AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't make up my mind about which receiver I should get, I will use a 5.1 or 5.0 speaker system, the main purpose will be music in stereo listening, my DVD player is a Pioneer HXD-575 with 1080i capability and my TV is a SONY KDL-40D2810 HD-Ready with 1080i capability.

Is it worth the extra 200$ to get all the extras and more output power from VSX-1018 over the VSX-918, I might think so mainly due to the use as a stereo speaker?

I did the head-to-head comparison at Pioneer's web, but that didn't answered all my questions.

EK

·
Registered
255 Posts
AFAIK, the 918 does not accept audio over HDMI, while the 1018 does. The 1018 also has TrueHD/DTS HD audio processing that the 918 lacks. Bottom line is that if you're thinking about doing Blu-Ray down the road, do the 1018 (seeing as how players with analog outs are getting rarer every day). If not, the 918 should suffice.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCentral /forum/post/15598444

AFAIK, the 918 does not accept audio over HDMI, while the 1018 does. The 1018 also has TrueHD/DTS HD audio processing that the 918 lacks. Bottom line is that if you're thinking about doing Blu-Ray down the road, do the 1018 (seeing as how players with analog outs are getting rarer every day). If not, the 918 should suffice.

My understanding is that the 918 cannot decode HD audio but it does accept HD audio through HDMI via PCM. This means that if you have a blu-ray player doing the decoding, such as a PS3, then you'll be just fine and will indeed be hearing HD audio.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahammer13 /forum/post/15598483

My understanding is that the 918 cannot decode HD audio but it does accept HD audio through HDMI via PCM. This means that if you have a blu-ray player doing the decoding, such as a PS3, then you'll be just fine and will indeed be hearing HD audio.

+1 One thing to consider is that most of the newer Blu Ray players are going bitstream which means the receiver needs to have decoders. The 1018 has them, the 918 does not. The 918 doesn't pipe out the OSD over HDMI. The 1018 has I believe a 9-band EQ and the 918 5-band. Those are the differences that come to mind.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 918, and have ps3 and xbox 360 input through hdmi and out to my panny 85u. No problems here, but I don't really know what version it is. Maybe 1.1 hdmi. All I know is I don't have anyproblems.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiz00tx /forum/post/15598672

Wait til the 819 comes out in April.

So much for CC's sale on the Denons. Back to the 1019 for me in April. I can wait a few months... Or just wait for the next Denons this year.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was trying to get in on those circuit city deals too. I was eyeing onkyo 606 and 706 receivers. CC is two blocks from my house. I went to check how many of each unit were left each time the percentage off increased. there was 5 of each and once the price hit 40% off the were magically gone next time I went. I think the employees may have bought them?

But after reading up on the onkyo I think i am better off without it. I plan to keep my reciever in a cabinet and apparently the onkyous run hot. Now I have been looking for a Pioneer 1018 but they are all pricier than they were months ago. Seems like a rare commodity. I would wait for the 1019 bu they are probably going to be pricier right out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts