reason I was leaning towards that particular Pioneer receiver is so that I would have it for future upgrades. I will do some research and check out the recommended receivers. I also am not against starting off with 2 speakers and then adding. What do you all think about getting that Pioneer receiver and buying to worthy mains?

I'm not sure what you mean by upgrades.. but the most important thing IMO is to make sure it has Pre-out so you can upgrade to seperate amps down the road... this is really the only "upgrade" you can make from a standard AVR... no high dollar AVR can touch the performance a beefie 60lb 3 channel amp like the Emotiva XPA-3 can give you.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Yea I would get the pioneer cause its a great receiver from what I have seen and then start off with the Pardigms SE1 for you fronts. You will suprised by their bass and you can add the center and surround later. I dont know what order you want to do the sub in but I dont have a sub now and Im ok with that. Im just concentrating on the 5 and the .1 later. I like this review here for the SE1 if you want to check it out.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/compac...peaker_system/

Truly amazing for its size and price.

·
Registered
255 Posts
as for speakers you should check out Vanns right now.. they have a really nice deal on Jamos if you're ok going with bookshelves for your mains.. they are really nice speakers.

·
Registered
809 Posts
shotty, the VSX-9040TXH is a great chose for a receiver. I just ordered one last Wed from Amazon...total cost was $509, and that includes shipping.

Since then they have raised the price to $599. I think you can do a little better than that if you can purchase from: http://www.camerakings.com/ViewProdu...30585&l=Nextag

If you have already purchased for $599, then it's still a great deal.

Canadian version of the VSX-21, exactly the same, just does not have the

THX nameplate.

Plenty of power, I suggest you read the 22 reviews of this receiver at the Amazon website

if you haven't already done so. It does have preamp outputs, which I need

because I'll be running an external Rotel power amp.

You mention Aperion 4t speakers, which are great and finished (very) nicely.

4t's are used for a smaller room (I have a 5t setup in a second home

theater area, great sound). Aperion has a 1 yr upgrade option, which you can use to get 5t's, 6t's etc.

vardo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts